GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Zeta > Zeta Phi Beta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,324
1 members and 1,323 guests
acg233

Old 07-30-2009, 11:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Tumbao
Ill admit to being a lil tired and skimming over some of the longer posts, but did no one notice that GPhiG and SPhiS predate Iotas, and developed many of the traditions that we accept as "historically BGLO" or "D9" BEFORE D9 orgs had done so themsylves? I mean their orgs had adopted hand signs before AKA's, SGRho's and Iotas for-sure and a number of the other traditions we associate with D9 were developing around the time Grooves were coming up so who's to say they stole or copied anything.

I love my Cuzzos of Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta, but I need all NPHC orgs to realize YOU DID NOT INVENT THE WHEEL, you just kept it rolling. Just as your founders did, people are still going to come around and take your traditions and adopt them as their own...

Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity, Inc.
[/FONT]
Old 07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
from what i've seen around here on GC i think the majority of D9 Greeks recognize that. just a thought.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
from what i've seen around here on GC i think the majority of D9 Greeks recognize that. just a thought.
You know most of the greeks on here have been on here for a grip and the ones that haven't still have some years under the belt, so I will give them that much... The ones on GC do. But it's like when you go to an icebreaker or sigma party and you see LTA strolling or GSS and peoples are confused/angry to hear another org call and throw up a sign.

[/FONT]
Old 08-02-2009, 08:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbao View Post
Ill admit to being a lil tired and skimming over some of the longer posts, but did no one notice that GPhiG and SPhiS predate Iotas, and developed many of the traditions that we accept as "historically BGLO" or "D9" BEFORE D9 orgs had done so themsylves? I mean their orgs had adopted hand signs before AKA's, SGRho's and Iotas for-sure and a number of the other traditions we associate with D9 were developing around the time Grooves were coming up so who's to say they stole or copied anything.

I love my Cuzzos of Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta, but I need all NPHC orgs to realize YOU DID NOT INVENT THE WHEEL, you just kept it rolling. Just as your founders did, people are still going to come around and take your traditions and adopt them as their own...
I've been greek for 16+ years and I've never heard anyone in the D9 accuse the Grooves and Swings of copying/mimicing BGLO's (on those campuses where D9 and Grooves/Swings exist because remember not all D9 chapters have had experience with them). In fact, on many of these campuses they are respected by D9 and are viewed like a BGLO although they are not. I have also listened to Grooves and Swings try to explain why they are so different from the D9 and talk as if there is something wrong in being a GLO and suggest that because we have 3 greek letters that we do not know from whence we came. I think this is where some members of BGLO's/D9 get rubbed the wrong way. I understand that the Grooves and Swings honor Khemetic principles/ideals and that's great but as long as they have the one greek letter (Phi), their argument about why adopt greek letters...yadda, yadda, yadda....falls on deaf ears with many in the D9. The same argument they make for having one greek letter, can be made by the D9 in having three. So I think they should just leave that argument alone and everything will be cool.

Also, to your other point, I think some non-BGLO orgs/members can be disrespectful in saying things like we didn't invent the wheel. We may not have invented the first wheel but everyone builds upon the first wheel and creates their own by bringing their own style, flavor, swag...if you will. To suggest that the D9 and BGLO's didn't come up with their own and contribute greatly to what's done and seen today (stepping for example) is very disrespectful and I think as long as non-BGLO's are going to say and do certain things with little or no respect for the contribution of orgs like those in the D9, they will be met with animosity from some. And that's not to say that other orgs like the Grooves/Swings for example didn't contribute and that's also not to say that anyone owes the D9 anything but if you want to be respected you have to respect others and their contributions and not play them down like they really didn't do anything.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to disrespect org who have contributed alot to greek life - For example stepping, strolling, pledge lines & unique intake processes. Rather I meant to say those who are upset to see orgs whom have adopted similar traditions to their own. Those that can't seem to get over GSS, KKPsi, TBS, PhiMA and SLB. 5 non nphc (although we are nphc at some campuses) orgs who step, stroll, call, have hand signs and pledge lines <-traditions thought to be exclusive to d9.

[/FONT]
Old 08-15-2010, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I've been greek for 16+ years and I've never heard anyone in the D9 accuse the Grooves and Swings of copying/mimicing BGLO's (on those campuses where D9 and Grooves/Swings exist because remember not all D9 chapters have had experience with them). In fact, on many of these campuses they are respected by D9 and are viewed like a BGLO although they are not. I have also listened to Grooves and Swings try to explain why they are so different from the D9 and talk as if there is something wrong in being a GLO and suggest that because we have 3 greek letters that we do not know from whence we came. I think this is where some members of BGLO's/D9 get rubbed the wrong way. I understand that the Grooves and Swings honor Khemetic principles/ideals and that's great but as long as they have the one greek letter (Phi), their argument about why adopt greek letters...yadda, yadda, yadda....falls on deaf ears with many in the D9. The same argument they make for having one greek letter, can be made by the D9 in having three. So I think they should just leave that argument alone and everything will be cool.

Also, to your other point, I think some non-BGLO orgs/members can be disrespectful in saying things like we didn't invent the wheel. We may not have invented the first wheel but everyone builds upon the first wheel and creates their own by bringing their own style, flavor, swag...if you will. To suggest that the D9 and BGLO's didn't come up with their own and contribute greatly to what's done and seen today (stepping for example) is very disrespectful and I think as long as non-BGLO's are going to say and do certain things with little or no respect for the contribution of orgs like those in the D9, they will be met with animosity from some. And that's not to say that other orgs like the Grooves/Swings for example didn't contribute and that's also not to say that anyone owes the D9 anything but if you want to be respected you have to respect others and their contributions and not play them down like they really didn't do anything.
I do not think that there has been official report that a certain BLGO were the first to create stepping, strolling, lines, etc. Remember many were even created because they could not join the White Orgs already created. I think that person is just saying that you too were influenced by something and took part in evolving these aspects of organizations into what they are today. I dont think it was meant in disrespect rather recognition.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n View Post
I do not think that there has been official report that a certain BLGO were the first to create stepping, strolling, lines, etc. Remember many were even created because they could not join the White Orgs already created. I think that person is just saying that you too were influenced by something and took part in evolving these aspects of organizations into what they are today. I dont think it was meant in disrespect rather recognition.
You can stop digging up old threads now.
Old 08-15-2010, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1n View Post
Are you going to bump every thread on this forum that mentions Groove?

We get it. You can give it a rest.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:51 AM
GreekChat Member

lol yea i am...kinda a late bloomer