GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,792
4 members and 1,788 guests
Sciencewoman, speedsters

Old 07-05-2020, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

112 Fraternity Members At The University Of Washington Have Tested Positive For COVID

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...ton?origin=shp

Quote:
At least 121 University of Washington students, nearly all of whom are fraternity members, have tested positive for COVID-19, officials said Sunday.

In what the Seattle university described as the "Greek Row outbreak," at least 112 fraternity house members tested positive for the virus as of Sunday. The nine other students who tested positive were "close contacts" of the fraternity house residents, but did not live in the houses, the university said.

A total of 213 people have tested positive for COVID-19, including students, staff, and faculty, raising concerns about the safety of students as the University of Washington prepares to reopen its campus for in-person instruction in the fall.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-05-2020, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

They're living on campus now?
Old 07-05-2020, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They're living on campus now?
Greekchat is acting weird and won't let me post anything in quotes right now, but from the article:

Around 1,000 students have been living in 25 fraternity houses in a neighborhood north of the University of Washington campus, according to the university. The residents of the houses, including those who tested positive, those who had symptoms, and others who may have been exposed, were asked to quarantine or self-isolate.

A popup university testing site, set up earlier this week near Greek Row, had conducted nearly 1,300 tests as of the holiday weekend, the university said.

Gottlieb said that most of the houses had previously taken measures to reduce their resident capacity by up to 50% in summer in response to the pandemic, but added that those measures were not sufficient without "vigilant, daily preventive measures, such as wearing face coverings, physical distancing and hand hygiene."

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 07-06-2020 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

I find it interesting that their headquarters would agree to take on the potential risk of COVID infection by not closing their houses for the interim.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Georgia campuses are closed down for the summer--online instruction only--and I guess I just assumed that the nation was like that.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Georgia Tech just announced school would open without students required to masks. The faculty—especially the older ones—are both furious and afraid. But GA’s governor requires all state schools to follow HIS state guidelines, not allowing each college administration to form their own roles.
Here we go...sometimes the powers that be don’t act with EVERYBODY’S best interests at heart.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm feeling like classes in the fall are looking less and less likely in many locations.

Is it more beneficial to bring everyone back just to increase numbers and send them home again?

What about the professors who have health issues?

I don't know the answers but numbers like these make me so anxious.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Georgia Tech just announced school would open without students required to masks. The faculty—especially the older ones—are both furious and afraid. But GA’s governor requires all state schools to follow HIS state guidelines, not allowing each college administration to form their own roles.
Here we go...sometimes the powers that be don’t act with EVERYBODY’S best interests at heart.
That's just outright frightening. Perfect storm for COVID to take over the campus and especially do damage to older professors and staff already at risk.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
That's just outright frightening. Perfect storm for COVID to take over the campus and especially do damage to older professors and staff already at risk.
“Optional masks” are just a bad idea all around. I feel awful for the staff, faculty and students who don’t want to pul themselves at risk.

As a younger college staff member, I have been stressed about going back to work and we have been mandated to wear masks. I can control how I do things in my office. I cannot control what happens in a classroom or shared spaces, like bathrooms. We have to trust that everyone coming on these campuses is doing what needs to be done and frankly I just...don’t.

My uncle is an ultrasound supervisor and he told us that most of the Covid-19 patients he’s seen have been under the age of 40. He saw a healthy 36-year-old parish in 2 1/2 days, after entering the hospital. At this point everyone should treat this as a high risk. It’s like Russian Roulette, except we are all unwilling participants.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
Georgia is truly the "hold my beer" state.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post

As a younger college staff member, I have been stressed about going back to work and we have been mandated to wear masks. I can control how I do things in my office. I cannot control what happens in a classroom or shared spaces, like bathrooms. We have to trust that everyone coming on these campuses is doing what needs to be done and frankly I just...don’t.
I know exactly what you mean. Thankfully my employer is being flexible about letting me come in only a couple days a week right now, even though I was originally supposed to be back at the office full-time starting July 1st. I plan to play it by ear and go in 2-3 days a week through July. I also worry about the bathroom and other shared spaces, especially with new cases/hospitalizations/ICU beds ticking up, up, and up even more where I live. It's unsettling.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I just keep thinking that as much as everyone wants to be back at school and as much as the schools are pushing it, what will it look like if students start getting sick?

Will an online option need to be offered anyway to the students who test positive and can't come to class?

And what if they live in the dorms? How will they use the bathroom (if communal) and not infect others? How will they eat if they have a meal plan? Who is going to volunteer to bring them food from the cafeteria two to three times a day?

It's recommended that people self-quarantine if they have contact with someone who is known to have tested positive. Does that mean that the professors that taught that one student will have to quarantine and teach their classes from home for a couple weeks? Will their students be forced to stay away from campus (or in their dorm room), as well?

What if those students are in labs that are hands-on, can't be taught from afar, and now they have to make it up later? Sure, that might be OK if there's one student who's sick, but what happens if there are numerous cases staggered over the course of the semester and all need special accommodations?

I usually try to look at the positive side of things, but I do NOT see this going well.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Unhappy

I don't know what the answer is. My 2 youngest sons are upperclassmen at the same university. Neither one has classes that can be taken remotely.

One has advanced Spanish conversation classes that usually fare poorly online. The other has intermediate Japanese conversation classes plus advanced botany with labs plus his teaching internship. They can't take a gap year to study their languages overseas because overseas study just isn't happening now.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I just keep thinking that as much as everyone wants to be back at school and as much as the schools are pushing it, what will it look like if students start getting sick?

Will an online option need to be offered anyway to the students who test positive and can't come to class?

And what if they live in the dorms? How will they use the bathroom (if communal) and not infect others? How will they eat if they have a meal plan? Who is going to volunteer to bring them food from the cafeteria two to three times a day?

It's recommended that people self-quarantine if they have contact with someone who is known to have tested positive. Does that mean that the professors that taught that one student will have to quarantine and teach their classes from home for a couple weeks? Will their students be forced to stay away from campus (or in their dorm room), as well?

What if those students are in labs that are hands-on, can't be taught from afar, and now they have to make it up later? Sure, that might be OK if there's one student who's sick, but what happens if there are numerous cases staggered over the course of the semester and all need special accommodations?

I usually try to look at the positive side of things, but I do NOT see this going well.
This is exactly what keeps me busy all day, and keeps me up at night, as a department chair and a facilities volunteer. Putting classes online is a major undertaking, and hugely time-consuming if you're trying to do it right. All of this is a logistical nightmare and the amount of planning going on behind the scenes is incredible. But, it will all be for naught if everyone takes off their masks, hangs out at parties, etc. I asked our outgoing house manager last week if she'd heard of any members or parents who were nervous about coming back and she said, "oh no, everyone's over it and they just want to get back." That's exactly what I'm afraid of....
Old 07-06-2020, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This is exactly what's keep me up at night, as a department chair and a facilities volunteer. Putting classes online is a major undertaking, and hugely time-consuming if you're trying to do it right. All of this is a logistical nightmare and the amount of planning going on behind the scenes incredible. But, it will all be for naught if everyone takes of their masks, hangs out at parties, etc. I asked our outgoing house manager last week if she'd heard of any members or parents who were nervous about coming back and she said, "oh no, everyone's over it and they just want to get back." That's exactly what I'm afraid of....
Exactly. My Twitter feed was full of news networks reporting beach parties, house parties and buffet style cookouts this past weekend, from locations all over the country. The commitment has to be there. I mean they won’t be able to even trace it if an outbreak happens.