GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Xi Delta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,357
2 members and 1,355 guests
LaneSig, TLLK

Old 09-26-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Iota Zeta Recruitment

Ladies,
I have exciting news. As you know, I am the chapter advisor for the Iota Zeta chapter (yes, I also recently became an AF, but haven't found anyone yet to replace me on the Advisory Board). So, I am still actively involved with the chapter. And we have Recruitment starting this week. There are currently 68 women officially signed up for Recruitment here at Wingate!!! With 3 sororities, this potentially puts quota in the 21-23 range. This would be the highest in 5 years. There are a lot of terrific women of all classes, freshmen-seniors, signed up with fabulous lists of activities and most have super-duper grades. This should be an exciting Recruitment for us. We have No Frills, Partially Structured Recruitment. If I share too much, I am sure the moderators will edit my post appropriately.

Here is our schedule:

Thursday: Open House; all PNMs attend all three events, no cuts after this event; sorority women wear university spirit shirts- no sorority shirts or pins; room decoration - one banner only, ice water in cups is served

Sunday: Sisterhood Night; PNMs attend all three events; cuts are made after this night; sorority women wear letters, but not all the same shirt

Monday: Philanthropy Night; PNMs may choose to attend all 3 if invited; sorority women may wear screen print shirts (we will have bump groups wear the same shirt); Pref invites are made after this night

Tuesday: Preference; PNMs may choose to attend all 3 if invited; on this campus, most sororities wear all black for Preference; we may serve a dessert and punch; final bid lists due to Greek Advisor by 1:00 AM.

We are using ICS for the first time this year, and it has pros and cons.
Pros: We can look at the PNM information sheets and photo at any time after she registers. We can get schedules and make our cuts efficiently.

Cons: (Mostly selfish reasons!!) I don't get to hang out in the clubhouse playing board games with the Rho Gammas while waiting for the other groups to finish their bid lists. I also don't get to hang out with the other chapter advisors for a couple of hours doing bid matching. And, this way I won't know for certain who from our first bid list was also on the other groups' first bid lists....I mainly enjoyed the evening with the other advisors. And it gave me a chance to drag out my green book!!

And, we also have an ELC with us for Recruitment!! Megan arrived last night, and my girls absolutely LOVE her. They were expecting some scary person from "HQ", and discovered that she is terrific. They are now having impromptu workshops, have planned a Sisterhood event for tomorrow night to make door decorations for our New Members, and are having a lot of fun.

This year Recruitment may turn out to be better than we have had in years. We are so pumped!!!!!
Old 09-27-2006, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, what a great amount of women! I know all the sororities would like a boost in numbers.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Sounds like Iota Zeta is ready to go ... good luck and keep us updated!!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcsparky View Post
...And, we also have an ELC with us for Recruitment!! Megan arrived last night, and my girls absolutely LOVE her...
Megan is from my chapter. We weren't there at the same time, but I saw her in the last issue of The Quill. Tell her hello from a fellow Delta Nu.

Good luck with recruitment. Sound like it has the potential to be a great one.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Round 1 is over!

Ladies,
Thursday night was terrific! The new Greek Advisor was able to talk the administration into letting us use the new classroom building for Open House night. Here is the set-up: each group was given a classroom to use for conversation. We served ice water only (which probably helped in gettting us the building- not a lot of damage can be done by plain water!!). The classrooms were clustered next to each other. It was interesting to see how the three organizations set up their rooms. Our group created clusters of 4-5 desks around the room. PNMs and members sat at these clusters to talk. Another organization moved the desks out and everyone stood around to talk. Another one pushed the desks to the side, and had chairs set up around the room in small groups to talk.

The PNMs were split into three groups, and each organization had three parties that night. The PNMs wore jeans or khakis and t-shirts. Some wore the Recruitment t-shirts, but it wasn't required. All sorority members wore some sort of school shirt: SGA polos, athletic team jerseys, shirts from the campus store, and a variety of t-shirts from school events. Absolutely no sorority shirts were allowed. No door chants were allowed on this night.

