GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,285
2 members and 2,283 guests
No Members online

Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Arrow Survey for Class!

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get the general public's opinion on whether or not printed educational materials like books and magazines should be converted into e-reading format, so I made a short little survey online that I'm hoping will give me a better idea of what people other than my peers think. So if you don't mind I'd like you to fill out the survey, it has six multiple choice questions and should take two minutes tops. Thanks!!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TJCLKZ8

True to Gold and Double Blue, our Alpha Xi
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2010, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

i did it =)
Old 03-04-2010, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks I appreciate it

Old 03-04-2010, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Did it

It's an interesting topic and we were just talking about it in my teaching lit class.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Done. There was no comments option, but my general thought is that I do like the e-book option- as long as it is significantly less expensive. Otherwise, I want the full physical book. Chances are I'd print out the e-book anyway if it's a textbook (or at least the portion required for the class) because I remember things better when they're tactile, and you can write on them. Another perk of e-books is that they are usually searchable- I've used these types for certifications and it's been a lifesaver.

But I still have every single textbook I ever bought, and I have referenced some of them.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Done
Old 03-04-2010, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXiDMeesh View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get the general public's opinion on whether or not printed educational materials like books and magazines should be converted into e-reading format, so I made a short little survey online that I'm hoping will give me a better idea of what people other than my peers think. So if you don't mind I'd like you to fill out the survey, it has six multiple choice questions and should take two minutes tops. Thanks!!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TJCLKZ8

Not that there is an essay question (lol) but with Kindle and the iPad, some people may prefer to read their textbooks electronically. Personally, I like to highlight, underline, take notes and flag pages, so I wouldn't use them, but I think the option should be there.

Interestingly, there were rumors McGraw-Hill had an an exclusive contract with Apple to put their texts in e-format and they broke their non-disclosure agreement, breaking their contract, but the story was later retracted.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Took it.

As a faculty member, I'm interested in knowing what kind of response you get. One semester, I taught a class that used only one physical book (a cheap one, to boot) and many supplemental e-texts. (That's one of the benefits of Philosophy. Many classics have been available online - free - for years now.) I structured my class that way only once because of all the complaints I got. I guess it didn't matter that students could print the material if they wanted to; the biggest problem seemed to be the inconvenience of having to go online to read something. Maybe it wouldn't be so poorly received now that Kindle is available. ?? Interesting topic for a survey, though.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Took the survey. I'm like ree-Xi, I like to highlight, underline and flag my textbooks.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Took it

I personally don't have a preference, I see the good in both. I think an e-book would be awesome especially if it was significantly cheaper than a regular textbook. I am also one that likes to highlight, flag, etc but you could easily do that with an electronic version as well---you could print out the page/pages and highlight what you need. I think that would work better because you'd have easier access to the highlighted portion.

But I know that I can only look at the computer for a while before getting eye strain and headaches. I think that would be the case with e-books. I've never used Kindle or anything so I can't really comment on it.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

I'd have a few requirements:

1) Color highlighting -- in law school, I had this 8-color system for book briefing cases. It worked very well. To this day, when I'm briefing something, I still highlight the holdings of the cases I'm working with in orange and the pertinent facts in pink, etc. And I'll print from Westlaw just so I can do that. If you flip through one of my old case books, it's a very ROYGBIV experience.

2) Notation which appears in the margins. I like to write margins in the notes.

3) Able to do my own indexing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks to everyone who responded!! I got some interesting responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
Interestingly, there were rumors McGraw-Hill had an an exclusive contract with Apple to put their texts in e-format and they broke their non-disclosure agreement, breaking their contract, but the story was later retracted.
Didn't know this but I will be sure to look it up, it might add an interesting dimension to my presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
As a faculty member, I'm interested in knowing what kind of response you get. .
I'll be sure to post stats when I'm done
And I did appreciate yall's comments, so thanks again!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

1) Color highlighting -- in law school, I had this 8-color system for book briefing cases. It worked very well. To this day, when I'm briefing something, I still highlight the holdings of the cases I'm working with in orange and the pertinent facts in pink, etc. And I'll print from Westlaw just so I can do that. If you flip through one of my old case books, it's a very ROYGBIV experience.

My thoughts exactly. I did something very similiar to get through undergrad, and margin notes are a must.

Not to mention, I'd get tired of staring at a screen all day.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post

This.

I also like being able to have multiple books in front of me when doing research. You can't really do that with Kindle and such.

I don't mind an e-book if I'm just reading for pleasure, but in terms of academic/professional work, I need a physical copy.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm taking grad classes online. While I think it's great that for a flat fee per class that is included in our tuition, an E-book is provided, I like to be able to highlight as well, and I cant unless I print. So every week, I have to print the current lesson on my own printer at home, and ink is NOT cheap. While we are certainly more than welcome to buy the printed copy on our own dime, we are not able to opt-out of the e-text available with the class.