GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Omega

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,095
0 members and 1,095 guests
No Members online

Old 11-04-2003, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

APO Symbols

Since we're starting a new chapter of APO at our college,
we've run across 2 questions our full-of-it (knowledge of
course ) Section Leader, the honorable John Strada,
didn't know:

1. may members of interest groups get T-shirts with the
greek letters (APO of course) on them (as long as it
says "xxx Interest Group" below):
For: it makes GREAT recruiting and getting your name out....
everyone asks "What is APO?"
Against: we're not initiated yet

I've noticed APO event (formal, party, etc) T-shirts with
APO letters on them that would be worn by non-members
(a member's formal date, for instance).

2. Can a member purchase a formal APO Badge, like the
ones used in the 70's and earlier....they might have
jewels (pearls) and chapter guards (chapter letters
attached by a chain). The only item in the APO Store
online is a cheap, flat, unjeweled key of the same
design. I haven't seen any mention of where to buy
a "jeweled" badge.

Here's a photo of an old one I bought off EBay (can't wear it
until I'm initiated, of course):

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-04-2003, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay Georgetown! (I went to the other one.)

The following opinions are that of strictly Senusret I and are in no way meant to reflect national policies.

1. The rules (as I know them) are that Petitioning Group members may wear letters. (I don't think Interest Groups or Prospect Groups may wear letters.)

My Opinion: I AM STRONGLY OPPOSED TO NON-BROTHERS WEARING LETTERS!!!!!!!! Now, let the floodgates open, but if you have not been initiated, then I do not feel you should wear letters, even if you do have some symbol that says "Petitioning Group" on it. I think that you should be able to wear anything that has the words written out such as "Alpha Phi Omega" if you wish to advertise your presence on campus. But honestly, I do not buy the rationale that wearing letters is advertisement. I PERSONALLY don't want anyone who notices our letters and not our service.

I KNOW what the national policy is, and it SUCKS. If you haven't earned them, don't wear them. And no, if you haven't been initiated, then you haven't earned them.

(Joiner, this is not an attack on you, I just feel really passionate about this subject. I am glad you are asking for opinions.)

2. As of last year, APO was without a jeweler, so I have no idea what we're doing about badges. I bought one when I was an undergrad, and the damn thing broke. (A nice pearl badge.) I tried to buy a new one, and that's when they told me APO was in between jewelers.

Call headquarters! They are helpful.
Old 11-05-2003, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

That badge is gorgeous!! My chapter was given small service pins at initiation. I thought that was the standard. Could be wrong.

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 11-05-2003, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Our regional symbol is the 8 ball, because we are in region 8.

I agree w/ Senusret I, non-brothers wearing our letters is a no-no!
Old 11-05-2003, 09:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erica812
That badge is gorgeous!! My chapter was given small service pins at initiation. I thought that was the standard. Could be wrong.

Erica
Erica, you are right, the Service Pin is the standard.

I WISH that our badge was the standard, because it really is pretty beautiful.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Senusret I
Yay Georgetown! (I went to the other one.)

The following opinions are that of strictly Senusret I and are in no way meant to reflect national policies.

1. The rules (as I know them) are that Petitioning Group members may wear letters. (I don't think Interest Groups or Prospect Groups may wear letters.)

My Opinion: I AM STRONGLY OPPOSED TO NON-BROTHERS WEARING LETTERS!!!!!!!! Now, let the floodgates open, but if you have not been initiated, then I do not feel you should wear letters, even if you do have some symbol that says "Petitioning Group" on it. I think that you should be able to wear anything that has the words written out such as "Alpha Phi Omega" if you wish to advertise your presence on campus. But honestly, I do not buy the rationale that wearing letters is advertisement. I PERSONALLY don't want anyone who notices our letters and not our service.

I KNOW what the national policy is, and it SUCKS. If you haven't earned them, don't wear them. And no, if you haven't been initiated, then you haven't earned them.

(Joiner, this is not an attack on you, I just feel really passionate about this subject. I am glad you are asking for opinions.)

2. As of last year, APO was without a jeweler, so I have no idea what we're doing about badges. I bought one when I was an undergrad, and the damn thing broke. (A nice pearl badge.) I tried to buy a new one, and that's when they told me APO was in between jewelers.

Call headquarters! They are helpful.
1. AFAIK, there is no rule that allow for Petitioners to wear letters UNLESS it also says "Petitioning Group". Thus PGs can have t-shirts that say "Alpha Phi Omega Petitioning Group" or APO in greek letters with "Petitioning Group. They can't wear 'letter shirts' or 'stich shirts'.

2. AFAIK, we DO have a jeweler: Awards Concepts. Also, call the APO Collection at 716-256-1540 http://members.aol.com/aphio/ They are also a source for APO Jewelery.

The APO Store at the National Office has NEVER been the source of APO jewelery (badge, key, etc).

Hope this helps
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-05-2003, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Quala67
1. AFAIK, there is no rule that allow for Petitioners to wear letters UNLESS it also says "Petitioning Group". Thus PGs can have t-shirts that say "Alpha Phi Omega Petitioning Group" or APO in greek letters with "Petitioning Group. They can't wear 'letter shirts' or 'stich shirts'.

