GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 305,536
Threads: 114,513
Posts: 2,155,386
Welcome to our newest member, jdlkrp
» Online Users: 281
0 members and 281 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-21-2008, 09:48 PM
texasgirl28 texasgirl28 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
Ohio State Recruitment

Can anyone give me any insight on how competitive rush is at OSU? And on how much of a presence greek life has on campus? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:01 PM
Elephant Walk Elephant Walk is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Occupied Territory CSA
Posts: 2,238
Don't go to a Yankee school!
__________________
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance it happens very far away way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:29 PM
sceniczip sceniczip is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Posts: 1,832
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
yay OSU! I actually go to Akron, about two hours north and a little east but my boyfriend goes to OSU and is in a fraternity there. I know they have quite a few sororities and I think house total is around 100 but other than that I'm not really sure. They have deferred recruitment so it starts during their winter quarter. I'm not sure how competitive it is. I'm just really excited to see an OSU/ohio related thread!
__________________
For hope, for strength, for life-Delta Gamma
No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle-Winston Churchill
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:34 PM
violetpretty violetpretty is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: A state with a North-South identity crisis
Posts: 3,213
Ohio State, from what I've heard, only allows chapters to take as many members as they need to get to 100, instead of a traditional quota system. This could make for a competitive recruitment if there are more than the usual number of women going through. We have several Buckeyes on GC. I'm sure Benzgirl can add to this.
__________________
Sigma Kappa
~*~ Beta Zeta ~*~
MARYLAND
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2008, 11:44 PM
KSUViolet06 KSUViolet06 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,841
Here's the OSU Panhellenic website with all of the current info about recruitment dates/registration and such:

http://osugreeks.com/pha/recruitment.html

For the size of the school, recruitment (from what I know) isn't as competitive as one might think. It's not a Texas, Bama, or LSU at all. They also have a strict 100 member limit, which keeps the chapters at a certain size. As far as I know, it's not a school where every girl has 2-3 recommendations either.

__________________
"Remember that apathy has no place in our Sorority." - Kelly Jo Karnes, Pi

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-21-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,989
OSU is not competitive -- Sophomores regularly get bids and Juniors can get bids to most housrs. While recs are nice, they are by no means required. Recruitment is deferred to winter quarter, but most chapters do spring COB. Fall recruitment is limited to upperclassmen, except for the Meet The Greeks and House Tours. The others are correct...chapter total is 100, quota for formal recruitment is 25.

Ohio State is a great school, but don't expect to have a huge Greek presence. Even though there are a bazillion Greek Chapters, with over 50,000 students the presence is less than 5%. There is so much to do in Columbus that you don't need Greek Life to have a fulfilling social and philanthropic life.

My niece is a Junior, and is involved in so many clubs and honoraries. She was never interested in going Greek because it wasn't her thing.

On this board, there are at least one Tri Delt, AGD and AOPi, but they don't post that often. I attended in the early 80s and am remotely connected.
__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-22-2008, 08:40 PM
millae millae is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
I went to Ohio State and belonged to a sorority. I am happy to share my experience with you and go deeper into the rush process and sorority specifics if you'd like. I graduated a few years ago, but I believe many things are the same. Just send a pm if you want to chat.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-26-2008, 01:37 PM
BuckeyeTriDelta BuckeyeTriDelta is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: O-HI-O
Posts: 603
Benzgirl hit the nail on the head with her information. Good luck and have fun!
__________________
Delta Delta Delta
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM
texasgirl28 texasgirl28 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2
thanks so much everyone!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 15,122
does anyone know the reasoning behind holding the chapters to 100 members only?
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
does anyone know the reasoning behind holding the chapters to 100 members only?
Actually, 25/100 is not really true. It just hasn't changed for a long time, so that is what everyone says it is.

Several schools in Ohio have a "campus total" and it was always based on historical data of panhellenic recruitment results, as well as what has been going on in the Greek Community over the past 3 - 5 years. It was originally designed as a way of ensuring no one chapter/ or group of chapters was dominant.

When I was at The OSU, Campus Total was 105 with nearly all but 2 or 3 chapters out of 18 reaching quota and campus total. I can't remember what quota was, but my pledge class was 36. Now, Panhellenic is not having such good luck; less than half of the 14 chapter are reaching the quota and limits.

