GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,184
1 members and 1,183 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2003, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down The Voting Rights Act & African Americans...and other urban/internet legends

**steps on soapbox**

Y'all, I am SICK and TIRED of receiving e-mails from supposedly college educated people that our right to vote will expire in 2007. THAT IS NOT TRUE!!.

Our right to vote is guaranteed by the 15th Amendment to the Constiution and can only be changed by another Amendment, an act of Congress. Yes, the Voting Rights Act is set to expire in 4 years BUT it's expiration has no bearing on that Amendment.

I need us to do better. I need us to think before we forward e-mails and do a little research if something doesn't sound right. It takes all of 5 minutes, if that long, to find out what is and is not right.

Everyone, please pass the TRUTH on to as many African Americans, heck as many PEOPLE as possible.

THe OTHER e-mail I'm sick of getting is about the alleged "Teddy Bear" virus. It ain't a virus. Once again, all it takes is a quick look @ the Symantec or Mcafee websites to find a listing of legitimate viruses, what they do and how they're spread. And "I didn't know what it was" is NO EXCUSE. You have a computer with internet access. You're sitting on a WORLD (literally) of information. LOOK IT UP!

**stepping down**

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 03-05-2003 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I have heard this trash as well....

Admendment XV. of Amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America states:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Section 2. The Congress shall have power to ENFORCE this article by appropriate legislation.

(Please excuse the spelling.) In case no one believes 12dn94dst, look it up on www.house.gov.

Last edited by Confucius; 03-05-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Voting Rights Act & African Americans...and other urban/internet legends

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst
THe OTHER e-mail I'm sick of getting is about the alleged "Teddy Bear" virus. It ain't a virus. Once again, all it takes is a quick look @ the Symantec or Mcafee websites to find a listing of legitimate viruses, what they do and how they're spread. And "I didn't know what it was" is NO EXCUSE. You have a computer with internet access. You're sitting on a WORLD (literally) of information. LOOK IT UP!
LOL, this one got me. Is this the email that leads you through the steps to delete the "Teddy Bear" virus that supposedly sits dormant on your hard drive for a certain length of time? I got it from a trusted source who said that he had accidentally spread it to everyone in his contact book. Now usually, I would erase something like that, but I was bored and followed the steps, and lo and behold, there was a hidden file on my computer that had a teddy bear icon next to it. That's why I thought the email may have validity. I didn't forward it, though. Shoot, I didn't want other people thinking I was one of those people who believe every email they receive. If this is the email you're talking about, did you find a file with the teddy bear icon?

Dang, and I was taking pride in being college educated, LOL.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: The Voting Rights Act & African Americans...and other urban/internet legends

Quote:
Originally posted by Bamboozled
LOL, this one got me. Is this the email that leads you through the steps to delete the "Teddy Bear" virus that supposedly sits dormant on your hard drive for a certain length of time? I got it from a trusted source who said that he had accidentally spread it to everyone in his contact book. Now usually, I would erase something like that, but I was bored and followed the steps, and lo and behold, there was a hidden file on my computer that had a teddy bear icon next to it. That's why I thought the email may have validity. I didn't forward it, though. Shoot, I didn't want other people thinking I was one of those people who believe every email they receive. If this is the email you're talking about, did you find a file with the teddy bear icon?

Dang, and I was taking pride in being college educated, LOL.
If you follow the steps you will find an icon with a teddy bear. The clever writer of the hoax knew that. The file you deleted is supposed to be on your computer. They were banking on knowing that the teddy bear was there and that you would not know and be surprised to find it. The point of many of these hoaxes is to get you to screw up your computer yourself. Or to beleive or do something harmful to your self. Before deleting any file offof yor computer based on a fwd email, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check credible online sites and see if it is real or hoax.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

Kimmie,

So, do I really need that file with the Teddy Bear icon? What's it for? I deleted it from my work computer, so maybe I should contact our IT department and let them know.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:59 PM

Send a message via ICQ to D.COM Send a message via AIM to D.COM Send a message via Yahoo to D.COM Send a message via Skype™ to D.COM
Good info...

Hi All:

If you have already deleted the Jdbgmgr.exe file (teddy bear icon), some Java applets may not run correctly. The file version may vary with your operating system and version of Internet Explorer. It's not a critical system file, so you can continue without it, but some Java applets may not run correctly and give you errors.

To recover the file that was deleted, go to Microsoft Knowledge Base article Virus Hoax: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q322993 and scroll down to "Recovery."

***NOTE: If you deleted it from your work computer, I suggest to contact someone from IT or just let someone know about it so that they know how to recover the file (...don't want anyone to cause any damage to their work computer, in case something goes wrong with the recovery process )

Everyone should be aware of "fake" e-mails and SHOULD NOT continue to pass them around by sending them to every person on their address book.

For VERY GOOD references/information about urban legends, tricks, and scams through e-mail, etc... you may want to visit:

1) URBAN LEGEND ZEITGEIST: http://www.urbanlegends.com/ and

2) SNOPES: http://www.snopes.com/

*Bookmark these pages and read them every now and then.

Last edited by D.COM; 03-09-2003 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

My mother just sent me news about the VOTING RIGHTS act. I replied in 3 sentences. THIS IS A URBAN LEGEND. GO VOTE. CONTINUE to VOTE. I should have put this one: Don't believe eVERYTHING on the NET.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink I READ IT ON THE INTERNET

I was on my way to the post office to pick up my case of free M&M's (sent to me because I forwarded an e-mail to five other people, celebrating the fact that the year 2000 is "MM" in Roman numerals), when I ran into a friend whose neighbor, a young man, was home recovering from having been served a rat in his bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken (which is predictable, since as everyone knows, there's no actual chicken in Kentucky Fried Chicken, which is why the government made them change their name to KFC).