Actually, the policy does not say that "letter shirts" or "stitch shirts" are not allowed. In fact, a resolution was proposed - and passed - to have a standard button offered by the National Office so that Petitioners could wear lettered items with a button that says "Petitioning Group." These buttons are available, and any and all Petitioning Groups are encouraged to order some from the National Office.

Alumnus, Zeta Beta/Va Tech and ADI/VCU
Advisor, Alpha Beta Omega/ODU, Phi Mu/NSU, & AZPhi/Regent U
Old 11-05-2003, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emb021
1. .......they can't wear 'letter shirts' or 'stich shirts'.
They can and they do, I have seen it. But nobody checks them on it. Note that I am not in disagreement on what the rules are, just adding that they are frequently broken.

Quote:
2. AFAIK, we DO have a jeweler: Awards Concepts. Also, call the APO Collection at 716-256-1540 http://members.aol.com/aphio/ They are also a source for APO Jewelery.

The APO Store at the National Office has NEVER been the source of APO jewelery (badge, key, etc).
If Awards Concepts is who we were using back in 99 when I first was initiated, then they were not our jeweler as of last year, when I tried to order a replacement pin. I was told by someone at the National Office that we don't use them anymore and that we were looking for a new jeweler.

If we are back to Awards Concepts, or if they are a new jeweler, then let me know.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

If Awards Concepts is who we were using back in 99 when I first was initiated, then they were not our jeweler as of last year, when I tried to order a replacement pin. I was told by someone at the National Office that we don't use them anymore and that we were looking for a new jeweler.

If we are back to Awards Concepts, or if they are a new jeweler, then let me know.
When I ordered my jewelery in 99 or so, it was thru Preferred Greek. They sold out to Award Concepts and I later ordered stuff from them a year or two ago. When last I checked a year or so with the National Office, Award Concepts was our Jeweler. I will have to ask, but as I said, you can also try the APO Collection as well. I know Jordan also had badges. The APO Collection is the source for a lot of the stuff the National Office sells and Jordan is a Brother and gives a portion of his profits to the National Org.
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-05-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay cool......thanks for the info.
Old 11-05-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Here is the answer I just got from our NED:

"We no long do business with Awards Concepts. Our new jeweler is Burr Paterson and Auld. They have been ramping up to make our merchandise and I am hopeful that they will have our new jewelry website up before Thanksgiving. "
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-05-2003, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ah even better....thanks a lot!
Old 11-06-2003, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Erica, you are right, the Service Pin is the standard.

I WISH that our badge was the standard, because it really is pretty beautiful.
The Service Pin is a standard in our ceremony because it is inexpensive. It costs $4, so its easy for a Chapter to make sure every new member gets on (most include it in the cost of their pledging fees). The Service Pin was created to be a low-cost alternative to the Badge.

A basic Badge (no pearls, no gold) is about $15-20. So expecting pledges to pay that extra money to get a badge as part of their induction could turn some away. Adding a chapter guard will add another $12-15, officer dangles another $12 each.

The Badge IS the standard sign of membership in APO, and something that EVERY Brother should try to obtain. But I understand that the cost can turn some away from doing so.

Here is an idea. One chapter (sadly defunct) which was very success at fundraising, set aside a portion of funds in an account. Based on the fundraisers you worked on and the hours, so much money was credited to you. These funds could ONLY be used for: 1) getting a Life Membership or 2) purchasing an APO Badge. Something to think about if your chapter is good at fundraising.
Section 71 Chair
Old 11-06-2003, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: APO Symbols

Quote:
Originally posted by JoinerLxa
Sorry to be late on this.
Quote:
Since we're starting a new chapter of APO at our college,
we've run across 2 questions our full-of-it (knowledge of
course ) Section Leader, the honorable John Strada,
didn't know:
Horrors!
Quote:

1. may members of interest groups get T-shirts with the
greek letters (APO of course) on them (as long as it
says "xxx Interest Group" below):
For: it makes GREAT recruiting and getting your name out....
everyone asks "What is APO?"
Against: we're not initiated yet

I've noticed APO event (formal, party, etc) T-shirts with
APO letters on them that would be worn by non-members
(a member's formal date, for instance).
As was stated, this is limited to Petitioning Groups, and the button mentioned by Ms. Conover. For IG, You'd want something that says the greek letters spelled out in English. The "Alpha Phi Omega makes great leaders, you're following one" T-shirt that I've seen is a great one. Unfortunately by the time it's warm enough for T-shirts again, you all may be ready for your PG Ceremony. 1/2

Quote:

2. Can a member purchase a formal APO Badge, like the
ones used in the 70's and earlier....they might have
jewels (pearls) and chapter guards (chapter letters
attached by a chain). The only item in the APO Store
online is a cheap, flat, unjeweled key of the same
design. I haven't seen any mention of where to buy
a "jeweled" badge.
They have used the same unjeweled badge has the badge that brothers get at initiation since the mid 1930's I believe. Having a standard brother pin that can be worn just about everywhere is part of what makes us viewed as a "cheap frat". As for the Jeweled version, the National Office has sold them, but for most brothers, the unjeweled version serves.

Quote:

Here's a photo of an old one I bought off EBay (can't wear it
until I'm initiated, of course):

I wondered who outbid me.