GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Entertainment

Entertainment TV, movies, music, books, sports, radio...

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 2,283
2 members and 2,281 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-07-2000, 02:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face Julie from Real World gets kicked out of school

I just heard on MTV that Julie (the one that went to BYU) got kicked out and now she's looking for a new college. What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it was right for BYU to kick her out, even if what she did was off school grounds? Apparently, BYU has a rule about men and women sharing living (or is it sleeping) quarters together. So b/c she was living w/ 4 guys on the RW, she got kicked out. I personally think it sucks. I mean, she was not on campus when this happened. I could see if she was at her school, up in the dorms w/ some dudes or whatever. But this all happened like 1000 miles away! Maybe I'm just a rebel but I personally don't see the harm done if she was living off campus at the time. How can the school's rules apply to this? The RW show is NOT BYU. Thoughts anyone? Also, I just heard this off MTV really quickly, so if I screwed up the facts, correct me please

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Zeta Sigma Chi Multicultural Sorority, Inc.
http://www.umich.edu/~zchi
Old 08-07-2000, 07:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Hey ZChi4Life, welcome to Greekchat!

Anyway, I saw "Larry King Live" on CNN a few months ago when they had several past cast members from "The Real World". Julie was there and when asked about the situation with BYU, she said she knew going into the house that she was breaking this rule. She seemed pretty happy with her choice despite the consequences. In fact, she was very nonchalant about the whole thing. She said she had received offers from other colleges that knew about her situation and would take any offer into consideration.

Having said this, I don't think BYU is wrong. They have their standards. If you choose to go against that...

------------------
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity http://www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org
Old 08-07-2000, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Serenity- I totally agree with you! She knew the rules before she agreed to be in the house and before she broke them. I heard that she even said on the show that she might get kicked out, so what's the big deal. She made her bed!! lol

ZetaAce
Old 08-07-2000, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey Serenity, thanks for the welcome!

Well, I wasn't saying there was a big deal. Yeah I heard her say that she'd probably get kicked out of school for going on the show. I was just posting a board...trying to get some convo started...and of stating my opinion of course. It just seemed kinda wrong to me that the school could have rules that apply to you when you're NOT even on campus. Like I said, if she broke the rules while she was actually on campus, then she should be punished accordingly. But she was in New Orleans, no where near campus and she still gets kicked out? I don't know, that just seems a bit much to me. But hey, you guys are right, if that's how the school operates, then so be it. I just wanted to know others opinions
peace

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Old 08-07-2000, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity
Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by ZChi4Life:
Hey Serenity, thanks for the welcome!

Well, I wasn't saying there was a big deal. Yeah I heard her say that she'd probably get kicked out of school for going on the show. I was just posting a board...trying to get some convo started...and of stating my opinion of course.
ZChi4Life,

I didn't mean to come off like I was "downing" your post. Sorry if it came off that way!

Really, my point is regardless of the fact that she wasn't breaking the rules on campus, she knew that what she was doing went against the school's policies. And as such, she paid the price.

As an educator, I'm really "hung up" on individuals being accountable for their actions and accepting consequences. It's a personal thing! Hey, we all have issues.

In Unity,

Serenity

------------------
Sigma Lambda Upsilon: Sincerity, Loyalty, Unity http://www.sigmalambdaupsilon.org
Old 08-07-2000, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh no, I didn't think that at all Serenity. Maybe it was me that was coming off kinda weird. Sometimes its hard to come off in the right way on these boards I totally get what you're saying and I agree. I think that she knew what she was getting into and if that was gonna get her kicked outta school, well then hey, she knew that, right? I just thought it was a little cruel, that's all. And I had never heard of a school being able to, for lack of a better word, extend their policies and regs off campus. But hey, I guess I learn something new everyday Also, I guess it's true that even though you may not be on campus, you still represent that school. So I guess I'm understanding it better. Thanks for your posts!

------------------
A Radiant Lady of
Old 08-07-2000, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

i think julie knew what she was getting into, so i don't feel that sorry for her. as a private institution, BYU has every right to make whatever kind of weird rules it wants. and julie chose to attend the school, when she could have gone elsewhere. by entering their community, she agrees to abide by whatever rules the instution has set, or face the consequences.
Old 08-08-2000, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I may be sticking my foot in where it doesn't belong so, if there are any Mormons floating around, PLEASE correct me. I don't think it was just the school, I think it's part of their religious beliefs. I seem to remember in the first 2 episodes, Julie wasn't sure what to tell her parents about her living arangements. I haven't seen the show in a minute due to classes, so I'm not sure if she has or not. Since BYU is a 95%-98% Mormon institution, of course the school would expect its rules and the creed of the religion to be upheld at all times.

At any rate, Julie knew she was breaking the rules when she went into this, and I'm not surprised she got kicked out of school. She got what she deserved.
Old 08-08-2000, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow localsororities, I didn't know that! That's amazing and very interesting. I didn't know Mormons were that strict. I had heard some things about it, but wow, that's deep stuff. Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised that she secretly wanted to get kicked out if she was not allowed to do all those things you mentioned.
Old 08-08-2000, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus i remeber the first show when she was saying that she would probably get in trouble with school for living in the house......so she knew what was coming to her, she just probably figured that this was the easist to get out without having to ask to get out.