GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,835
0 members and 1,835 guests
No Members online

Old 02-12-2011, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Yes, some of those pictures of crossbreeds are terribly cute. Especially he ones that are crossbred with my silly little terrier's breed. That being said, responsible champion breeders (read not puppy mill or oh I wanted my children to experience the miracle of life idiots) work toward making the breed more vigorous and test extensively for known breed issues. They are also really into that breed. Why in hell would they want to breed their dogs to those of another breed for the sake of coming up with some hot for the moment mix? Yes, there are a couple of crossbreeds that have become popular (labradoodle comes to mind), but come on. So I don't believe that the top breeders are doing this. AND, if a crossbreed puppy comes from two purebreds that exhibit breed specific issues, i.e., temperment, heart, hip, respiratory, etc. issues, you can't tell me the puppy will not exhibit any of those problems and will automatically be healthier than any purebred.
Money money money money. MONEY.

Well that's the reason for the crossbreeders, it's probably very rare for the responsible ones to flip for the cash, though I'm sure it's happened once or twice.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 AM
GreekChat Member

THAT "scientist" is making THIS scientist do a facepalm.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbymidwest View Post
Yes, some of those pictures of crossbreeds are terribly cute. Especially he ones that are crossbred with my silly little terrier's breed. That being said, responsible champion breeders (read not puppy mill or oh I wanted my children to experience the miracle of life idiots) work toward making the breed more vigorous and test extensively for known breed issues. They are also really into that breed. Why in hell would they want to breed their dogs to those of another breed for the sake of coming up with some hot for the moment mix? Yes, there are a couple of crossbreeds that have become popular (labradoodle comes to mind), but come on. So I don't believe that the top breeders are doing this. AND, if a crossbreed puppy comes from two purebreds that exhibit breed specific issues, i.e., temperment, heart, hip, respiratory, etc. issues, you can't tell me the puppy will not exhibit any of those problems and will automatically be healthier than any purebred.
The real problem is that way that the closed pedigree system is set up pretty much guarantees that an already small gene pool continues to shrink each year. This is often exacerbated by overuse of popular studs (particularly now that artificial insemination is widely available) and line breeding to try and "fix" certain characteristics, which further reduces the overall degree of genetic diversity. Then you have the added problems of extreme interpretations of breed standard producing physiological exaggerations that can be deleterious to the dog's health and welfare (excessively short noses, bulging eyes, long backs etc).

As far as crossbreds are concerned, Labradoodles are a good example of crossbred breeders who are trying to do it right. Their breed clubs have been set up with the aim to try and remedy some of the mistakes that purebred breeders have made in the past, and avoid the health problems that plague certain breeds. The ILA (International Labradoodle Association) was the first (and perhaps still the only) dog club to make DNA testing for genetic diseases such as PRA (Progressive Retinal Atrophy, which causes blindness) mandatory. They made health and temperament (and not appearance) the priority in their breed standard. They also set strict limits on how closely related breeding dogs can be (in the purebred world, father/daughter and sister/brother breedings are not that uncommon).

If you haven't seen it already, there is an excellent documentary on the health problems in purebreds, "Pedigree Dogs Exposed" at http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/44215931
Old 02-14-2011, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

No one wants to watch your myspace videos.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It's not mine - it's the BBC
Old 02-14-2011, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactly. This is one thread on a board dedicated to something completely different that someone only posted to say "OMG! How redic!" in the first place.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem View Post
It's not mine - it's the BBC
The BBC should know better than to post on myspace.

OH WAIT. Stop linking pirated videos. Also stop extrapolating what's happening in the UK with the RSPCA with the rest of the world.

No we won't support your efforts to crossbreed newer and better labradorks.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The BBC should know better than to post on myspace. OH WAIT. Stop linking pirated videos.
No problem. Here's another link:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/pedigree-dogs-exposed/
Old 02-14-2011, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Because someone else putting it on youtube is totally better. Never mind that NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH YOUR DOCUMENTARY.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Here's the thing...unless you are a sorority member, or planning on AIing one (please don't), it's time for you to move on, bless your heart. Bye, now.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Because someone else putting it on youtube is totally better. Never mind that NO ONE WANTS TO WATCH YOUR DOCUMENTARY.
No need to yell. I'm sure there must be an ignore button somewhere on this forum if I'm annoying you. Life is too short
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

B
Quote:
No need to yell. I'm sure there must be an ignore button somewhere on this forum if I'm annoying you. Life is too short
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Here's the thing...unless you are a sorority member, or planning on AIing one (please don't), it's time for you to move on, bless your heart. Bye, now.
Quote:
Quote:
You don't take hints very well, do you?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That tag-team thing the two of you have going is cute. I'm sure there is also a report button if you feel the need
Old 02-14-2011, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I assumed you were blind and was trying to help you out. Now I know you're just obtuse.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I assumed you were blind and was trying to help you out. Now I know you're just obtuse.
As I said, it's a pity issues related to animal health and welfare can't be discussed without some people resorting to personal attacks.