Anyway, one day this guy went to sleep and when he awoke he was in his bathtub and it was full of ice and he was sore all over and when he got out of the tub he realized that HIS KIDNEY HAD BEEN STOLEN. He saw a note on his mirror that said "Call 911!" but he was afraid to use his phone because it was connected to his computer, and there was a virus on his computer that would destroy his hard drive if he opened an email entitled "Join the crew!" He knew it wasn't a hoax because he himself was a computer programmer who was working on software to prevent a global disaster in which all the computers get together and distribute the $250.00 Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe under the leadership of Bill Gates. (It's true - I read it all last week in a mass e-mail from BILL GATES HIMSELF, who was also promising me a free Disney World vacation and $5,000 if I would forward the e-mail to everyone I know.)

The poor man then tried to call 911 from a pay phone to report his missing kidneys, but a voice on the line first asked him to press #90, which unwittingly gave the bandit full access to the phone line at the guy's expense.

Then reaching into the coin-return slot he got jabbed with an HIV-infected needle around which was wrapped a note that said, "Welcome to the world of AIDS." Luckily he was only a few blocks from the hospital - the one where that little boy who is dying of cancer is, the one whose last wish is for everyone in the world to send him an e-mail and the American Cancer Society has agreed to pay him a nickel for every e-mail he receives.

I sent him two e-mails and one of them was a bunch of x's and o's in the shape of an angel (if you get it and forward it to more than 10 people, you will have good luck but for 10 people only you will only have OK luck and if you send it to fewer than10 people you will have BAD LUCK FOR SEVEN YEARS).

So anyway the poor guy tried to drive himself to the hospital, but on the way he noticed another car driving without its lights on. To be helpful, he flashed his lights at him and was promptly shot as part of a gang initiation.

Send THIS to all the friends who send you their junk mail and you will receive 4 green M&Ms -- if you don't, the owner of Proctor and Gamble will report you to his Satanist friends and you will have more bad luck:

you will get sick from the Sodium Laureth Sulfate in your shampoo, your spouse/mate will develop a skin rash from using the antiperspirant which clogs the pores under your arms, and the U.S. government will put a tax on your e-mails forever.

I know this is all true 'cause I read it on the Internet.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

McDonalds, Chuck E. Cheese and Discovery Zone...

Someone sent me this email this morning and I thought it worth sharing with all of you. I don't know how true it is but I definitely think its worth reading

Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews,
grandchildren or friends with children. This will pertain to you too. As
I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of you to
pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress how important
this is! This is very disturb! ing news. In addition to the following true
story, I will also add that my own sons were playing in the ball pit at
Chuckee Cheese one day. One son lost his watch, and was very upset. We
dug and dug in those balls, trying to find the watch. Instead, we found
vomit, food, feces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss. I went to
the manager and raised h*ll . Come to find out, the ball pit is only
cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done that often.
My kids will never play in another ball pit.

Now read this:

Hi, My name is Lauren Archer my son is Kevin . On October 2,2002 I took
my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday. After he finished lunch,
I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started crying later,I
asked him what was wrong. He pointed to his back and said, Mommy,it
hurts. I looked, but couldn't find anything wrong with him at the time.
I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point that! I found a
welt on his left buttock. Upon investigation, I t seemed as if there was
a splinter under the welt. I made a doctor appointment for the next day
to have it removed. In the meantime, he started vomiting and shaking.
Then, his eyes rolled back in his head. We immediately went to the
emergency room! My only son died later that night. It turned out that
the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had
broken off in his skin. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a
heroine overdose. The next day, the police removed the balls from the
ball pit and found rotten food, half-eaten candy, diapers,feces, the
stench of urine, and several hypo-dermic needles.
Old 03-25-2004, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Some clarification

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/archer.htm
Old 03-26-2004, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: McDonalds, Chuck E. Cheese and Discovery Zone...

Granted this is a hoax, but seriously though, I have oftened wondered how often do they clean those ball pits? Given all the germs and crap that little kids carry who knows what's lurking in there. I do not let my nephew play in that mess.

Hmmm, sounds like story for Dateline NBC.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: McDonalds, Chuck E. Cheese and Discovery Zone...

Quote:
Originally posted by Honeykiss1974
Granted this is a hoax, but seriously though, I have oftened wondered how often do they clean those ball pits? Given all the germs and crap that little kids carry who knows what's lurking in there. I do not let my nephew play in that mess.

Hmmm, sounds like story for Dateline NBC.
Close - TV-4 in Los Angeles did a report on safety and cleanliness in these toy pits. Some did have legitimate health and safety problems.

http://www.nbc4.tv/tuesdayarchive/2661921/detail.html

--add
Old 03-27-2004, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Voting Rights Act & African Americans...and other urban/internet legends

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst
**steps on soapbox**

Y'all, I am SICK and TIRED of receiving e-mails from supposedly college educated people that our right to vote will expire in 2007. THAT IS NOT TRUE!!.

Our right to vote is guaranteed by the 15th Amendment to the Constiution and can only be changed by another Amendment, an act of Congress. Yes, the Voting Rights Act is set to expire in 4 years BUT it's expiration has no bearing on that Amendment.

I need us to do better. I need us to think before we forward e-mails and do a little research if something doesn't sound right. It takes all of 5 minutes, if that long, to find out what is and is not right.

Everyone, please pass the TRUTH on to as many African Americans, heck as many PEOPLE as possible.

**stepping down**
Sad to say..but I think folx sometimes find it easy to believe in urban legends...especially those that purport "the man" is out to get us...
Old 03-27-2004, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I hate getting those emails. It drives me crazy that I respond everytime telling the sender that it's a hoax and a recipient will send the exact same email a few weeks later.