Clarification on quota. It is, "A pre-determined quota of 25 or the number of vacancies to fill to campus total (whichever is lower shall be allowed during Formal Recruitment)." Quota and Total can be amended by a 3/4 vote by the Panhellenic Association.

__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:08 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Actually, 25/100 is not really true. It just hasn't changed for a long time, so that is what everyone says it is.

Several schools in Ohio have a "campus total" and it was always based on historical data of panhellenic recruitment results, as well as what has been going on in the Greek Community over the past 3 - 5 years. It was originally designed as a way of ensuring no one chapter/ or group of chapters was dominant.

When I was at The OSU, Campus Total was 105 with nearly all but 2 or 3 chapters out of 18 reaching quota and campus total. I can't remember what quota was, but my pledge class was 36. Now, Panhellenic is not having such good luck; less than half of the 14 chapter are reaching the quota and limits.

Clarification on quota. It is, "A pre-determined quota of 25 or the number of vacancies to fill to campus total (whichever is lower shall be allowed during Formal Recruitment)." Quota and Total can be amended by a 3/4 vote by the Panhellenic Association.

There are a lot of things about this system that appeal to me.

Since they are having trouble with the current goals, why do you think they aren't lowering total? Do you think lowering total would encourage more groups to reach total or would fewer girls pledge?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
There are a lot of things about this system that appeal to me.

Since they are having trouble with the current goals, why do you think they aren't lowering total? Do you think lowering total would encourage more groups to reach total or would fewer girls pledge?
In order for many of the houses to be financially sound, they need to fill the house. For example, when I was in school total was 105 and 56 had to live in the house. Once you backed out the pledges, girls studying abroad or on coops, and in-town girls, if your lowered quota a chapter couldn't fill the house and could go under.

Also, so many girls suicided in the past few years and went bidless. I can't remember how many this happened to last year, but it was unbelievably high. One of the "strongest" chapters (ABC) only took around 14 (gasp!) new members, but then snapped enough for total.

I'm not really involved in the campus panhellenic to know why the suiciding occured. Forever, there were two chapters (ABC and XYZ) that always fought over the same girls (waaay back to when I was in school). From what I was told, last year many of the girls that attended both parties did suicide XYZ, and also preffed ABC. And a only a rumor too, XYZ dirty rushed.

I know of at least one long time chapter that was very strong when I was in school has been struggling for a while because of a Probation. One active in a fraternity told me it was for a "kegger" (I'm sure at least some of it was true because why would he lie to me?)
__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM
UGAalum94 UGAalum94 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta area
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
In order for many of the houses to be financially sound, they need to fill the house. For example, when I was in school total was 105 and 56 had to live in the house. Once you backed out the pledges, girls studying abroad or on coops, and in-town girls, if your lowered quota a chapter couldn't fill the house and could go under.

Also, so many girls suicided in the past few years and went bidless. I can't remember how many this happened to last year, but it was unbelievably high. One of the "strongest" chapters (ABC) only took around 14 (gasp!) new members, but then snapped enough for total.

I'm not really involved in the campus panhellenic to know why the suiciding occured. Forever, there were two chapters (ABC and XYZ) that always fought over the same girls (waaay back to when I was in school). From what I was told, last year many of the girls that attended both parties did suicide XYZ, and also preffed ABC. And a only a rumor too, XYZ dirty rushed.

I know of at least one long time chapter that was very strong when I was in school has been struggling for a while because of a Probation. One active in a fraternity told me it was for a "kegger" (I'm sure at least some of it was true because why would he lie to me?)
I always forget about the expenses for houses. How do fraternities do it? They often seem to stay solvent with lower numbers. Maybe their standards for housing are just that much lower.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 6,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
I always forget about the expenses for houses. How do fraternities do it? They often seem to stay solvent with lower numbers. Maybe their standards for housing are just that much lower.
We have a winner!
ETA: Many of the Fraternities at OSU do not hold very many resisdents, so they don't need to pledge as many.
__________________
BOLD is not a verb and BOLDED is not a word!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio State University Recruitment Benzgirl Sorority Recruitment 8 11-18-2007 02:25 PM
Ohio State KDS trojangal Kappa Delta 0 07-17-2005 03:34 PM
Ohio State Recruitment SnowLady Recruitment 13 01-28-2005 04:49 PM
Ohio State Recruitment!! KDBuckeye Kappa Delta 0 01-25-2005 11:02 PM
Ohio State Recruitment? MoxieGrrl Recruitment 5 10-25-2002 01:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.