GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,213
1 members and 1,212 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Question Beds beds beds

My move from Dubai to Orange County is imminent and I've begun selling off most of our stuff. To ease the move and reduce the shipping cost, we're selling virtually all of our furniture and starting over. If we shipped everything, it would arrive in 2-3 months and we'd be in either hotels or very expensive furnished apartments in the interim. We will have to buy a new bed and I'm wondering about people's opinions. I want a Sleep Number bed for a variety of reasons EXCEPT cost (and am even considering buying used, but there is something really gacky about buying a used bed) but my husband doesn't seem to remember us oohing and aaahing in the store over how awesome it was and he's giving me a little blow-back. So that's the background.

What kind of bed do you have/wish you had and why?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:39 AM
GreekChat Member

I want a Tempurpedic bed. Desperately. It's like the baby bear's bed: not too hard, not too soft. Just right.

Definitely ICK on the used bed. Unless it's someone that I know. Very well. Like my mom. Also, bedbugs are now an issue everywhere. I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a tempurpedic in our master bedroom and a knock off memory foam bed in the spare. If you are going memory foam - get a tempurpedic! The knock off we have is terribly uncomfortable and you almost always wake up with a back ache.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

We have a latex foam from Bassett Furniture that I adore. It's got that firm (we like extra firm) underlying feel with a layer of soft on top. DD worked at Bassett at the time, so we got a great discount. I doubt we'll be able to afford to replace it without a discount!
I wondered about the Sleep Number system...we don't have a store at a nearby mall so I never could actually lie on one. I wondered if there was any noise from the air pump.
Previously, we went through 3 different mattress sets in about 9 years. they just don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe our mattress is a Sealy top of the line. My husband does not go cheap when it comes to his sleep. Best mattress I ever had. Unfortunately it is 13 years old and it’s time for a new one.
I did read an article about 10 things you should never buy used and one of them was a mattress. (I believe it was on yahoo.) The reason was bed bugs.
Good luck on your move. I wish we could sell all our stuff but we have too many antiques that are valuable.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a Tempurpedic bed, and as far as I'm concerned, we will have ONLY Tempurpedic beds for the rest of our lives. If they start to sag, they'll send out a representative to come check it out. If there's a dip in the bed, they'll swap your out with a new one. We're on our second Tempurpedic in 10 years, and the representative was embarrassed that the first one didn't last longer. It's a great bed and a great company.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

That's interesting about their warranty and something definitely in their favor. Even with expensive beds (or anything else) you can still get a lemon.

One of the things I like about the sleep number bed is when it's taken apart (not a part ) it goes down to a much smaller item. Obviously. Sans the air it's a lot smaller, and the exterior walls can be replaced as they wear out without having to replace the part of the bed that lasts forever - the top. Portability is something I will always have in mind since I don't think we're done moving ridiculously far away. We love our current bed, but #1, it's square, 200 cm X 200 cm (4 inches longer and 4 inches narrower than a king bed) so it's huge and would add a ton (well, not literally) to the shipping cost, and #2 sheets are a bear to find for them. Even here, but that's a whole separate issue about how crazy and inconsistent bedding is here. King sheets fit it, but not exactly right.

Keep the reviews and suggestions coming! I am cheap cheap cheap on a lot of things, but you can't live if you can't sleep.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

We bought a Tempurpedic last April and I'm sold on it. We bought a new platform bed/headboard to go with it - and my only regret there is that we're a bit low to the ground.

But for my money, the Tempurpedic has been a great investment. I'm a side sleeper, love a good firm mattress, and this has been top notch.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Ok .. I'm an old school hippie :-) I have had a water bed for over 30 years. I loved it in the 1980s and I love it now. Easy to take apart when you move and move the pieces. As warm or as cool as you want, as firm or as soft was you want. Its getting hard to find sheets .. but I've found the the right ones with the right depth for the fitted sheet work just fine.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

We looked at Tempurpedic and passed on it for a variety of reasons. We're now sold on Original Mattress Factory, which was recommended to us by a number of friends, but they're only in parts of the country, most east of the Mississippi. Very comfortable, great support, double-sided, good prices.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine is a Sealy also. top top of the line with a big ole' pillow top. We had our waterbed for 25 years & swore by it...but finally grew up & got a Big People Bed..LOL

Took me forever to decide on one because I get hip-aches from normal mattresses. I tried every mattress at every store a gazillion times. The sales people hated me.

I love my mattress & have never had a bad night's sleep. OH & Pillows are important too!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a freak about pillows. I'm allergic to down, but that's the kind of pillow I need, so what I end up with is the oldest pillow in my collection, seemingly half full that I can bunch up how I want it right then. And I throw them in the dryer every now and again to kill any nasties. Helps with the allergies.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
We looked at Tempurpedic and passed on it for a variety of reasons. We're now sold on Original Mattress Factory, which was recommended to us by a number of friends, but they're only in parts of the country, most east of the Mississippi. Very comfortable, great support, double-sided, good prices.
Ditto ditto ditto. We just got an OMF memory foam bed, and I am in love with it. It's their version of the Tempurpedic. Hub and I have very different bed tastes, and this is the one we agreed on. I want a bed that is firm, but not hard and still soft enough to contour to my shape. This one fit both of our needs. OMF is also more affordable than most name brands, their warranties are awesome as well. We got it when I was 8 months preggo, and my back pain went away almost immediately.

(Oh, and the lack of "bounceback" has been awesome for the sex life... just sayin!)
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post

(Oh, and the lack of "bounceback" has been awesome for the sex life... just sayin!)

It's funny because it's true. One of my friends, a newlywed found out that we had a Tempurpedic and he gave me a funny look for a second and asked about that. He and his bride had been looking at them - but didn't want to ask the saleslady about that aspect - he called his wife over and I assured them that the lack of bouncy bouncy was kinda great.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I have/had (no longer sleep on it) Sleep Number Bed - had massive trouble with the under-the-bed-inflator and leaks. The warranty? Worthless. It's pro-rated, so every time I had to call it was worth less. Last time I didn't send it in because they wanted too much to repair it. It was awful.

I am currently very happy with my Temperpedic.