GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,052
0 members and 2,052 guests
No Members online

Old 03-09-2001, 06:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face Left Behind

I am so ashamed and I apologize to the world for offending some people because I posted on the wrong page.Can we have some civility here and try again.I feel that I have been reprimanded enough.
I would like to have a discussion on how people feel about these books.I must let you know that I am a born-again Christian.I really appreciate how this book is reaching people and saving people's lives.I only hope all my brothers read it and accept it as truth.
As greeks we usually have our own feeling on things that affect us.I just want to hear what others have to say about the book or the movie.And again I apologize to the people I offended.I hope religion is not a taboo subject on the greek pages.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-09-2001, 11:05 AM

I had never heard about the "Left Behind" books until you mentioned it on the website. But then I noticed that there was a movie out called "Left Behind" as well (with Kirk Cameron in it...guy from "Growing Pains".)

I have not read the books, nor seen the movie. However, it sounds like the critics are pretty merciless in their reviews. Sorry.
http://www.film.com/film-review/2001...lt-review.html http://movie-reviews.colossus.net/mo...ft_behind.html http://mrshowbiz.go.com/reviews/movi...ovie_2001.html
Old 03-09-2001, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
If its the books I am thinking about that are about the end of the world as posted in Revelations . . . I have leafed through a few in Borders.

My opinion from what I have read:

Awesome story idea, the writers could be better. Also, they could have SHOWN us their philosophy rather than tell us so much.

That was one of the flaws in the book I believe.

Got to run . ..
Old 03-09-2001, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
By the way, that is no relfection on people with strong faith.

Whatever crutch you need to go through the world sane is fine, and heavy religious belief can be less physically harmful than some.

Although, it would be funny if we all die and found that the purpose of life was to have the most fun. build great relationships, and avoid directly hurting others. Without a lot of the moralistic stuff we hear.
Old 03-09-2001, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James:

Although, it would be funny if we all die and found that the purpose of life was to have the most fun. build great relationships, and avoid directly hurting others.
AMEN AND PREACH ON, JAMES!!!

Old 03-09-2001, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by James:
[B]
Whatever crutch you need to go through the world sane is fine, and heavy religious belief can be less physically harmful than some.

I'm so very sorry that you feel that having strong religious beliefs are a crutch. I feel that they are enabling. Actually, they can be a lot more enabling than the imoralistic idea that you can possibly have the "most fun, without worrying about anything or anyone very much." Also, who says the religious people don't have fun?

I think that your kind of "fun" is hurting you and others a lot more than you will ever admit to. When you are having all of that fun, please have a designated driver so that you don't run over me or someone else-PLEASE! And, also please wear a condom so that I don't have to pay for your aids treatment-because it definitely isn't covered by many medical plans, so you will end up on welfare. That means my taxes will have to take care of you. And also, if you survive that crash and are total care-I will have to take care of you then, too. Medicade takes care of you after you run out of money and medical insurance-my tax dollars. So have a lot of fun, just remember that it does cost you one way or the other--and the rest of society.

See, I didn't even mention going to hell, either.
Old 03-09-2001, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

pledgetrainer2:

First of all, James prefaced his reply with no offense to those with strong faith. But a lot of people do use their religion as a crutch ... I firmly believe in God, but I also believe God helps those who help themselves. And everyone has their own beliefs.

Second, why are you assuming that just because a person is greek, they have a certain lifestyle? I'm greek (BGLO) and I have to say, that makes you judgemental. And who are you to judge? Since you are very religious, you should know that's not your role, or anyone elses, but the one upstairs.

ShyOne
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
Old 03-09-2001, 05:09 PM
Unregistered-

Thumbs down

I didn't like this topic in the Greek Life forum and I don't like it again in this one.
Old 03-09-2001, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

I haven't read these books. But my curiosity has been piqued. I'll check them out and post a real response to this thread.

BTW, this thread is now in the appropriate forum. If you don't like it, move on to the next thread or start a new one.

------------------
"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth." ~Mohammed Ali
Old 03-09-2001, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't make a "blanket" statement about Greek life, did I? That is what you accused me of, but I was talking to 1 (one) person, I thought. Is it a GLO mindset to behave in the manner that he was speaking of? I didn't say that, but you are definitely alluding to it.

Why is it that when anything gets serious in nature to discuss that everyone wants the thread closed? Come on, can't we discuss things that are serious or are we just supposed to talk about "bitch pants"?

[This message has been edited by pledgetrainer2 (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 07:09 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by pledgetrainer2:
[BI think that your kind of "fun" is hurting you and others a lot more than you will ever admit to. When you are having all of that fun, please have a designated driver so that you don't run over me or someone else-PLEASE! And, also please wear a condom so that I don't have to pay for your aids treatment-because it definitely isn't covered by many medical plans, so you will end up on welfare. That means my taxes will have to take care of you. And also, if you survive that crash and are total care-I will have to take care of you then, too. Medicade takes care of you after you run out of money and medical insurance-my tax dollars. So have a lot of fun, just remember that it does cost you one way or the other--and the rest of society.

See, I didn't even mention going to hell, either. [/B]
Is there something wrong with my computer? I missed the part where James said he was running around with a Captain Morgan IV in his vein boinking everything that moves (and a few things that don't).

Don't put words in someone's mouth. They might drool all over your hand and make a mess!

Old 03-09-2001, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Lightbulb

Settle down people. Before you go any further, please take a minute to read the Chit Chat forum guidelines.

Midwest Diva hit the nail on the head when she said: "BTW, this thread is now in the appropriate forum. If you don't like it, move on to the next thread or start a new one."

Thanks,
ZetaAce,

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited March 09, 2001).]
Old 03-09-2001, 11:20 PM
Unregistered-

The chit chat forum guidelines state that we should respect the opinions of others.

We all know that there will be people out there with opinions that differ from yours and I truly accept that.

But I was somewhat offended by the statement "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THREAD OR START A NEW ONE.."

What, we're not allowed to express our dissatisfaction about the threads anymore?
Old 03-10-2001, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine:
But I was somewhat offended by the statement "IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THREAD OR START A NEW ONE.."

What, we're not allowed to express our dissatisfaction about the threads anymore?
OTW- You are more than welcome to express your dissatisfaction with a thread, however, I don't think it's out of bounds to suggest that if you don't like a thread to just not respond to it. There are always going to be things in life that we don't like, but why not just ignore the inconsequential things and move on.

When I said "Check the forum guidelines" I was directing that at no one in particular. But, I have seen enough threads on GreekChat get totally out of hand, (see: I HATE MY LINESISTERS, for a good example), and do not want to see the same thing happen on the Chit Chat board.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

ZetaAce,

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited March 10, 2001).]
Old 03-10-2001, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
I haven't read the book yet, but I am anxious to see the movie. Justmyo, have you seen the movie yet?