GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,736
0 members and 1,736 guests
No Members online

Old 10-21-2012, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Also from Panther Prints, the 1981 issue:

Back In The Day some chapters used the rainbow as an unofficial symbol, standing for unity. (I believe our Epsilon chapter still calls its polish week Rainbow Week.)

Last edited by WhiteRose1912; 10-21-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
KR: the HAIR. the HAIR! I somehow have gone my entire life with no perm, ever. Yikes.
In 25 years I'm sure girls will be looking at my pledge class pics thinking "That hair! Why do they all have it straight and flat like that?!"
Old 10-22-2012, 02:00 PM

About the pictures from the 1987 Pitt yearbook: I really don't remember everyone's hair being that big! Isn't that weird? Maybe I was just so used to it at the time that it never registered with me that everyone's hair was not only a structural marval, but a fire hazard as well from all the Aquanet sprayed in it!

I was especially surprised when I looked at the picture of the TriDelts. In my mind, when I think back to the old days, I remember most of the TriDelts having short, brown bobs. Very preppy. I don't recognize the girls in that picture; maybe they were hired "big haired models" or something???
Old 10-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Do I recognize one of the KDs?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I recall thinking that a sister's hair was indeed TOO big if her hairstyle did not fit within the oval shaped opening on the mat of the big framed composite pic.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Were the chapters that disparate in size at the time, or did some of them just choose to include more members in the yearbook photo?
Some of these pictures from the Pitt yearbook look like they may have been cut in half. Which can be common with "on-line" copies.

However, I have seen yearbooks where the picture of a GLO (or a club) was "split" in two. They would put one half of the group on one page, and the other half on the facing page. I think this was done so that the “middle crease” would not go through the shot.

When I was at Kentucky, it wasn’t unusual to have only around half or two-thirds of a chapter (or other groups for that matter) in the group's yearbook picture. I recall a few times, chapters of 60 plus might only have something like 10 members total in their shot.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low C Sharp View Post
Were the chapters that disparate in size at the time, or did some of them just choose to include more members in the yearbook photo?
That happened all of the time. I remember when there was a violently anti-greek editor of the yearbook, and he did his best to look like there were no more than 12-15 pictures in ANY sorority. He even left out a few, just for kicks.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
That happened all of the time. I remember when there was a violently anti-greek editor of the yearbook, and he did his best to look like there were no more than 12-15 pictures in ANY sorority. He even left out a few, just for kicks.
Honeychile is right; the Pitt literary community really seemed as a whole to dislike the greeks. When I was a copy editor at the Pitt News, I rarely mentioned my affiliation because I got teased about it. Funny though, how my being greek wasn't a drawback when I was out at the bars with the rest of the editorial staff and they wanted introductions to my hot sisters

Low C Sharp, if I recall, there was a large discrepancy between chapter sizes. Ceiling was 55 at the time and only three or four groups were that big (lol, I know that would be pretty pathetic even for a pledge class in the SEC!). Some groups had membership numbers in the teens. However, the number of women in the group photos doesn't reflect the numbers in the chapters.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Members of Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity [Omega Chapter - Kentucky] play with their mascot dog. Photo circa 1959.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Kentucky Panhellenic circa 1974.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Members of a band play at an unknown Kentucky sorority. Photo circa 1969.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Phi Kappa Tau members throw snowballs and play in the snow on UK's campus. Photo circa 1968.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Kentucky sorority members run from "Sorority Row" toward Rose Street to meet their new pledges. Photo circa 1972.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM

University of Pittsburgh circa 1987 or 88. Yes, I'm in these. No, I'm not pointing myself out

Old 02-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I recall thinking that a sister's hair was indeed TOO big if her hairstyle did not fit within the oval shaped opening on the mat of the big framed composite pic.
One of our sisters (who was also a licensed beautician) literally had her head shrunk in my senior year composite because her hair was so big and it was the only way to get the whole thing in.

KR - did the photographer/you guys try out pink or green drapes, or was that not even a possibility? We had deep red ones.