GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,358
0 members and 1,358 guests
No Members online

Old 03-25-2003, 02:39 AM
GreekChat Member

They are our fellow citizens too

This is just a reminder of thoughts that should be obvious for all of us, but may be forgotten in our panic and rush for revenge across the ocean.

I attended a Shuruq Week Event tonight. "Shuruq" means light, and these events are a response to the backlash of anger, hatred, and predjudice that muslim, middle eastern, and even southeast asian americans recieved following the wake of 9/11. It was a reaction felt especially strong here in NYC for obvious reasons. This weeklong series of lectures, performances, and panels are meant to bring understanding to students about their muslim/middle eastern colleagues, and the traditions, culture, and religious backgrounds that shape their experience as a muslim in America.

A woman who performs in the Def Comedy Jam on Broadway spoke tonight on her experiences as a writer, poet, and performer. She is the first Palestinian actress to have a leading role on broadway. She spoke of how her experiences with hostility and misunderstanding have grown heavily over the past two years. She described performances where people would walk out when her act began. She described being asked by people on the street why she was here("why don't you go back to Iraq?"), in the only place she has known to be home. She talked about her relatives in Baghdad, a city where over 50% of the population are children under 16, who do not understand why their homes are being bombed. She talked of her white friends, who found it easy to justify death in another country though she had comforted them in their despair on 9/11. She does not support Saddam Hussein. She does not believe in this war. She believes in this country and its power to do good, though she feels that it has gone astray in those good intentions.

I saw many Middle Eastern students tonite, some in traditional garb, and others in jeans. I saw nothing of the stereotypes we have come to find portrayed through the media. They were all at once the embodiment of two identities: Ethnic(Iranian, Egyptian, Palestinian, Saudi Arabian, Iraqi), and Americans. They had all come together to denounce violence and predjudice, and to celebrate the positive contributions of their past, which are vast.

Please, remember, not just you yourselves, but for others that you interact with, that Middle Eastern Americans are our fellow citizens and deserve no less support and understanding, indeed I would say they deserve more now than before, because they have unwillingly been thrust into a spotlight, often as villains by the US media. Do not let your fear or anyone else's fuel an unfounded hate or distrust. They deserve our support as much as anyone else.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-25-2003, 06:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree with parts of THIS post by you. However this part is way, WAY off!

I would say they deserve more now than before, because they have unwillingly been thrust into a spotlight, often as villains by the US media. Do not let your fear or anyone else's fuel an unfounded hate or distrust. They deserve our support as much as anyone else.

Wrap this up in a pretty bow and send it to al jazeera!
Old 03-25-2003, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Quote:
Originally posted by justamom

I'll ask you this...have you ever actually watched it? I guarantee you that you are safer in the streets of Dubai, Cairo, Damascus, etc than any middle easterner is on the streets here.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by swissmiss04
I'll ask you this...have you ever actually watched it? I guarantee you that you are safer in the streets of Dubai, Cairo, Damascus, etc than any middle easterner is on the streets here.
I think this is a gross oversimplication. I apologize that I can't tell you why what you wrote is not the case, but having spoken to people who have experienced two of three of these places firsthand, I can assure you that your statement is not necessarily true.

Now, to get this thread back on track...I am a firm believer in judging people on their own merits and not buying into stereotypes no matter what someone's ethnic background is.

Last edited by KillarneyRose; 03-25-2003 at 09:23 AM.
Old 03-25-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for being civilized
Old 03-25-2003, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by justamom
Couldn't agree more with that. They are a black eye to broadcasters and journalists all over the world.

On the other hand (and I'm sure JAM would agree), I have a friend from high school who is of Lebanese decent and who has taken some flack from Americans because she looks Arab.

She was born in Ohio, as were her father and mother.

There is no excuse for ill treatment of her and her family.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 03-25-2003, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Al Jazeera and other Arabic media are not really all that bad. If you agree on the premise (which I don't) that Palestine is an occupied state then usually you'll find their coverage to be pretty fair. So much so that several Arabic countries with more authoritarian rulers have banned Al Jazeera.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-25-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I like Kahlid. He's a cool guy.
Old 03-25-2003, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, who's Khalid??