GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,450
1 members and 1,449 guests
MSKKG

Old 06-27-2001, 07:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to DOVE1920 Send a message via Yahoo to DOVE1920
Question Tech-Zeta?

Last year I attended a Greek conference and we discussed the need for our organizations to become more internet-savvy and technological. So what do you think about doing the following things on the net:
1. downloading/sending membership applications
2. accessing/sending chapter forms
3. registering for conferences
4. ordering sorority items(pins,etc)

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-27-2001, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Most Sorors who are Internet-savvy have long been in favor of this. We've discussed it on the FW listserv at length. We are getting to this point with IHQ. I think changes in this area are coming sooner rather than later.

------------------
Finer Womanhood: the "Cat's Meow" Since 1920
Old 06-28-2001, 10:29 AM

Lightbulb

cost effective...convenient...advanced...all pluses...it makes no sense for the world around you to be advancing at high pace...the world you want to assist through service...and you not keep up with it...so as a non-member...i see all of those as an advantage...and it can help chapters run much more smoothly administrative wise...

[This message has been edited by CelestialBlu1 (edited June 28, 2001).]
Old 06-28-2001, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by counting:
However, I must placed a thorn in some of your ideas (this is only out of love). First, downloading applications sounds good. However, if a someone downloads an application, she would still need to meet with the sorority. Now for me, personally I would prefer that someone asked for an application than have them download it. Now, registering on the web to update your member status is a superb idea. No waiting in line, no waiting for the mail. Oops, there is a downside. Sometimes, it is best that there is more than one options, mail, internet, and phone. If you choose one option, you will be heading for disaster.
So going hi-tech sounds great. But do not ignore the other solid options you have.
Acutally, I would assume the downloading of any chapter materials, including membership applications, would be for chapters only. We do not give out memebership materials without a formal Invitational, as any Soror familiar with the MIP knows. Additionally, many chapters are composed of more seasoned Sorors who do not have ready access to the Internet. As such, the other forms of communication we currently use would continue to be valid.

Old 06-28-2001, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel0497
"However, I must place a thorn in some of your ideas (this is only out of love). First, downloading applications sounds good. However, if a someone downloads an application, she would still need to meet with the sorority. Now for me, personally I would prefer that someone asked for an application than have them download it."

I understand what you are saying, I would have prospectives ask me for the application as well. But what if IHQ set up a sorors' only utility (like I've seen for other orgs)where members could update chapter contact info, and download forms like the supply order form, applications, financial reporting forms, and such. That way, if a chapter is short on time and needs them, they are available. Like Shelacious said, these ideas have been tossed around for a while, and hopefully changes can be made in this area soon.

------------------
The Women of Zeta Phi Beta...Simply Irresistible!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-28-2001, 02:13 PM

Lightbulb

even better...a totally electronic application...kind of like most colleges have now...where you can fill it out on-line...say at/whenever the appointed time is to turn in applications...that way...there is no paper...and to ensure applications aren't lost due to electronic failures...just keep back ups on disk like you do any other important file...for any other forms you may need...for whatever purpose...as long as you have a print option once the form is submitted electronically and there is a clear message at the end of filling out the form stating something like "please print for your own record in case there is a problem during submission"...and there are always electronic backups made at the other end...you shouldn't have many problems...

[This message has been edited by CelestialBlu1 (edited June 28, 2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

All chapters of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority should be linked together. With this new technology, I do not know why the National Website does not have any official chapter link page.

However, I must placed a thorn in some of your ideas (this is only out of love). First, downloading applications sounds good. However, if a someone downloads an application, she would still need to meet with the sorority. Now for me, personally I would prefer that someone asked for an application than have them download it. Now, registering on the web to update your member status is a superb idea. No waiting in line, no waiting for the mail. Oops, there is a downside. Sometimes, it is best that there is more than one options, mail, internet, and phone. If you choose one option, you will be heading for disaster.
So going hi-tech sounds great. But do not ignore the other solid options you have.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GiggyZ
As mentioned by Shelacious, we are moving in the direction of using the technology to enhance our organizational communications and administration.
Old 06-29-2001, 06:02 PM

Lightbulb

In terms of websites I think we should set guidelines as to what information Sorors can put on the web. Personally I hate seeing sloppy websites or sites that don't have a calendar of events. If anyone needs help with websites we should have a list of knowledgable Sorors available. But I think there should be a move to make sure every chapter has a site and is connected to the webring.

[This message has been edited by DOVE1920 (edited June 29, 2001).]
Old 06-29-2001, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by DOVE1920:
In terms of websites I think we should set guidelines as to what information Sorors can put on the web.
Soror...this is something the organization is currently working on at a national level with the appropriate taskforce. If you are interested in being kept abreast of recent activities within the Sorority, I encourage you to become a member of the FW listserv, if you are not already a member. There is more information disseminated about the organization in that forum than you will find on a public medium.
Best, Shela

------------------
Old 06-30-2001, 09:59 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Shelacious:
I encourage you to become a member of the FW listserv, if you are not already a member. There is more information disseminated about the organization in that forum than you will find on a public medium.
Best, Shela
Actually I was on FW a while back and when I tried to discuss something that was sorority-business I was told that FW was not the place to do so....
And if these ideas have been talked about at length what is taking so long...aren't we action oriented? Some of these ideas can be taken care of in one day...

[This message has been edited by DOVE1920 (edited June 30, 2001).]
Old 07-01-2001, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Sorors,

I must say that at times it frustrates me to know that Zeta is technically behind. Baing a Computer Science major I know that there are endless possibilities of how our chapter to chapter, chapter to headquarters, communications can be improved. I think that the advent of Soror Utilities located on the international website would improve membership and financial transactions greatly.

As it was stated before on the Finerwoman listserv, sorors may not recieve information about conferences and others events in a timely manner. It would be helpful to beable to register for these events on our website.

I think it would be helpful also to submit membership applications on the site. However it can only be accesed by sorors and can only be presented to prospectives at the appropriate time.

Havng come across this topic I am feeling a strong desire to be apart of implanting these utilities.

If anyone could give me the information I have some questions:

1. Has our "Technology Task Force" already begun implementing these Ideas??? (I would assume that this would be those incharge of the international website and/or Finerwoman)

2. If I was interested in giving my talents to such a project who would I contact?

3. What has our International Executive Board said about such proposals?

4. Have any of these ideas or something similar been proposed at any of the Boule's?
(I havent been fortunate to attend one yet)

[This message has been edited by BlueIce4 (edited July 01, 2001).]
Old 07-01-2001, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Soror Dove1920, I'm sorry you've had that experience. As we are all Sorors, we all have the right to make our views known on any private medium. As one of the more active posters on the FW, I can say that no Soror has ever denied me the opportunity to make my views known.

Soror BlueIce4, I feel your pain, and I would suggest you post to the FW your request so that our resident FW phylacter and historian can provide to you the information you need.

Best, Shela

------------------