Our girls had the cutest name tags! They were made to look like diamond rings, with silver glitter making these HUGE diamonds on top of the rings. Names were written in the circle of the ring. The other organizations wore simple square "Hello, my name is...." name tags.

I was amazed at the quality of women who came out for Recruitment. We had 71 arrive that night, and another 8 have registered since then!!! The night went very smoothly, no glitches. It is going to be hard to make cuts (for other than grades) on Sunday night, because so many of the women are fantastic. I would estimate that more than 4/5 of them have two or mote of these characteristics:multiple clubs, leadership positions, community service, talents (drama, choir, musical instruments), athletic ability and grades (above 3.2).

Registration continues until Sunday afternoon, so we won't have a true idea of how many women will be available until then. We will find out Sunday night how many we are required to cut. The computer (ICS) will tell use how many we are allowed to invite back. Some time on Monday I'll let you know how things go Sunday night. This is so exciting!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Sisterhood Night

Last night was the Sisterhood Night. The girls wore the CUTEST letter shirts imaginable. They were excited, and happy to be there. We were in the same classroom as before. Once again, minimal decorations were allowed. The girls hung their homemade banner (which looks great!!) and the AXiD banner. They had two tables of AXiD "stuff" (scrapbooks, mugs, picture frames, composites, etc...) and ice water with lemon slices. They also wore their diamond ring name tags again.

They arranged the chairs into small circular groups around the room, and had a formal "bump" system worked out so that chapter members got to meet as many PNMs as possible. This seemed to work very well for them last night.

At the end of the night we were told that the chapter could invite back 85% of the women to the next round. Since many young women had dropped, or had been no-shows for the first two rounds, there were 70 women left on the PNM list. The chapter invited back 60 women. The chapter is so nervous about who accepts!! There are a ton of fabulous women going through Recruitment. They just hope the PNMs are are impressed with them as they are with the PNMs!!!

It was a good evening overall. We had two alumnae come to help, plus the ELC, so I was able to leave campus at 11:00 PM. Not bad for a Recruitment night!!! The PNMs pick up their invites this afternoon, and we will receive the invite list right before the first round starts tonight. I'll update you as soon as I can.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, they were able to say they were Alpha Xi Delta, and were alllowed to have one banner on the wall signifying this. The banner was black with a gray satin border, and had Alpha Xi Delta in white and Wingate University in light gray.

"No frills" taken to the bare extreme.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Philanthropy Night

The chapter was so excited to have a 100% acceptance rate to their parties!! Overall, the return rates were great for all chapters. There were 2 PNMs who received no invites, and 2 who received only one who dropped because they weren't happy with that one (there were others who received only one who were happy with the one they received).

The girls made bears to go on the doors in the children's wing at the hospital. The PNMs had a lot of fun, and the bears were extremely cute. The bears were that foam stuff with a sticky back. They put clothes, pom pons, eyes, banners, shoes, etc.. on them.

The girls had the two banners up again, and set up one of the tables of "stuff". The table on which they were working had blue plastic tablecloths with large overlapping lighter blue and darker blue circles. Again, they served ice water with lemon slices. The members wore their diamond ring name tags and sorority event shirts with jeans, khakis or skirts. The PNMs generally wore jeans and t-shirts.

The chapter was allowed to invite 40 women back for Preference. This meant that there were 20 women they were not allowed to invite back!! I am glad they are the ones making these decisions and not me. Talk about nerve racking!!! I am still waiting for schedules to post on ICS to see if what our return rate was for tonight. They are making us wait until right before it starts to post the schedules!!! E-vil
Old 10-03-2006, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Congratulations ... good luck for preference ..
Old 10-03-2006, 09:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I will never ever EVER understand the invite back rate that happens at larger campuses. I can understand cutting girls if you just dont feel right about them, but being told you are ONLY allowed to invite back X number of girls seems like....you're cutting the possibilities of girls who want to become greek. Precisely the reason my campus doesnt have total is because if 20 girls go through formal recruitment, all 20 girls are gonna get a bid....because we wanna maximize greek life for women. Unfortunately, some do drop after pledging, but that happens anywhere...not just small schools who extended everyone a bid.

