GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,800
2 members and 2,798 guests
chi-o_cat, John

Old 08-25-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry tryouts vs. pref night!!

OK, I am just a mother venting here! My daughter's state school has delayed rush this year until the second week of school; no big deal, or so we thought. She has been looking forward to being a member of the school's dance team, one of the reasons for attend this ACC school. The coach just posted the date for tryouts; yep, they are the same night as Pref night!! My daughter has emailed back and forth with the coach to see if there might be an alternate date and he has said no; come then or not at all. Of course, he isn't having cheerleading tryouts until the next week after rush!

Now we don't know if my daughter would have even made the team, but she will never know without trying out. She is not willing to give up sorority to try out as she has a better shot of being in a sorority, something she also wants to do. I have no idea if the coach didn't even take other school activities into account, or if rush week being changed was the problem. I can tell you that my daughter has been trying to find out the date of tryouts since last year. She always got the run around from the secretary who would say the date will be posted in the school newspaper, which it was on Monday.

Thanks for letting me vent; I didn't want to be upset around my daughter as she is upset enough. This is one mess that mom can't do anything about and baby bird will have to deal; but boy does it make me mad!!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2006, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey318
My daughter's state school has delayed rush this year until the second week of school; no big deal, or so we thought. She has been looking forward to being a member of the school's dance team, one of the reasons for attend this ACC school. The coach just posted the date for tryouts; yep, they are the same night as Pref night!!
Tell daughter to immediately talk to her recruitment counselor! This happens...I think the sororities can work through it. I'm sure they'd LOVE to have someone on dance team in their chapter!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment kick off isn't until next week so she hasn't been placed in a RC group yet. Even if the RC gave the go ahead for my daughter to attend the tryout, wouldn't she be missing an important day as it is Pref night, the night before Bid Day? I don't think my daughter would want to miss this night, expecially if she didn't have a strong first choice chapter. Of course, I am assuming she will have several choices as I am her mother!
Old 08-25-2006, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alum
Warning: the political views on this site are very liberal. Lots of New Yorkers and New England parents and kids are on CC.

Cause there are no conservatives in the North nor liberals in the South, right?

Teasing!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation
helicopter parents

i hadn't heard this term before thursday. i was at the library and while waiting, a newspaper targeting people over 50 caught my attention. the article was about helping parents adjust to sending their kids off to college and how some colleges are responding to helicopter parents. i will post some of the things from the article if i have a chance this weekend. it was funny.