GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Sigma > Sigma Gamma Rho
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,440
2 members and 2,438 guests
3DGator, zagelpitto2616

Old 08-11-2000, 06:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Pledging and membership to pregnant women and single mothers

Hello sorors and sisterfriends,

I have a question for you all. I have seen this topic on here before, and have responded, but I wanted to know what you all thought about it.

How do you feel about young ladies who are single parents or teenage mothers who want membership into our illustrious organization or any other BGLO for that matter.

Before you answer, I also want you to think about how you feel about men who are teen parents who want membership into a fraternity?

Just curious as to what you all think. I am not tying to start a flame or anything, because I am positive that we can talk about this subject maturely being that we are ladies of RHOalty.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-11-2000, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have any problems with teenage or single mother's being in our organization because we have to emeber all interests for undergrad has to have completed a certain amounts of semester of a 4 year college and be in college to even apply for membership.....and i think that we can all learn from each other...as far as grad don't forget again a 4 year college degree is required so I don't see a problem and I think that these people interests can only bring a new prespective to the chapter.
Old 08-11-2000, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT TWO LOVELY SORORS FROM MY CHAPTER JUST HAPPEN TO BE SINGLE MOTHERS. I HAVE A BETTER VIEW OF LIFE BECAUSE OF THEIR WISDOM AND INSIGHT OF CERTAIN THINGS. I COMMEND SINGLE MOTHERS WHO ARE FULL TIME STUDENTS, WORKING, AND WANT TO BE A MEMBER IN A SORORITY THAT REQUIRES A LOT OF TIME. THESE WOMEN ARE A LOT MORE MATURE AND THEY GET THE JOB DONE. I FEEL THAT SINGLE MOTHERS ARE NOT A BURDEN OR A BAD REPRESENTATION OF A SORORITY, BUT AN ASSET. IF THEY HAVE ALL OF THE REQUIREMENTS NEEDED PLUS THE TIME AND ENERGY NEEDED, THEN I AM READY TO WELCOME!!

------------------
the sexiest ladies in the world are laced in rubies and pearls.
Old 08-11-2000, 02:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi ladies. I just want to say that if a woman has it in her heart to be part of something, no matter if she is a single mother or teenager, then we should be proud of her. I myself am now a proud mother of a five month old son,and I think SGRHO will help me to become a better person and maybe even a better parent. Being a single mother teaches you things and you can pass those things on to your sorors. We should never turn away someone who is interested, because you never know what that person has to offer to us or any other org.

Sigma love to all
Old 08-11-2000, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Esperho, you took the words right out of my mouth. Much love sister. I welcome all hard working women. It takes a lot of strength to hold down a family, a social life, and an academic life.

Delight

"Sigma, nobody does it better"
Old 08-12-2000, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so happy to read this wonderful replies from you sorhors.

As many of you know I am the mother of a beutiful 3 (going on 20) year old boy and I really didn't see a problem, but on other forums I have constantly read how people felt that this should not be the case.

Thank you evryone for you responses.
Old 08-14-2000, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with all that has been said. I would like to know what do you think about a pregnant teenage girl joining the Rhoers?

------------------
To give is better than to receive.
Old 08-14-2000, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror SDiva22,
I think that's an excellent question also. I've never thought about it until now, but I'd have to say that we should accept pregnant teenagers or teenage moms into the Rhoer club also. We know what our Rhoer club's purpose is. Those aims and ideals should be put towards ALL tenage girls. Maybe even MORE SO towards teenage moms. Their Rhoer club and mentors in the sorority can serve as a suport system for her in a situation where they might not get it from too many others. Also, we can better prepare those young ladies, and those not in that situation, to learn to care for their bodies and prevent unwanted pregnancies from happening (again). And if it does happen, we let them know that they can do it; they'll have a netowrk of supportive people who care about them, their children, their goals, their education, and their future! Also, they'd get a chance to see so many strong women (as we all are) and this would let them know that they can do it too!
So I'm all for it!
Old 08-16-2000, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that that kind of support is exactly what a young mother needs too
Quote:
Originally posted by SoloRHO:
Soror SDiva22,
I think that's an excellent question also. I've never thought about it until now, but I'd have to say that we should accept pregnant teenagers or teenage moms into the Rhoer club also. We know what our Rhoer club's purpose is. Those aims and ideals should be put towards ALL tenage girls. Maybe even MORE SO towards teenage moms. Their Rhoer club and mentors in the sorority can serve as a suport system for her in a situation where they might not get it from too many others. Also, we can better prepare those young ladies, and those not in that situation, to learn to care for their bodies and prevent unwanted pregnancies from happening (again). And if it does happen, we let them know that they can do it; they'll have a netowrk of supportive people who care about them, their children, their goals, their education, and their future! Also, they'd get a chance to see so many strong women (as we all are) and this would let them know that they can do it too!
So I'm all for it!
Old 08-30-2000, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

This is a wonderful thought! If these young women are shunned everywhere they go there's no telling where they'll end up. I'm glad mentoring is a common goal among members of your sorority. That's beautiful!

In case you haven't guessed, I was a teenage mother and I would have loved to benefit from the caring support that you guys are exhibiting. On behalf of teenage mothers everywhere, thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoloRHO:
Soror SDiva22,
So I'm all for it!
Old 04-14-2004, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

How do you feel?

THis is a good topic. Let's discuss
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an Alpha Phi Omega/Alpha Phi Alpha frat (we are both in Both, he pledged APO after me, I joined Alpha after him) who was a teenaged father...I guess his son is in the first grade now. I was surprised, but I love him just the same. I think he is a good role model to his son. Also, I think there was a very positive vibe passed on by having his toddler at the school on some weekends. Like, that's where daddy gets his education on...ya know?

My point....as long as you takin' care of bidness as a FATHER FIRST...be you an aspirant or Frat, then you are okay in my book.

Deadbeat dads get no vote from me.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
I have an Alpha Phi Omega/Alpha Phi Alpha frat (we are both in Both, he pledged APO after me, I joined Alpha after him) who was a teenaged father...I guess his son is in the first grade now. I was surprised, but I love him just the same. I think he is a good role model to his son. Also, I think there was a very positive vibe passed on by having his toddler at the school on some weekends. Like, that's where daddy gets his education on...ya know?

My point....as long as you takin' care of bidness as a FATHER FIRST...be you an aspirant or Frat, then you are okay in my book.

Deadbeat dads get no vote from me.
While it's great that your frat was able to be a father first, there is a HUGE difference between being an expectant mother and an expectant father. Being pregnant is stressful enough without having to worry about joining an organization. I've seen single mothers go through their process, and it was HARD. But, I would be inclined to tell a pregnant woman it just wasn't her time.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rho4life
While it's great that your frat was able to be a father first, there is a HUGE difference between being an expectant mother and an expectant father. Being pregnant is stressful enough without having to worry about joining an organization. I've seen single mothers go through their process, and it was HARD. But, I would be inclined to tell a pregnant woman it just wasn't her time.
I didn't think this whole thread was about comparing the two. Since I am not in a sorority, I can't answer what I might feel about a teenaged mother joining an organization, so I answered the part of the question that was directed to fraternity men.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

woo-saaa

no one get their panites in a bunch, I was just pointing out that physically men and women are differnt. To me it's a liablity to put a pregnant woman "on line". With men, that same issue does not exist.

Single parenthood is different.