GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,176
1 members and 1,175 guests
No Members online

Old 08-16-2000, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink What is pledging?

Thanks for answering, I'm new to this whole Greek process!!
Old 08-16-2000, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, what is wood? I was just looking thru these past articles
Old 08-16-2000, 11:14 PM
Artimis

sammie,

Defining pledging isn't an easy task. Mostly because each person has their own perceptions of what pledge is and what it entails.

Pledging is/was essentially a time period when a new member is learning, dedicating, and proving loyalty to a specific organization. The word is essentially derived from the idea that when you wish to join a group you would "pledge" your loyalty and dedication.

Over the years pledging has unforunitly become synonimous with hazing. That many see in order to prove your loyaltiy you must endure some mindless physical or mental brutality for the sake of the organization. However, that isn't the case. In recent years GLO's have stepped up to the loyalties to its members and are attempting to remove the unsafe practices from its new member program.

Many GLO's have changed their new member programs. They've replaced terms like rush, pledging, pledge with recruitment, new member programs/education programs, new memeber/candidate. They have insituted Risk Managmenet policies to promote responsible membership and to denounce hazing. NPHC completely restructured their new membership program (now called MIP).

Most organizations will have certain requirments that a new memeber will have to complete during their education program. I can only speak for my sisterhood, but most programs include learned history, learned functionalitly, service work, academic maintance, and attendance and participation levels. You can check with specific chapters if you have questions about what might be required. I'm not sure what is privilaged info and what isn't.

And for you other question. "Wood" is reference of being hit (normally on the butt) with a wooden paddle. Most if not all Greek Organizations prohibit this action amongst memebers

hope this helps

jennifer