GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,377
5 members and 1,372 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Yet another retro recruitment!

Just feeding the retro rush thread addicts

Plus I've been reading all these threads and I want to do a retro rush story too! I'm sitting here bored out of my mind waiting for the washer/dryer repairman to get here so I figured why not!

There aren’t as many plot twists or unusual scenereos as some of the other threads. Still I think there’s a nice little message to my story and it might be beneficial to future PNMs

I went to a small southern school with a very strong Greek system. Rush wasn't as competitive as SEC schools and in fact several girls came to my school, rushed, initiated, then immediately transfered to an SEC school. Still there were many girls that ended up dissapointed when they realized that just because it was a small school the houses were still very selective and rush was not as easy as many people expected. Greek life was a huge part of the campus social scene and I had been told that all the GDIs were "artist freaks"

My situation was a little bit of a paradox because I always knew I wanted to be in a sorority and I was pretty much the typical PNM. I went to a very preppy, southern all-girls school high school where pretty much every graduate went on to join a sorority. I had decent social skills, dressed well, good grades, I had been a varsity athlete in HS, etc. Whenever I’d ask older friends who were already in sororities what to expect from rush they would just say “don’t worry about it, you’ll be fine.” However, I was completely clueless on rush and what to expect. I honestly thought that rush parties were just big parties with boys and beer and music and drinking games and the PNMs would show up and mingle with the actives. That’s what a party is right?!

Also a little more about me. I had a major inferiority complex. After our intro to Greek life meeting I was convinced that I would be dropped by every house because there was no way I could compete with all the perfect, gorgeous girls who were rushing with me. I got incredibly intimidated by people that I thought were better than me, i,e, the girls who were gorgeous, had boys hanging all over them, had tons of friends, designer clothes, etc. When I was around those girls I felt like I had nothing to say and would get incredibly shy. I was in awe of them. Those girls were my idols and they were who I wanted to be. To go along with this, I’ll also mention that when I was 18 I was immature, not very self-confident, and thought that my entire social future was based on which sorority I joined. I don’t want y’all to think that I’m still like this, I have grown up a lot! Still I think it’s important to realize that a lot of PNMs are like I was.

My parents were both greek but weren’t very helpful with prepping me for rush. I remember when they dropped me off at school my dad said “just be friendly and bubbly and people will like you.” I tried to take that to heart because I was worried that my insecurities with new people would really hurt me during rush. So the during the whole proces I kept telling myself “just be bubbly.”

We had 4 sororities. Since I'm going to France in a few weeks with some of my sorority sisters, I'll call the houses-
Bordeaux
Marseille
Giverny
Lyon

Last edited by kelcaopi; 07-17-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm excited about this one!!! I like the schools with only a few sororities so I can keep them straight.

I believe in friendships formed at the spring time of my youth...

Phi Alpha Delta
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you are starting a thread. I was afraid we were going to be stuck until Auburn.

-

"My Crown is in my heart, not on my head;" ~King HenryVI, Shakespere~
Old 07-17-2007, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

So pretty much this is my rush story except my high school was co-ed and neither of my parents were greek!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by khlkcca View Post
I'm so glad you are starting a thread. I was afraid we were going to be stuck until Auburn.
I know I thought the same thing!
Old 07-17-2007, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

The washing machine repairman still isn't here!

One more important thing about my campus... silence didn't start until the first day of rush so that meant you were allowed to talk with the sorority girls all you wanted during the first week of school before rush began. There were rules like the sorority girls could only talk about how great greek life was but not about their individual chapter. Still it was very easy to tell who was who and be influenced. They were allowed to invite us to go out with them so everyone's schedule that week was completely booked! There was only one official all-campus party that they were allowed to invite us to (the rest we would just "bump into each other") but we went out for lunch, coffee, dinner, ice cream, etc. every day. I met a lot of Bordeauxs and Marseilles but not many Givernys or Lyons. I remember specifically going to the all-campus party with the two incredibly beautiful Bordeauxs and we had a blast. I met more people that night than I’ve ever met in my life and it seemed like those two girls knew everyone in the school. I loved the feeling of having people swarming to me and I associated that with Bordeaux. I also remember going to a baseball game with a large group of Marseilles and having a great time. I met two Givernys for lunch which ended up lasting 4 hours because we had such a good conversation. I also felt like I got the cold shoulder from Lyon even though I did meet a couple of them.

My first impressions during that week were
Bordeaux – the stereotypical sorority girls. Hardcore partiers, beautiful, but still really fun to hang out with. I had a friend from high school, Sally, who was a Bordeaux and I was drawn to them because of her. She introduced me to a lot of her sisters and I thought they were all really cool.

Marseille – Didn’t have the best reputation but I wasn’t really sure why. They all seemed like really nice, fun girls and I really enjoyed hanging out with them. I had heard a lot of rumors involving them and things that had happened the year before so that kind of worried me.

Giverny – The few girls that I met were really fun and I liked them a lot but I had heard mixed reviews about this house. Everyone agreed they were sweet girls but their stereotype was that they were nerdy and unsocial. They always had the highest gpa on the row and were involved in everything but were rumored to be the type that would stay in and study on a Friday night instead of going to the fraternity parties. I wanted to keep an open mind but it was hard because my quad mates had already ruled out this house before rush started and I didn’t want to join the “wrong” house.

Lyon – Very southern and conservative girls. I also knew a girl from high school, Katie, who was a Lyon there. She was nice, we weren’t really friends but I had always thought highly of her and enjoyed talking to her before rush started. I didn't meet many others and they never called me to go out but they were all over my roommate. One time they came to get my roommate and invited me to go with them but I felt like the third wheel the entire time. The group as a whole seemed a little stuck up and I just got a bad vibe from them. I heard they were really religious and I’m not so much so I wasn’t sure if they would even want me as a sister. But I also heard that they were the most exclusive house on the row and you should consider yourself extremely lucky if they wanted you. Their eliteness was intriguing so I hoped they would like me even though I pretty much knew it was a lost cause before rush even started.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

i was rooting for Bordeaux but now i don't know. i'm gonna go for Giverny.
Old 07-17-2007, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Hmmmm......

Who to root for???

I'm going to stick with tld and root for Giverny!!

GO GIVERNY! GO!!
Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Rush began on a Friday afternoon at 5. I didn’t get out of class until 3:30 so I was frantically trying to get ready. I was completely stressed out and just a ball of nerves because I hate running late for things and not feeling prepared. I still felt like I didn’t have a good grasp about what I had to do during rush and was nervous that I wouldn’t have anything to talk about. I’ve never been great at small talk so I was panicked that I wouldn’t be able to carry on a conversation and all the houses would wonder what hole I had just crawled out of. I was absolutely convinced that I would get cut from every house.

But I tried to suck it up and be friendly and bubbly and just make every effort to appear like I belonged in a sorority. I wore a cute Lilly skirt, a polo shirt, sandals and pearls.

My first house of the day was Bordeaux and I was excited to go there first. I had been warned about the singing but I was so unprepared for the chanting at the top of their lungs that I was like a deer in the headlights. The girl that picked me up was probably the bubbliest person I’ve ever talked to and she seemed genuinely interested in me. She asked me about 1000 questions so I never had to worry about awkward silences. She introduced me to a lot of people who just seemed to be hanging on my every word. I had never had anyone that interested in me before! I left loving this house.

Next was Lyon. Katie picked me up so I was happy to see a familiar face. We reminisced about high school and I asked her questions about the house. It went fine for about 15 minutes but then we just ran out of things to talk about. We made small talk but I felt pretty uncomfortable. Finally some more people came over and introduced themselves but the conversation didn’t get much better. I left feeling like I hadn’t made a very good impression.

Next was Marseille. I really enjoyed these girls. I met a girl who was captain of the equestrian team and I had been riding since I was 5 so we talked about horses and the team and shows. There were a few other riders in the house so immediately when we realized we had that in common she grabbed them and we all had a lot of fun talking. Overall I really liked this house and decided not to worry about what I had heard about them.

Finally I went to Giverny. I really didn’t know how to feel about this house and found myself scoping out the actives judging them on how they looked. I know that sounds bad but I was insecure and didn’t want to be labeled the nerdy girl. I thought overall they seemed cute so that made me feel a little better. The girl that picked me up had a really strong southern accent and was so excited because she was best friends with a girl that I had gone to high school with. She showed me their scrapbook and I met a few other girls. I felt comfortable here and was surprised at how easily the conversation flowed. I never found myself thinking "what am I going to talk about next."

Overall I was thrilled with how well I had done on the first day but I still didn't want to get my hopes up too much.

Last edited by kelcaopi; 07-17-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
I'm changing my vote to Marseille!!

GO Marseille!!! GO!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:39 AM
GreekChat Member

France! Yay!

