GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,367
0 members and 2,367 guests
No Members online

Old 04-02-2004, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Carrie777 - I actually got hired at a firm once because I recognized a picture of Spike on the (female) boss's bulletin board, and it turns out they had a group of about 6 people at the firm that traded episode reviews every Wednesday morning and taped for each other. I don't work there anymore, but still get emails about Buffy/Angel - or will until the end of this season of Angel, of course

My cut story: I dated a DG's boyfriend freshman year, and was naturally cut first-rounds sophomore year rush from DG. A friend was, coincidentally, sitting right behind Miss DG in a class the next day, when she was telling her best friend from high school, an ASA, that they had to cut me, too. Fortunately, this was someone who thought for herself - she did mention it but didn't press the point. Never became my favorite sister, but I always respected her for that.

After college, I was at a party with a bunch of DGs, and my best friend (a DG) insisted they wouldn't remember me. They did: "Oh, we always thought you had horns and a tail!!" Very nice. That's what happens when you rush as a sophomore.

Anyone else cut for dating the wrong guy?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
No, but how about this:

I dated this Delta Chi, and while we dated he kept talking about his fraternity brother's actual sister, Jill -- how cute she was, etc. I ended things w/ the Delta Chi not too much later, and he started dating Jill almost immediately.

Jill rushed and I did NOT WANT HER IN MY HOUSE, and everyone knew it. To top it off I was ridiculously uptight my first year in the sorority, and Jill was having her freshman year fun, so I used that as an excuse for why I didn't want her in.

Now I wish I hadn't been such a bitch. Jill got in and she's pretty much the best sister ever. She contributes a TON to the sorority, is always there when she says she will be, was a great little sister, is a great big sister, has held office basically since the first day she showed up, and keeps up a great GPA and a sweet disposition. I still regret not supporting her during recruitment. I'm lucky to have her for a sister.

Bonus: she dumped the Delta Chi, too, and is now dating one of his brothers. Bwahahaha.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I swear I was cut from a house the first day because during their philanthopy activity, which was coloring picture books for children, not only did I drop an entire thing of crayons but also broke one while coloring I was so nervous. This was all done in a period of fifteen minutes. It was the first house of the first day and these girls are somewhat "uptight" and I really think they saw me as this clumsy crazy girl! Also, my rusher and I found out we lived really close and I think I said something like we could hang out at home (I was a naive little freshman). I don't think they could get rid of me fast enough!

Last edited by TriDeltaGal; 04-03-2004 at 10:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Because I told them (tactfully) that I didn't want a bid there!

I was a legacy and had gotten repeatedly asked back to this sorority. The girls and I were not a good fit by any means and I really didn't want to be there, but for some reason they seemed to really like me. It was the last round before pref night and I didn't want to be taking someone who genuinely wanted to be there's place just because I was a legacy!

My <> sis thinks this story is hilarious. Well the details of the conversation the girl and I had are actually, but I will save them from this board. (Basically the gist is the girl rushing me couldn't not understand why I wouldn't want to be coming back to the "most popular sorority on campus"--I basically had to spell it out for her that I was not looking to come back).
Old 04-14-2004, 02:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Well since you were a legacy... they probably had to invite you back to a certain number of rounds anyway even if you told them you weren't interested... that is funny that she didnt' get it though
Old 04-15-2004, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

My roommate, who is the coolest girl ever, accidently fell asleep during one house's philanthropy video. Everyone was sitting on the floor, and she had her back against a pole. She was at a weird angle and couldn't see the screen, and she accidently dozed off when they dimmed the lights. She woke up to the girl she had been talking to poking her. Needless to say, XYZ cut her the next day!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I went through in the late 90's. I was really excited to go through recruitment, and I studied up all I could to learn about the sororities. I was having a conversation at one of the parties, and during the course of conversation I said something like, "I'm really excited to be back at XYZ today. I love that your philanthropy is BLANK. I learned so much about it on your national web site." The sister gave me a blank look and said, "We have a web site?" I think I came off as a total dork. This was when a lot of sororities were beginning to establish online presence. I got dropped!
Old 04-16-2004, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where old Sorority Girls go, pearls still included!!
Send a message via AIM to BadSquirrelBeta
Red face Oh my...

I know that my chapter called me "Tina Turner" because of my big 80's hair when I was rushing...

Thank God they pledged me. We all had some major hair.

I think that BBB dropped me because on Day I they had this trail mix stuff and I was eating it and didn't realize that the blue m & m's had stained my mouth all blue.

I felt dumb...even dumber when they dropped me.

Now, as a member on the other side rushing, I accidently stabbed a girl with my fingernail and scratched her leg...I was so afraid that she was going to drop. Bless her heart...she came back the next day and we had a "Club Alpha Gam" theme and one of the BIG pink flamingos on the front lawn (we decorated to the max then) fell on top of her.

She pledged. Thank God...I still love her for that!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut
Old 07-06-2004, 10:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PureGoldF2K1
I'm pretty sure that I was cut from certain houses because I told every sister at every house I visited how I was rushing with my roommate who was my best friend from home and how since we already do everything together, we decided to deliberately NOT join the same sorority. Well, my best friend was like a super rushee, she's the kind of girl who would be EVERYONE's rush crushes while I'm a little quieter so I'm pretty sure that when some houses heard this, they decided to cut me so they wouldn't lose her!! (They knew who she was because SHE was also telling everyone about rushing with me) But it all worked out because she ended up going Tri-Delta (her first chice) and I of course, got my 1st choice!!
Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Not my story since I joined through COB, but we had a girl accept her bid on Bid Day and come back to our house for the BBQ. Well, since it was a BBQ we were using paper plates and styrofoam cups. She threw a fit about the styrofoam and walked out, about an hour after getting her bid. THe next year she went through recruitment again, and when she got to our house she told her PX that she had to sit outside because she didn't agree with our environmental policies.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

bump!
Old 07-21-2006, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Okay at one house at Ole Miss I was asked if I had a boyfriend yet...I politely told the girl that I had just gotten to Ole Miss and because rush was going on I hadn't ventured out to "get a boyfriend yet" (at this point in my life I had never had one yet) and I was more interested in getting my dorm all ready and rush stuff...(when I went through rush it was before school started). Anyway, I guess that wasn't the right answer because she pretty much ignored me the rest of the time. They were not on my card for pref parties so that must have been the wrong answer.

When I was on the other side, I had a PNM ask me what fraternity is the best at Ole Miss, since we are not suppose to name drop, I told her all of them were good and that IF I saw her on Bid Day I would tell her in person!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
great thread I am going to make it manditory for some of the collegiates to read this thread - might help them put things into perspective. (with recruitment right around the corner again)
Old 07-21-2006, 10:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Oh boy...I've shared this before but here we go again (and I'm still HORRIFIED that I did this).

There is this one house on campus that I absolutely KNEW I would not fit into. Not that theyre not an awesome house- au contrair, theyre one of the best on campus, just really not my type and I wasn't quite their type either. So went through house tour, and when we were sitting in their parlour, I noticed their taxidermied owls in the room. I was having a hard time making conversation, just striking out left and right, couldn't find anything to connect with...so finally I thought, "ok, let's try an interesting tid bit".

And I said, "you know, I come from a town with a lot of different ethnicities, and a lot of people believe that having owls or pictures of owls is a death omen".

Cue pin drop.

And I 100% didn't mean to insult them, and I KNEW the second it came out of my mouth that I had said something stupid. I was HONESTLY just trying to make conversation any way I could. Needless to say, I didn't get an invite from them. (my pledge sisters STILL won't forgive me for that).