GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 872
2 members and 870 guests
Mooch279

Old 04-06-2012, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
What are our current and recent GC brides using for wedding favors? We'll will be doing a donation to charity (specific charity is still TBD, lol)
Old 04-06-2012, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamfulSpirit
We had 2 favors:

1- I'm Canadian (I'll be in an American Citizen in 2 weeks!) and there's this chocolate shop back in my hometown that I just love! So they made big maple leaves out of chocolate for us.

2- I saw in a bridal magazine an idea about making a music CD out of everyone's first dances. We only had about 80 guests at our wedding, so this was doable (where as if you had like 200+, it may not necessarily be). We contacted all the married couples that were invited to the wedding and asked them what their first dance song was. We then created the CD and put our first dance song, our parents's songs, and then all the others of those attending the wedding. Everyone loved it! We even had our DJ play the first dance song for each of our parents during the reception as well for everyone to dance to.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
What are our current and recent GC brides using for wedding favors? We'll will be doing a donation to charity (specific charity is still TBD, lol)
We did little bottles of alcohol. We used an eastern European plum brandy (which tastes like burning) as a nod to my hubs' heritage. We found cute bottles and we filled, corked and labeled them ourselves.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

We're doing 2 as well. We're making a donation to St. Jude's hospital.

I'm Slovenian, so part of the tradition is that my side of the family prepares a lot of traditional sweets (exactly like a cookie table). However, with appetizers during cocktail hour, four courses, cake, and late night snacks, the food often goes uneaten.

So, we're using a box for a place setting.

In the box is a little note thanking the guests for coming and explaining the tradition. We're going to have the guests fill the box with whatever treats they like so they can enjoy them the next day, or later that night.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
We did little bottles of alcohol. We used an eastern European plum brandy (which tastes like burning) as a nod to my hubs' heritage. We found cute bottles and we filled, corked and labeled them ourselves.
Slivovitz!!! As my uncle always says, you can run a car off of it! It does make for fun parties though.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
Slivovitz!!! As my uncle always says, you can run a car off of it! It does make for fun parties though.
Aaaaah Slivovitz!

For one of my professor's 90th birthday party, we celebrated with a shot of Slivovitz (he was from the Czech Republic). We all looked like we could have died--but he was a champ about it.

I got playing cards as a favor from a wedding. I like it!
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I received an invitation to a wedding, and included in the invitation envelope was a bright, shiny penny. The couple asked that, when returning your response, that you include the penny after you've made a wish over it.

Their favors included a scratch-off lottery ticket with one of the lucky pennies taped to the back. There was a note that said something like, 'We appreciate your best wishes for us, and offer our best wishes to you, too. Good luck!' It was cute.

My ticket, unfortunately, was not a winner. Whoever wished on that penny didn't wish hard enough. Still, I really liked the favor.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
I received an invitation to a wedding, and included in the invitation envelope was a bright, shiny penny. The couple asked that, when returning your response, that you include the penny after you've made a wish over it.

Their favors included a scratch-off lottery ticket with one of the lucky pennies taped to the back. There was a note that said something like, 'We appreciate your best wishes for us, and offer our best wishes to you, too. Good luck!' It was cute.

My ticket, unfortunately, was not a winner. Whoever wished on that penny didn't wish hard enough. Still, I really liked the favor.
Quote:
I'm Slovenian, so part of the tradition is that my side of the family prepares a lot of traditional sweets (exactly like a cookie table). However, with appetizers during cocktail hour, four courses, cake, and late night snacks, the food often goes uneaten.

So, we're using a box for a place setting.

In the box is a little note thanking the guests for coming and explaining the tradition. We're going to have the guests fill the box with whatever treats they like so they can enjoy them the next day, or later that night.
I'm in love with both of these ideas. Very nice!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
Aaaaah Slivovitz!

For one of my professor's 90th birthday party, we celebrated with a shot of Slivovitz (he was from the Czech Republic). We all looked like we could have died--but he was a champ about it.

I got playing cards as a favor from a wedding. I like it!
Haha, yes, 'twas slivovitz! I can't drink it without making a face.

Here they are:
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
These are Jordan Almonds and the Italians refer to it as Confetti. It is a long standing Italian tradition (my great grandparents even did it in the late 1800s). You are NOT supposed to eat those! You are supposed to put them under your pillow that night and you will dream about who you are going to marry.

ETA: I wish people would just go back to matchbooks. I always had matches back then. Now, you need a match and there are none to be found anywhere. You used to get them at every restaurant, hotel, etc. for free. They are practically an endangered species now.
Matchbooks are rare indeed! and formerly very popular as 1970's wedding favors when people would smoke where they pleased. I admit trying to eat Jordan Almonds and declaring them inedible (whilst not understanding their true tradition until now).

As a teenager, I liked the tiny napkins embossed with bride/groom names and event date. It's how I now recall anniversaries/name spellings, and I keep them in scrapbooks as an alternate to the original invites belonging to/thrown out by my parents.

At 80's weddings, each table's floral centerpiece was a 'favor' for the person seated on the chair with the hidden "winner" tag under the seat.

In the 90's, my December-bride cousin used small, inexpensive nutcracker ornaments as part of her centerpieces. She painted the outer bottom with bride/groom name and event date. They wisely put four ornaments to a ten-person table, knowing some people would not want them (but I am reminded of their anniversary every year when I put ornaments on my tree!)

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.