GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,478
2 members and 2,476 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 03-07-2005, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

subtle hazing

at this point, I'm a little afraid of them so I'm removing my post.

Thanks for the pm's and letting me know a few different viewpoints. I think I'm going to depledge but I'm too afraid of them to talk to any higher-ups about it. Three of my pledge sisters have already left.

Last edited by unsure05; 03-08-2005 at 03:21 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2005, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ambición6 Send a message via Yahoo to ambición6
I may be in the minority here, or maybe not, but w/o giving specific examples of what you are being made to do, well I can't really say IMO "yes, its hazing", or "no, its not"

either way, did you really expect a pledging process to be walk in the park.

I dont consider things like quizzes, line ups, having to learn information, wearing a pledge pin, etc hazing. but there is that thin line of course when quizzes and learning information can cross the line into hazing if you are being made to learn random information that is not going to be in your final exam or being treated like the personal slave of a member.

but again, w/o details, its an iffy situation. and then again, not being NPC, things that we do in our process would be considered outright hazing by other orgs (even though our National Board (which I sit on) does not consider it hazing).
Old 03-07-2005, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

A lot must be what you consider hazing.

If it is stress full to you, then it is.

But again, We do not know what you are made to do and dont really want to know. That is between you and your prospective group.

If you are made to learn certain things about the group, learn them.

If you are to stressed out, then get out only after you talk with you big or a member of the Officer Cadray.

If it is just making you try to learn, conform, or what ever, then do it if you feel comfortable with this group. If not then de associate.

You must have felt something to have joined them in the first place!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-08-2005, 06:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SirHornyToad
Honestly, if your looking for a shoulder to cry on, don't look on mine.

I wouldn't consider any of that hazing.

I am a Knight, I am called Sir. My pledges are squires, they are called squire so and so. Our rookies are rookies, they don't know shit, so they aren't allowed to always vote or have a say in things, as they havent seen how things work. Our rookies clean the house after our weekly meeting and are in charge of our recycling program.

About a month ago myself and my little brother were visiting a friend of mine at another univirsity and we went to some other frats party, when my drink ran out he got me another. When my drink ran out he got myslef and a girl i was talking to another. He did it without asking but knew his place and did it, one guy i was talking to at that frat asked if he was a pledge and i told him "no, he's my little brother, he's a rookie, he's suppossed to do that" and he replied saying they arent even allowed to have thier pledges do that. Honestly, whatever, thats pussy shit in my opinion. I love my brothers, especially my lil, But I learned my place when i was a dumb rookie who didn't know shit, and so will my lil brother.
Now, i would consider this hazing, but that is the different from NPC.

To the original question, you and you alone can determine what you feel is hazing. not to say that hazing can be subjective, but if you are reguired to do things that make you uncomfortable then to you it is hazing. I don't think that you owe anyone an explaination. If i were you, i would just leave. If i was asked why then i would give an explaination, but you should not feel obligated to give one. Also, i would write out a letter and send it to the national organization (if there is one) or the greek counsil at your school. Some one has to be in charge say a school administrator. I would tell them the simple facts. As clear and unemotional as possible. Right out how you see this non hazing policy consisting of hazing and how you feel that these actions should not occur and can be construde as hazing. Now, i know that i just said unemotional and then stated to include how you feel. I just want to be clear. You can express you feelings without including your emotions. Think of it like feeling out a police report. You need to include the facts,without biase.

Good luck,
debbie
Old 03-08-2005, 06:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to qteasied
No organization should ever be a reason why your grades are slipping. If they are, then they're not a positive part of your life.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:28 AM
Unregistered-

Before I joined AGD, I pledged a local that made their pledges do many of the things you mentioned. I knew these were good girls aside from the fact, and the reason why I pledged in the first place was because I was comfortable with them outside of the whole sorority thing.

During pledge period I became uncomfortable with the things they wanted us to do and I questioned whether or not I wanted to be a part of it because going along with it would be going against something I didn't really believe in.

Keep in mind that this was before GC...before I learned about different types of hazing...before I joined AGD so I didn't know about what the NPC's standards and things like that. When I approached the sisters of the local about my concerns, they knew it was hazing. They just did it because of "tradition".