It's like when my advisor has tried to explain to explain bid matching before and girls end up not getting bids, but yet they are allowed to COR....I just dont flippin' get how you can be one of the top ranked girls throughout formal recruitment, but yet your number one on you pref list doesnt match up with their number one so you dont get a bid at all....but yet, you can be CORed *rolls eyes*

I am so glad I dont go to an SEC school. As a 23 year old freshman, they would have laughed at me going through recruitment anyway.

Good luck Tresa. Keep us updated....I keep coming back to read the thread....
Old 10-04-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

okay, I'm dying over here....What's the word? *grin*

//mini-hijack

keep y'alls fingers crossed for Iota Theta. We might hit record breaking numbers tomorrow. Spring 2004, We colonized with 11 girls. Right now, we have 11 girls. Tomorrow, we're extending a bid. Keep your fingers crossed that she accepts! If she does, that will be a new member class of 7 girls! WOOHOO!

//end hi-jack
Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Amanda, mandatory cut rates don't necessarily prevent women from becoming Greek. Let's say all sororities have to cut 20 women each; what makes the system work is that the sororities will not cut the same 20 women. It's true that some women are more sought after than others, but sororities are looking for different traits in their members. And generally they won't all have to cut 20; there is often a sorority that doesn't have to make cuts because its return rate in previous years was low. (That doesn't mean they won't elect to voluntarily make cuts.)

That said, I don't think it's a bad thing to cut the possibilities of some girls who want to become Greek! Being a GLO is supposed to be an honor; it is supposed to recognize good character and scholarship. If a rushee does not have those traits, they do not meet membership requirements. We stand for more than just earnest desire to be a sister. What we hope is that the membership process eliminates the right people (er, the wrong people?) - that the women who will make good sisters get the bids and those who will not don't. Despite what we say on here sometimes, I don't think there is or should be a Greek home for everyone.

In super-large systems sometimes excellent women do fall through the cracks. But this isn't true most places. If there is deferred recruitment, or if it's a small campus, sisters and rushees tend to know something of each other going in.

Sorry we're hijacking here, TC. Thanks for posting this thread! I love reading about recruitment from the advisor's and chapter's perspective.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink Preference

OK, winding down now. The chapter invited back 40 women, and 39 accepted. That makes a 98% acceptance rate!!! Whoo hooo!!!

The room was the lobby of the old Auditorium. Black plastic had been hung over all of the plate glass windows by Panhel, making it dark and evening-like. With the tea lights and candles for decoration, along with scads of pink roses, the room looked pretty nice. There were three parties. The ceremony was wonderful. A sophomore spoke about joining last semester, and a senior spoke about being away from the chapter while in London last year, and dreading graduation because it meant she would have to leave the chapter again. The ladies looked beautiful in their black clothing, very elegant and lady-like. I was SO PROUD of them the entire night. They showed real class.

For various reasons (PM me if you want details here), we ended up with 32 attendees.

The chapter was told about an hour after the last party was over that 50 women had signed bid cards, leaving total at 16. We nervously created our first and second bid lists, then at 12:00 AM our MVP left with the ELC to input our selections to "the computer".
Old 10-04-2006, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Bid Day

I am proud to announce that the Iota Zeta Chapter of Alpha Xi Delta welcomed 18 New Members into their Sisterhood!!!!!

They took quota plus 2 Quota additions!!!!

They are now one over total!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

HOORAY! Yay for Iota Zeta!

Okay...I have another question....simply because I dont understand....

If quota is 16...and you got 18....how many girls is the chapter allowed to put on their list of "We want *these* girls"? Were you allowed to put 16 down, and then the B list you referred to grabbed the other 2? I mean, like, for example just throwing out a number here - if 25 girls listed Alpha Xi as their first choice, and assumiong that you guys wanted all 25 of those girls, how does the system "limit" how many you actually get? I understand the quote process. I DONT understand quote PLUS...

Does my question even make sense?