Hmm...Lyon, the classy, fancy, cuisine to die for second city of France. Lovely Bordeaux, with it's small town feel but rolling vineyards and beaches nearby. Giverny, beautiful gardens immortalized by Monet. Still, I'm going with Marseille, often looked down upon, but if you take the time to explore beneath the rough exterior (as I did), you may just fall in love....

Allez Marseille!
Old 07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

2nd round

The next day we could attend up to 4 houses again. I got my invitations and was happy to see that I was invited back to all of them. But so was everyone else in my Rho Chi group so that didn’t over excite me too much. Generally the only people that were cut after the first round were the ones that didn’t have the gpa or had done something really bad! I wore a blue sundress, espadrilles, and pearls

First we visited Giverny. I don’t really remember much about the girls I met other than we made the usual small talk and they seemed friendly but we didn’t really connect. Still feeling a little apprehensive about the house in general I asked as many questions about social events as possible. In hindsight they might have thought I was a little too interested in the party scene but I didn’t really think about that at the time. They showed a slideshow and it looked like they had fun but I wasn’t 100% convinced. They said that they had parties with every fraternity on campus and I was impressed with that. Their skit was fun to watch but looking around I thought the actives just didn’t seem very into the skit. The looked slightly embarrassed which made me uncomfortable for them. I was pretty confused about this house in general. These girls were just sweet and down to earth, which was who I was also, but I didn't want "nice" I wanted "stunning."

Next was Bordeaux. Again I had an amazing time here. Sally picked me up and introduced me to a lot of other girls. They were so easy to talk to and again they seemed to hang on my every word. The president and rush chair also came over and talked for a while. I started to feel like maybe they were too interested and I felt like they were being kind of fake. I was really nervous that I was say the wrong thing and be shunned. Still they had a ton of energy and I really enjoyed myself here. Their skit was funny but one thing that weirded me out a little was that they had a few lines joking about how they had the lowest gpa on the row. I didn’t know how to react to that but I still left thinking that they were so much fun and I’d love to go back. I was really self-conscious though and I had a feeling they would cut me because they just seemed so perfect and they would realize I wasn’t good enough for them. They were the girls I was completely envious of in high school and seemed to have nothing in common with but unlike Giverny these were definitely the girls I wanted to be. I just hoped that I had made a good enough impression to get invited back.

Next we went to Marseille. The girl that picked me up was wearing a toga and I didn’t know how to react to that. I wasn’t sure if I should say something or just act like it was completely normal. All of the others girls in the house were wearing cute cocktail dresses and I was just so confused! But then she explained that she was dressed up in one of their theme party costumes. I looked around and noticed maybe 15 other girls also wearing bizarre costumes so at that point I thought it was pretty funny. They talked a lot about their social events and had a slideshow that looked like they were having a lot of fun. Their skit was very catchy and I had their song stuck in my head for the rest of the week. I thought these seemed like really fun and laidback girls and I enjoyed my conversations with everyone today. By this day I had completely forgotten about their reputation.

Last was Lyon. I was not comfortable here. The girl talking to me seemed completely disinterested and like she was mad that she had to talk to me. I tried to ask as many questions as possible but she pretty much answered all of them in one word and didn’t initiate any conversation. Finally after many awkward silences she took me over to another group of PNMs and rushees. The conversation there wasn’t much better but at least there were more of us. Finally it was time for their skit and I was relieved because I knew after that the party would be over and I could leave.

We didn’t rank the chapters and instead would wait and see who invited us back then accept or decline our invitations. We knew that we could only go back to three parties for the 3rd round so all anyone could talk about all week was who they were going to drop assuming they got invited back to all of them. I had a feeling I would be cut from at least Lyon and I was still convinced that I was going to get cut from all the houses. All my quad mates were dropping Giverny but I hadn’t decided if I would cut them or Lyon. I had liked Giverny much more than Lyon but Lyon was just so much more elite than Giverny and I was definitely concerned with prestige. So what’s an insecure freshman trying to make a name for herself supposed to do?
Old 07-18-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSAI View Post
I'm changing my vote to Marseille!!

GO Marseille!!! GO!
traitor!!!!

it's ok. But now im torn between Giverny and Marseille!

umm, update please!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I am rooting for either Bordeaux or Marseille.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelcaopi View Post
I had liked Giverny much more than Lyon but Lyon was just so much more elite than Giverny and I was definitely concerned with prestige. So what’s an insecure freshman trying to make a name for herself supposed to do?
Ohhh, do I see a lesson for PNMs on the horizon?

I'm pulling for Marseille.

Tld, I'm totally verklempt that my quote is in your signature. Special

Last edited by LegallyBrunette; 07-18-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: grammar. like always.