GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,395
3 members and 1,392 guests
aaexeyttsa3383, g41965

Old 09-23-2001, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
What to expect on Bid Day...?

Okay, so ahead of time I'm going to go ahead and apologize to anyone I might have pissed off lately. I'm really not a bad person, and I'm not a whore.

Believe me.

Bid day is Monday, Rush was last week and I'm soooooo nervous.

So what should I expect Monday if I get a bid?

What do you guys usually do for girls you extend bids to?

How do you go about doing it? What's the bid card say?

I'm just curious!

Jess
Old 09-23-2001, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Bid Day is Fun!

Have no idea what to make of your first few statements...but that's okay. It doesn't sound like something I want to know.

About bid day... Expect a party-like atmosphere. What happens at Texas Tech is this:

Ladies who get bids open their envelopes and discover which house they got.

Your bid card will probably read something like:

"Rhonda Rushee is cordially invited to become a member of XYZ Sorority."

It will likely be a variation of the above.

After reading their bid cards, new members board a charter bus to their new Greek home. All the current sorority members are assembled on the lawns in front of their houses. As the girls get off the buses there is cheering, excited screaming, happy tears, hugs...

Each sorority gives its new members a Bid Day shirt, which the girls change into.

We have a professional photographer on hand who takes tons and tons of photos. The new member class together, then the whole chapter, then the various new member classes, then Big/Lil Sisses, friends, fun pictures, silly pictures, serious pictures, you name it!

Then we usually have a big sisterhood party planned. For years the mayor of Lubbock hosted us at her home for a big reception (she's an Alpha Phi). More recently we've had pool parties, Barbecues, etc. This year we got 61 beautiful new members. We took them to a huge Bid Day Bash at a ranch outside of town. There were alums there too, which was awesome. We had a great time.

At the Bid Day event, dinner or snacks will be served, there is singing (we teach the new members some fun Alpha Phi songs), sisterhood events, games, and just plain fun!!

Our Bid Day events are usually casual dress (it is too hot in West Texas in August to expect more than shorts or casual khakis--especially when the events are outside!).

In short, expect fun, getting to know your new sisters and learning about your new sorority home.

Every School is Different... but expect fun, fun, fun!!!

Oh, I forgot! Our new members each get a Bear Buddy, who is a special friend to them during their first few weeks in Alpha Phi. Each week our new members get a new Bear Buddy, who is like a Big Sis. Bear Buddies call the new member, and give her lots of gifts and Alpha Phi paraphanalia. Over something like five weeks, each new member will have a different Bear Buddy, one of whom will eventually be revealed to be her Big Sis during Big Sis Discovery. Most sororities have a Big/Lil-type of program, but it varies from group to group.

Anyway, I hope this helped. Here's hoping you will find your sorority home tomorrow. Best wishes to you!

Cheers!
Jen

Last edited by TechAPhi; 09-23-2001 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-23-2001, 10:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up enjoy

have a ball and let things happen
cheers
mmcat
Old 09-23-2001, 11:17 AM

Jess,

It probably won't be as involved as TechAPhi's (although that sounds like a blast Jen!). Basically it will be a night of bonding and getting to know your new sisters. No boys, no booze. You will probably get a sponsor, who is someone who you can go to with questions until you get your official big sister.

Have a great time!
Old 09-23-2001, 11:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Hey 33, so on your bid night there were no boys or booze? See, there's the difference in state schools Our bid night was like this...

We went up to the gym where bid cards were handed out. You walked up to the table, and you were handed a card. You opened it outside the gym. If you accepted, you signed the card and went inside to get "collected" by your new sisters. If not, I guess they left, I don't know. In any case, then we went back to the house for about an hour and just talked and took lots of pictures, but then we went off to a fraternity house for our bid night party, which involved boys and booze, but nothing out of hand. It was just like a big party, and it was a blast. I will admit to having too much to drink, but all of the women who were up for little sisters had to stay sober to take care of the new members. Now this was 1993, so times have CHANGED! It was still one of the best nights!
Old 09-24-2001, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
Hey 33, so on your bid night there were no boys or booze?
Lord no, not on MY bid night, there were plenty o' both . We also had all the sororities running around campus singing and decorating doors. This is many moons ago of course. Now I think they have bid night on Sunday to eliminate the partying factor.