You will get thousands of NPC women here on GC who will say that they things you mentioned are forms of hazing because..well, that's what we've been taught. Then you'll get members of other orgs who will say otherwise because they probably went through that stuff too -- and they got through it. That's their thing.

What's most important is where YOU draw the line. You've already established the fact that you don't agree with these things, so I think you're making a great decision. Don't let others tell you otherwise.

I don't know how your campus admin is like, so I can't tell you what to do as far as reporting them. I can tell you from my experience that I fully regret not going to the Director of RIOs...only because seeing them continue this BS has done nothing but give the Greeks on my campus a bad name.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am a Knight, I am called Sir. My pledges are squires, they are called squire so and so. Our rookies are rookies, they don't know shit, so they aren't allowed to always vote or have a say in things, as they havent seen how things work. Our rookies clean the house after our weekly meeting and are in charge of our recycling program.

About a month ago myself and my little brother were visiting a friend of mine at another univirsity and we went to some other frats party, when my drink ran out he got me another. When my drink ran out he got myslef and a girl i was talking to another. He did it without asking but knew his place and did it, one guy i was talking to at that frat asked if he was a pledge and i told him "no, he's my little brother, he's a rookie, he's suppossed to do that" and he replied saying they arent even allowed to have thier pledges do that. Honestly, whatever, thats pussy shit in my opinion. I love my brothers, especially my lil, But I learned my place when i was a dumb rookie who didn't know shit, and so will my lil brother.
Dude, why are you always trying to make your fraternity look so bad ass? Does it get you respect from anyone in real life? It sure gets you less respect around here and you look like a tool.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Unsure05, check your PM...

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Quote:

It doesn't really matter what you do or don't consider hazing. It's what the laws of any given state or rules of any university say that count -- whether you agree or not.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

I am a Knight, I am called Sir. My pledges are squires, they are called squire so and so. O
Do you joust? Do you have initiation at the Bristol Ren Faire?

Anyway, to the first poster - if it is stuff you aren't comfortable with and you can't see a clear purpose for doing it, I would talk to your pledgemaster/dean of intake/whatever her title is and tell her that you're unhappy, you personally feel like this is hazing, and you're unsure if you want to go through with the process.
Old 03-08-2005, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Do you joust? Do you have initiation at the Bristol Ren Faire?
It's the medieval times of fraternities! Totally reminds me of the Carnegie Mellon nerds that I would see dressed up in medieval costumes doing fake sword fighting and jousting over in the park that separates our campuses. Wow, those people were just SO cool

Old 03-08-2005, 12:00 PM

Hijack.

Having little to do with anything, I believe it is still true that only one state has a truly official State Sport. The state is Maryland and the sport is Ring Jousting.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled side show.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Extended hijack.

Texas' State Sport is the Rodeo --- no joke! it was a House Resolution in 1997 And our dance is the square dance so you know we are cool.....
Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Banned

I laughed when he called y'all pussies.

I laughed when you guys asked if he jousted.

I laughed when I learned the official sport of Maryland.

-Rudey
Old 03-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
It's the medieval times of fraternities! Totally reminds me of the Carnegie Mellon nerds that I would see dressed up in medieval costumes doing fake sword fighting and jousting over in the park that separates our campuses. Wow, those people were just SO cool

Actually, there are many fraternities that have different titles for their members besides "initiates" and "pledges". Many are national fraternities. Let's not bag on him for that. There are other things...

I really don't get into lecturing individuals from small local fraternities. I seem to recall him saying they had around 6 members or so.. (maybe I'm wrong?).

Whether 6 guys want to have "tradition", make younger guys get them drinks and stuff like that or not is really nothing I'm going to ever worry about. Horny, your group is called the "Lancers" or something like that, right? It doesn't even take on a Greek name..

If it's illegal where you're at, it's on you and your alums if something should go wrong.. You obviously know that, and are continuing to do it. I could care less whether you get caught or not. Whether you do or not will make no difference in all likelihood to anyone not associated with your group. Best of luck doing what y'all do.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma