GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,531
2 members and 2,529 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-18-2010, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking Mississippi State 2014!!!

Hey everyone! I will be a freshman at Mississippi State in the fall and I am planning to go through rush. I am from out of state and I have no idea about recruitment at State. I know it is an SEC school with a large Greek Life, but is it hard to get a bid? I am nervous about going to a big southern school (Midwestern girl here) and not knowing anyone. Any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-18-2010, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

search and read, search and read, then search and read some more. start with the Sticky on this page "schools you absolutely need recs." SEC schools are at the top of the list, because things are very, very competative there. There are lots of other people here who can give you better advice than I, but I wish you the best of luck!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
search and read, search and read, then search and read some more. start with the Sticky on this page "schools you absolutely need recs." SEC schools are at the top of the list, because things are very, very competative there. There are lots of other people here who can give you better advice than I, but I wish you the best of luck!
Ok. I will be sure to read those. Anybody else here know anything specific about Mississippi State? Will they look down on me because I am not from the south?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to marycath06
Hi! I just graduated from Alabama, but my mom went to Mississippi State and Starkville is not very far from Tuscaloosa so I have been there a few times. My sorority actually helped start a new chapter there last year!

First of all, they will not look down on you just because you are not from the South. It is competitive, but some of the best girls come from other states. As far as recs are concerned, I would definitely recommend having recs for as many chapters as possible. If you need a Pi Phi rec, send me a message and we'll talk.

Good luck and enjoy Rush and your freshman year! I miss it already!

My website: mar'contraire, a handmade boutique specializing in hand-painted items. I love making Bid day or Big/Little gifts!
Old 05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, it's competitive. Yes, you must have recs. And no, you will not be looked down upon for being from the midwest....but they will think you talk funny....
Old 06-02-2010, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I just graduated from MSU in May and I think that it's great that you are going through rush at MSU. It's a lot more competitive than most people think. You def need recs for every house. I think that you are at a great advantage coming from out-of-state because you will have a less bias opinion about each of the sororities. You're not going to be looked down upon by most of the houses because you are from the north, but just like everyone says, be open to every house and don't listen to what all of the southern girls are saying about the houses reputations. Just go with your gut and you'll end up where you belong.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGMANU@MSU View Post
don't listen to what all of the southern girls are saying about the houses reputations. Just go with your gut and you'll end up where you belong.
Are there some houses there that do not have good reputations? I have no idea about any of them except for what I have seen on their websites. I don't want to be in a house with a bad reputation.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBelle14 View Post
Are there some houses there that do not have good reputations? I have no idea about any of them except for what I have seen on their websites. I don't want to be in a house with a bad reputation.
1. Everyone on this site will tell you that their house is the best, that is why they joined that house.

2. Reputations are like beauty-- only skin deep. What is a great reputation for one person may not be for another. Depends on what you are looking for. Do you only want the house with the top grades? If so, then the best reputations will be based on GPA, are you looking for a house known as a party house? In that case, you will not think that the house with the top GPA has the great reputation you are looking for, but the one with the best parties will have your vote for best reputation.

3. Every house offers something different. Not only on your campus, but from campus to campus. The house you are madly in love with at MSU may not be the house you would be madly in love with in California or Oklahoma. Look at the house on YOUR campus, look at those women who are the members are on YOUR campus.

4. Don't base your decision on the choices your family or friends make. Make your own choices. If you have questions, talk to you Rho Chi or what ever name they have on your campus. They are trained to help you. I had a roommate when I went through rush (yeah, I am from the old school) and she bad mouthed the house I loved. I almost dropped out of rush because I listened to her, rather than my own heart. I did stay in rush, I did pledge (again, I am old school), and I was happy. From day 1 I knew I would never been happy had I joined her favorite house.

5. Start gathering your recs NOW! If you are having trouble, contact your local Panhellenic Alumnae Association. They have members from almost every house who can assist you in getting the necessary recs. If you have family friends or relatives who joined a house while in school, talk to them and ask them for recs. Follow up and make sure that the recs have been sent. When I was president of my alumnae association, we would get panic calls asking us for a rec for so and so. Finding someone in our group who knew who to contact at the HS that girl attended or who personally knew her was difficult. If you give the person time to write the rec, they will have a chance to make sure that you are presented in the very best light.

Good luck

DaffyKD
Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBelle14 View Post
this is what the sigma nu gentleman was telling you to not get concerned over and to not pay attention to the "tent talk". he said to make up your own mind and i agree!
Old 06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
The problem with reputations is that they are based on opinions, and everyone has one of those. The girls telling you their opinions on the reputations of chapters could be very smart and right on the money, or they could be stupid twits who don't know their heads from a hole in the ground.

The only smart thing to do is to go through Recruitment, meet women in all of the chapters, and make up your own mind. The "best" sorority for you is the one in which you feel at home.

Bottom line.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Just like everyone else has said here, don't worry about reputations. Definitely get recs and just be your self. I'll graduate from State in December and can vouch for what my fraternity brother posted earlier.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Skip the farm school and go to Ole Miss. Hotty Toddy.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

There are no bad sororities at State. Honestly.