GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 1,313
0 members and 1,313 guests
No Members online

Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

On Campus effect of APhiA, KAPsi and IPT in NIC?

On your campus (presumably a HWI), is there way in which Alpha Phi Alpha, Kappa Alpha Psi and Iota Phi Theta are treated differently than Omega Psi Phi and Phi Beta Sigma because of their membership in the North American Interfraternity Conference (NIC)?
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Beta Sigma is also a member of the NIC.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but on some HWI campuses, Alpha Phi Alpha, Iota Phi Theta, Kappa Alpha Psi and Phi Beta Sigma are considered members of the IFC simply because they are members of the NIC. This is in addition to them being a member of the NPHC campus counsel as well. I bring this up because there may be certain aspects of being a member of the IFC that may be to their advantage. I’m thinking of additional resources around programming and access to additional campus funds.

FYI: Similar to the NPC and NPHC counsels, the NIC is moving toward establishing IFCs which are supported by the NIC. In the past, IFCs were campus specific and could be vastly different campus to campus. The NIC now advocates that if there are two or more NIC fraternities on a campus (similar to NPHC and the NPC), then a campus IFC (supported by the NIC) should form. The NIC also advocates that any non NIC fraternities on campus be allowed to be a full member of the campus IFC.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Missed the Sigmas...

So four out of five.

I wonder then what sort of things that the Omegas lose out on for not being NIC. (And if there is a particular reason that they haven't joined).

Note, whether or not the Omegas also join the NIC, the sororities of the NPHC will join the NPC not just after pigs fly, but after one of those flying pigs has been elected President of the United States of America.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

What the NPC and NIC do is not remotely comparable. As far as IFCs go, those tend to have nothing to do with the NIC except that the NIC is a nice resource. NIC deals more with fraternities on a NIC to HQ platform than NIC to chapter. Also, there are a few non-NIC members which benefit from being part of IFCs because that's their historical niche. Kappa Sigma, for example.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2014, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
What the NPC and NIC do is not remotely comparable. As far as IFCs go, those tend to have nothing to do with the NIC except that the NIC is a nice resource. NIC deals more with fraternities on a NIC to HQ platform than NIC to chapter. Also, there are a few non-NIC members which benefit from being part of IFCs because that's their historical niche. Kappa Sigma, for example.
Perhaps. However, the NIC is moving toward establishing IFCs which are supported by the NIC. My speculation is that the NIC may move more toward an NPC or NPHC model down the line. I don't know if the NIC wants more "control" per say, but perhaps more similar or unified IFC systems across the NIC/IFC land.

For what it is worth, I don’t see the NPC and NIC being “that far apart” now. The main difference now seems to be regarding recruitment and how chapters are established on a campus. In that regards, the NIC is more like the NPHC. Which may be why four of the five NPHC fraternities are also members of the NIC.

Also, the NPC does not dictate or govern any of the 26 member sororities (just like the NIC doesn't govern any of the 75 NIC members). The NPC has the “Unanimous Agreements” which (I'm sure I'll be corrected) seem to have a greater role with respect to recruitment and how chapters are selected for a campus. The NIC have their Resolutions that cover recruitment and expansion.

And as I noted up thread, the NIC encourages non NIC members to join the IFC - Kappa Sigma (as you noted) and Phi Delta Theta being members of most (if not all) campus IFCs. For what it is worth, there are informal discussions between the two fraternities and the NIC about them returning as members. So it would behoove the NIC to encourage the two to be members of the IFC as well.

In any case, here are some links from the NIC site regarding IFCs.

Interfraternity Council Affiliation

INTERFRATERNITY COUNCILS (IFC) exist where two or more NIC member fraternities exist on a campus. This affiliation with the NIC provides direct resources and services to IFC Officers and IFC Advisors to further the health and success of their respective fraternity communities. Chartered IFCs receive resources and services throughout the academic year, as well as significant discounts on IFC merchandise and NIC educational programming registrations.

More on Resources for Chartered IFCs may be found here along with a list of the Interfraternity Councils.