GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Cool Sites

Cool Sites Know of a unique, cool & useful website? Please tell us about it here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,814
0 members and 1,814 guests
No Members online

Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 AM
GreekChat Member

People of Walmart

A friend passed this on and I haven't stopped laughing.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Last edited by NinjaPoodle; 09-02-2009 at 10:37 PM. Reason: fixed the link.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

/hijack!

Speaking of Walmart, have y'all seen this? :O

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/man...ng-129235.html

Man slaps stranger’s crying kid

By KATIE LESLIE

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

A Gwinnett County man is in custody accused of slapping a stranger’s crying toddler in a Stone Mountain Wal-Mart on Monday.

The mother of the 2-year-old child told police that both were walking in the aisles of the Rockbridge Road store when Roger Stephens, 61, approached and said “if you don’t shut that baby up, I will shut her up for you,” according to a police report.

A few moments later, in another aisle, Stephens grabbed the 2-year-old and slapped her across the face four or five times, according to the report.

Stephens then told the mom, “See, I told you I would shut her up,” according to the report.

A bystander held Stephens until store security came to assist, according to a WSB-TV report.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

The title made me laugh.

But then I saw the kid's age and how many times she got hit.

Yikes.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

lol none of this surprises me.

Walmart...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAgirl18 View Post
A friend passed this on and I haven't stopped laughing.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/

Yeah, laughing at the lower class is always a good time.

Thank goodness we're superior to those people.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 09-09-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

not funny

let's laugh at walmart for its labor practices
Old 09-09-2009, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfulgreek View Post
lol none of this surprises me.

Walmart...
Just out of curiosity, where do you shop? You seem to hold a lot of contempt for places like Walmart.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread should be interesting.......
Old 09-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

I don't shop at Walmart because of their labor practices.

I like Target. But I prefer to shop where I can't get groceries, clothes, and video games in the same building.

My friends are organization and labor researchers. When we have baby showers and other events, they will shoot you if you show up with a Walmart gift card or a gift that they know comes from Walmart. Either Target or someplace else.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: the sleeper cab of my tractor trailer all over the 48
Send a message via Yahoo to jojapeach
We definitely heard the story here in Atlanta, but I was wondering how the man had a mugshot without one single scratch or bruise. Thanks for posting with that last sentence. Now it all makes sense - except the AJC later publishing an article where his neighbors kinda called him a harmless loner - who slaps 2 year olds.

And go Target! Great shopping experience and decent labor practices.

Last edited by jojapeach; 09-09-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojapeach View Post
We definitely heard the story here in Atlanta, but I was wondering how the man had a mugshot without one single scratch or bruise. Thanks for posting with that last sentence. Now it all makes sense - except the AJC later publishing an article where his neighbors kinda called him a harmless loner - who slaps 2 year olds.

And go Target! Great shopping experience and decent labor practices.
I saw it and heard about it too. I REALLY want to know what that guy's deal is. Who thinks they can go around slapping other people's kids? I was trying to figure out if he was actually mentally ill or just a huge attention sponge who wanted to end up on the news.

I will say that I'm constantly amazed at how little attention my generation seems to give to making sure their kids act right in public, but I don't go to Walmart for the awesomely relaxing atmosphere anyway. AND I'd never dream of slapping someone else's kid. Just craziness.

And I'll say it: I don't think Walmart is obligated to have great labor policies. I think a lot of people hate them simply because they've been really effective at keeping unions out. I don't think every shop needs to be a union shop. Sure, there are areas and accusations that they could clearly do better, but they also employ a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have jobs at all.

I think it's fun to be smug and hate Walmart, but I think a lot of people just kind of jumped on the bandwagon and don't really give the labor practices of most business and industries any thought at all. (I don't mean the people in this thread or their well-informed colleagues obviously.) These other folks cruise though life believe that they are doing something meaningful avoiding Walmart in favor of Target while they continuing to frequent restaurants, nail salons, landscaping companies with illegal employees not even making minimum wage AND/OR pay zero attention to the labor conditions of the people making the products they buy.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to simply decide that it's better to spend money at people's employers rather than not spending money; I'm just saying that singling out one business for all your righteous indignation while blissfully ignoring others might not be quite as cool as you think.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSigkid View Post
Just out of curiosity, where do you shop? You seem to hold a lot of contempt for places like Walmart.
It just depends on what it is I'm purchasing.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know that I am not able to make what I would consider socially responsible choices in my purchasing choices 100% of the time. However, that does not give me a pass not to consider the impact my spending might have. I hate Wal-Mart - I avoid them whenever I can, but sometimes I do have to shop there. I do also check the tags of my clothing, ask where the shrimp I might order comes from, and support small local businesses as much as possible. You do what you can.

And I think the www.peopleofwalmart.com site is hilarious. I don't see it as a "class" thing - I also enjoy www.gofugyourself.com, which you can see as a higher socioeconomic class "peopleofwalmart.com", if you will. Bad fashion choices know no boundaries.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I prefer to leave my intarweb mocking to animals and inanimate objects, I like lolcats and I read cakewrecks.

I have no interest in mocking other people online because they're unfortunate, especially since I know not all those that shop at walmart are afflicted with the same poor fashion decisions. I try really hard not to do it. I've been known to raise my eyebrow at strange fashion choices, but to take pictures and post them online just seems kinda cruel - especially considering that I've made my fair share of fashion faux pas.

I will, however, completely bash trends. WTF? Why are people wearing leggings?!

I should add that Live-in likes the site, though. To each his own, I guess. He knows I don't like it.

Last edited by agzg; 09-10-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
(I don't mean the people in this thread or their well-informed colleagues obviously.)
Obviously.

My friends/colleagues and I are all well-informed and I, in particular, try to uphold certain standards for the places where I choose to spend my money. "Superstores" that have been worshipped for all the services they provide and money they make definitely have an obligation to not lose sight of the law and "humanity" for the pursuit of capitalism and profit. The same goes for any company that has been investigated for unfair treatment of employees, violation of child labor laws, and employing illegal/undocumented immigrants.