GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,575
0 members and 2,575 guests
No Members online

Old 02-09-2000, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Post Definition of Hazing?

The way that I understand hazing is obviously different than other people. If we declare a exact definition, than we can discuss the issue. I believe that this needs to be done because we are really not getting anywhere in our "Anti-Hazing" discussions.

The definition of hazing that was explained to me by my sorority:

"Any act that is forced upon a "pledge"(against their will) that is unwanted, emotionally or physically damaging, or impairs their ability to make logical/realistic/appropriate/important decisions."

That is the definition as it was explained to me.

Any others out there?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-04-2000, 08:47 AM
GreekChat Member

That's a good definition. I heard a more "light hearted" approach a few weeks ago:
Anything that you would not want to invite your Dean of Students to be a part of.
or
Anything that you would not take a picture of a New Member doing and send to their parents.
Old 03-04-2000, 10:14 AM
Artimis

Hazing is not limited to just pledges. But, mgdzkm433, your definition is a good.

I've always seen hazing as putting a sister in an emotionally or physical damaging situation. And I've always found that a good lithmus test was: 1. Would I truely object to someone doing this to me? 2. Will the sister object? 3. Would I object to a non-sister to do this to them? 4. Would I object to a biological sibling doing the task? -- Normally If you answer yes to any one of those questions even if it is just a tinge of a hesitant no, not following thorugh with the action is a good idea.

Why pledges feel the brunt of hazing is mostly because of the attitude that they are not a "real" brother/sister yet and they have to prove thier worth. We can teach risk managment till we're blue in the face, but until we can change that attitude we are fighting an uphill battle.

Artimis

------------------
Beta Chapter Alumna and Founder
Alpha Sigma Kappa - Women in Technical Studies
http://alpha-sigma-kappa.ou.edu/
Old 04-25-2000, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

The definition that I understand was given to me in laymen's terms.....
Supposedly, the "pledges" look up to you, b/c you have something that they want, and would therefore do ANYTHING to achieve it. This makes them vulnerable to anything whether it be as simple as running an errand, or as degrating as running naked around campus.
But back to my point, "hazing"(which i am for, but thats another topic)is considered (at least where I am)by most all related officials as ANYTHING a pledge does...again, be as simple as a favor..ie..driving a drunk active home, running to the store to pick up some food, even dressing up on certain days at the request of the actives...
I am a firm believer in hazing, I as well as almost every other fraternity member have personally endured some form, and if youre reading this, youre still alive. The laws restricting it should be looked at and in some cases revised. I know that there is someone out there who'll read this and agree that the things we as greek members endured to become such, as embarrassing as they may be were memorable. To all the "pledges" who read this, pledgeship can be described as "bittersweet", its something you will remember the rest of your life and laugh about the day you go active. To coin a phrase that my "bigbrother" said to me...."It's the funnest thing you never want to do again."

------------------
Old 04-26-2000, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the reason is because:

1) It isn't something a person would do typically
2) Peer Pressure
3) Wanting to be accepted, but don't know how to say no
4) Feeling they "have" to do it, and if they don't something "bad" will happen to them
5) Walking away is a lot harder than not
6) Feels there is no way out
7) Don't want to be considered a "wuss"
8) Don't want to be given a bad reputation
9) Don'r realize what is going on
10) Absolute Force
Old 04-27-2000, 12:24 AM
dirtyharry

Angry

I THINK THE 1ST DEFINITION IS THE MOST ACCURATE. HOWEVER, IF WE ARE TO USE THAT DEFINITION, THEN HOW CAN GREEKS BE TOTALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR A "PLEDGE" THAT HAS BEEN "HAZED"? IF A PLEDGE REALLY DOESN'T WANT TO PARTICIPATE IN ACTIVITY WHERE HAZING OCCURS, I'VE NEVER SEEN WHERE A BB OR BS MAKES THEM PHYSICALLY DO SOMETHING. THEY ARE JUST AS GUILTY FOR PARTICIPATING IN MY OPINION.