GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,312
2 members and 2,310 guests
TLLK

Old 08-15-2000, 04:15 PM
Caitlin

Question Questions

Hello!

I was wondering, once you join a sorority, do they MAKE you move into the house in the future?

And, do you HAVE to attend every single dinner, event, etc. or will you be backstabbed by your fellow members?

Is a sorority worth joining anyway? Is there a ton of gossip and backstabbing going on?

Thanks guys!!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2000, 04:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

"I was wondering, once you join a sorority, do they MAKE you move into the house in the future?"

------>my sorority's house only has room for 20 sisters, and there are about 30 girls per pledge class. at no point am i forced to live in the house. some other schools with bigger houses might require members to live at least 1 year in the house. this isn't a big deal though, since it is a lot of fun (i mean, these women are supposed to be your best friends) and most of the time it is no more expensive than living in the dorms or an apartment.

"And, do you HAVE to attend every single dinner, event, etc. or will you be backstabbed by your fellow members?"

------>you are supposed to go to all the chapter meetings. my sorority allows each sister a few excused absences per semester, in case of emergency. if you are unexcused, you would be fined $$. no one would backstab you if a real emergency came up and you couldn't make it. these are formal meetings, not gab sessions. the secretary would call the roll, and she would note that you were absent. not a big deal.

"Is a sorority worth joining anyway? Is there a ton of gossip and backstabbing going on?"

------>this depends. my chapter is really great. there aren't cliques dividing up the house, and each pledge class is super-tight. i like all my pledge sisters, there's not one i wouldn't want to hang out with. other sororities are a lot more clique-y, and you will notice sisters bitching about each other. in general, i don't think there's any more gossip going on than you would find in a normal group of girlfriends.

[This message has been edited by twinstars (edited August 15, 2000).]
Old 08-15-2000, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
I was wondering, once you join a sorority, do they MAKE you move into the house in the future?

Some sororities require that their members live in the house at least one year. Others only require executive officers to live in the house during their term. Keep in mind, however, that living in a sorority house is usually cheaper, cleaner and safer than a dorm and it is definitelycheaper than your own apartment.

And, do you HAVE to attend every single dinner, event, etc. or will you be backstabbed by your fellow members?

Some events, like weekly chapter meetings, ritual and philanthropy events may be required. Social events are usually optional. Your sisters will probably wonder where you were and miss your presence, but it's doubtful if they would talk about you behind your back.

Is a sorority worth joining anyway? Is there a ton of gossip and backstabbing going on?
I would say that 99% of the people on this board find Greek life 'worth it'. There is no more gossip and backstabbing (that's a big thing with you, it seems BTW) than you'd find in any large club such as Student Government, Spanish club, etc.

Participating in Greek life gives you the opportunity to meet a lot of people, get involved in campus activities, support charitible causes, have a supportive network that is concerned with your academic performance, lifetime membership in an organization that provides scholarship, leadership and sisterhood to thousands of women. As a member you will be able to apply for academic scholarships, improve your leadership skill and mature as you serve as an officer or committee chairperson, and these opportunities do not end with college. Alumnae life offers a host of other opportunities to serve your fraternity.

Barbara

Old 08-15-2000, 04:57 PM
Caitlin

Thanks so much guys for your detailed responses!!!

When do you find out about their policies (i.e. mandatory living in houses)? Or, should I say, SHOULD find out? Rush time?

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-15-2000, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

they ought to give you all that kind of info during rush week. if they don't volunteer it it would be completely reasonable for you to ask so you know what you're getting into!