GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Xi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,765
1 members and 1,764 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-01-2005, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Xi Brother dies in Iraq

My prayers are with the family and brothers of Theta Xi during this hard time.

--Jen
Chi Omega

Tech alumnus dies in Iraq

posted: February 01, 2005

Tech alumnus and Theta Xi brother Christoper Weaver perished in combat overseas. His friends at Tech reflected yesterday on Weaver’s life long ambition to join the military.

Ellen Biltz
Associate News Editor Collegiate Times

Many men idolized G.I. Joe in their youth, but not all aspire so greatly as to join the military as an adult. Cpl. Christopher Weaver of Frederickburg, a Virginia Tech alumnus, died in an Iraqi ambush last week, January 26.

“He told me once, when I asked him why he wanted to join the military, ‘Because I always wanted to be like G.I. Joe,’” said Jeff D’Anza, Theta Xi fraternity brother and high school friend of Weaver. “As a kid I guess he got that view of being a soldier and fighting for what’s right.”

While Weaver may have looked up to G.I. Joe, as the “Real American Hero” that the toy’s slogan may suggest, D’Anza, a senior history major, said Weaver also came from a military background. His father David is a member of the Navy.

“His mother was never that fond of him going into the military, but he definitely gave it his all and never complained,” said Chris Walsh, Theta Xi president and junior mechanical engineering major.

D’Anza also said that after the 9/11 attacks, Weaver was very dedicated to his role in the Marine Corps.

“I think, in a certain way, he was excited for it, he knew that he was going to have to go somewhere after 9/11. He was scared, but it definitely wasn’t something he did begrudgingly,” D’Anza said.

The university does not have a memorial service planned for Weaver, but Mark Owczarski, university spokesman, said that if the family requests a service, the university will hold one.

While there is no service planned at this point, the Corps of Cadets will be adding Weaver’s name to the Pylons in remembrance of his death in the line of duty.

Walsh said Weaver had always shown leadership skills.

“He was one of those guys that when he spoke, it was always worth listening to,” Walsh said.

D’Anza also said Weaver was well respected by his peers and his friends.

“There was nothing in the world that meant more to him than his friends,” D’Anza said. “The times he was happiest was during the simple things, like sitting around and watching a movie with friends.”

While friendship was very important to Weaver, D’Anza said his relationship with his family was also very positive.

“He had an excellent relationship with his family and his family actually had a good relationship with a lot of his friends, too,” D’Anza said.

Besides the multiple roles and positions he played within his fraternity, Weaver was also an avid bike rider. Walsh said he participated in an annual ride for multiple sclerosis.

Weaver is the fourth member of the Virginia Tech community to die in the War in Iraq. The university has lost two alumni and one current student to the war.