GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,267
0 members and 2,267 guests
No Members online

Old 10-31-2011, 12:22 PM

I can only think of one or 2 (either WSU or Washington does, or both.) It's not a common practice.

With my deferred recruitment chapters who have housing, the women don't have the option to move in until fall. No one moves in right after recruitment in January.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-31-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-31-2011, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Not WSU (which is Washington State). As VandalSquirrel mentioned - they move in mostly at semester and some sophomore year (but I think every single one of daughter's friends in sororities her freshman year moved in at semester break). UW moves in right away.

The problem with some schools and the housing contract (UO is in this situation) is that there is not enough housing for freshman and the school cannot require them to live in campus housing. They can't always assure housing to freshman. If you want housing you pretty much have to sign a contract with someone (school, rental, chapter house) by the spring. I would think that's a situation a lot of schools find themselves in.

In addition, there is no guarantee at a lot of the chapters that you will get to live in your sophomore year and some girls by junior year are settled in apartments and never end up living in.

Last edited by AXOmom; 10-31-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:29 PM

^^^completely unrelated sidenote: even in the recession, I'm seeing a LOT of schools with on-campus housing that is literally overflowing. When I was in undergrad, the school was really strict with the live-on requirement because the dorms weren't always full (the rule was 2 years unless you owned a home or commuted within x miles.) There were situations where chapters had space in their houses for additional women halfway through the year, and had to go through Residence Service to pull teeth to get someone an exception to their housing requirement.

Fast forward to now: Residence Services will GLADLY let any freshman or soph out of their contract to move into Greek Housing as a fresh or soph (if the sorority has room) because the dorms are all full.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, its different world than when I was there and most people lived in campus dorms at least two years. They rent out space at apartment complexes for freshman and they are building new dorms as we speak, but they've had a tough time keeping up. Interestingly, they aren't great about letting them out of the contracts (at least that's my understanding from people who have tried) and as you said, it would make more sense for them to be lenient.

For a number of reasons that have to do with the sororities housing contracts being a little behind in terms of need, they didn't have much room either (hers and I assume others have changed some bylaws to better address that issue).

Anyway, sorry to get things off track. Just wanted to point out that the requirements Vandal Squirrel mentioned at University of Idaho - students live on campus freshman year or at least first semester or in chapters and being guaranteed housing if they don't end up in a sorority- isn't currently an option at many schools.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread has been very interesting. About 8 or 9 years after college, I started hanging around here and reading about sororities. I was shocked to find out that many of the things I did to get into Gamma Sigma Sigma would now be considered hazing! We did pledge books, interviews, pledge projects/activities, tests, etc. Of course none of it was done in a "hazing" sort of way...but there were points assigned and it was expected that you would WANT to get to know the history, the other sisters, and the organization. I personally liked the interviews, we got to make up our own questions so I found out some interesting things about people. I'm shy so it was a good conversation starter and a great way to discover connections with active sisters (shared major, interests, etc.) From there things develop into spending time together studying or sharing those interests, then into real friendships.

I get why anti-hazing is important, but I think we've reached a point where we are throwing out the baby with the bath water. People don't feel connected to organizations or to their "sisters" so why stick around? You can use these sorts of activities as "hazing" opportunities, but then again, even with all the "bans" on this, that and the other thing...people still get hazed. If people are that intent on hazing their NMs they will find a way...
Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
This thread has been very interesting. About 8 or 9 years after college, I started hanging around here and reading about sororities. I was shocked to find out that many of the things I did to get into Gamma Sigma Sigma would now be considered hazing! We did pledge books, interviews, pledge projects/activities, tests, etc. Of course none of it was done in a "hazing" sort of way...but there were points assigned and it was expected that you would WANT to get to know the history, the other sisters, and the organization. I personally liked the interviews, we got to make up our own questions so I found out some interesting things about people. I'm shy so it was a good conversation starter and a great way to discover connections with active sisters (shared major, interests, etc.) From there things develop into spending time together studying or sharing those interests, then into real friendships.

I get why anti-hazing is important, but I think we've reached a point where we are throwing out the baby with the bath water. People don't feel connected to organizations or to their "sisters" so why stick around? You can use these sorts of activities as "hazing" opportunities, but then again, even with all the "bans" on this, that and the other thing...people still get hazed. If people are that intent on hazing their NMs they will find a way...
I agree with you.

I nearly lost it when I was told one of my most cherished traditions as a collegian was eliminated because "someone" "might" consider it hazing. It had never (to the best of my knowledge) been anything but a pleasant occasion for any of the sisters in my year groups. I had not heard of any issues, but since there was no "education value" to it, it went away. I thought sororities were supposed to be another form of education, and never wanted to see a pledge period as just another class.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Lawyers and insurance companies, my friends, lawyers and insurance companies.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:17 PM

^^^Right.

It only takess one (for lack of a better word) asshole to take a tradition/event/etc. in a completely wrong direction.

Like people were bringing up the interview thing. That is probably a really great activity in the way that you all experienced it (harmless, fun, getting to know people, etc.)

Then some asshole decided, "after we're done interviewing that pledge, let's make her do 20 push ups to get our signatures." That activity has just taken a pointless and stupid turn.

Lakers Nation.