GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,082
1 members and 1,081 guests
Low D Flat
Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2002, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile Gamma Chi Membership Requirements....PAY ATTENTION!

Listen closely please, since there seems to be some confusion about membership.

[size=4.0]IN ORDER TO BECOME A MEMBER OF GAMMA CHI FOR THE NEXT NEW MEMBER CLASSES YOU MUST HAVE....

A) HAVE 50 OR MORE POST ON GREEK CHAT.

OR

B) HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF GREEKCHAT FOR 6 OR MORE MONTHS.

IN ADDITION TO...

C) MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION FILLED OUT COMPLETELY WITH SIGNATURE AT THE BOTTOM, WITH HONEST AND FULL ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS. IF NOT, IT MAY BE SENT BACK TO YOU ASKING FOR A LITTLE MORE DETAIL.

So you can have A&C...B&C...or A,B&C
[/size]

If your name is not on the current alpha list, PLEASE wait until the rush for Beta class has began.
Those currently on committees and/or Big/Lil will be able to participate in the Alpha Ceremony.The requirements had to be fulfilled by these members to, but in some cases were waived because of time put into helping to start Gamma Chi. And membership is looking into a Probation period for EVERYONE.

JUST BECAUSE YOU DIDNT GET A CHANCE OT BE ON A COMMITTEE OR DID NOT HAVE THE TIME TO SIGN UP FOR ONE DOES NOT MEAN THAT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO JOIN GAMMA CHI. WE WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE THOSE WHO WORKED ON IT VERY HARD INITIATED FIRST FOR THEIR TIME AND EFFORT. AS NAVANE SAID THIS HAS BEEN GOING ON SINCE MARCH!

We understand that there might have been some confusion and that people may have thought that since they wrote a post stating that they liked the idea of Gamma Chi and showed interest this way, they would be in the first group of new members. However, we stated time and again that you MUST join a committee or Big/Lil to do this.

Committee members, please make take a look at the Alpha list and make sure that all of your members are listed. You have until 5/5 to do this after that its (no offense) S.O.L, because applications are due by 5/7.

** Potential Alpha's...Applications are due on 5/7** Please fill them out in their entirety, including signature.

Also details on Beta Rush will come out soon. Again please be patient and wait. We will also notify if any committee spots open.

We thank everyone, again, for their effort, interest, patience and time. We hope that no one is upset by this or takes it the wrong way because EVERYONE will have plenty of time to be a Gamma Chi.We are sorry if any false ideas were made. Just because you are not in Alpha doesn't make you anyless of a member. Remember....

"No Matter The Letter, We're All Greek Together"

Fratenally,
Gamma Chi Membership Committee

Last edited by GCMembership; 05-03-2002 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

What?

Well, I do not know a whole lot about this Gamma Chi thing, but I was very interested in finding out some more information about it and perhaps joining. But when I read this post that says membership will be declined if you havent been a member for six or more months, and made 50 posts? That seems a little unfair to me. Why are you excluding people like that? I do not have a problem with limiting membership to the ALPHA class only to those who have worked exceedingly hard to make Gamma Chi, well, Gamma Chi, but after the Alpha class? I have not been signed up to this page for more than a month or so, and I have probably made less than ten posts, but I still wanted to at least CONSIDER being a part of Gamma Chi, and I thought that I could be a good contributing member in the future. Now you are telling me that I cannot be a member until I have posted a certain number of times, and I have been loging on to this page for a certain amount of time? Please tell me there is a good reason for this, because otherwise, this just seems like another way to try to exclude pepole. Of course, if I am wrong in any way, I have NO PROBLEM admitting that, and apologizing. I did, however, get the impression that Gamma Chi was to be used to embrace diversity, and therefore, it seems logical that Gamma Chi would open up its membership to everyone, (besides those who make blatant sabatoges of the pages and posts). This is why I would like an explaination for these seemingly excluding rules. Please, someone clarify.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

It's six months OR 50 posts, I think, not both. But it makes sense to me. Someone could show up once, claim to be something, and disappear. If you've been around a while, people know who you are to some extent, whether you're a troublmaker. If you've been around for less, well, just post frequently and you'll be up to 50 in no time, and people will have some idea who you are.

After all, it's not like we can just throw some dogs on the barbie, crank up the music, and have a rush party down at the Gamma Chi house! Posting is the only way to get to know someone.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Then why, in the very first post about Gamma Chi (An Idea) does it state:
"Who is eligible for membership: Any registered Greekchatter who is interested in furthering Greek communication. Membership in another Greek org is NOT required. Members may have dual membership in Gamma Chi and any NPC/NPHC/IFC, local, honorary, professional, or service org."
I'm sure there is mroe than one person who fits those guidelines, but does not meet the requirements later enforced.
I am not saying that everyone should be initiated RIGHT away, or even in the first or second class, but shouldn't there be some sort of exception for people like me, who haven't, in hte few posts that they actually post, ever written something negative towards greeks, who OBVIOUSLY arent out to cause trouble? The whole reason for having Gamma Chi in the first place is to promote greek life, education, etc, and as a person who is NOT a member of a GLO, but would LIKE to be if I knew more about them, I think something like Gamma Chi would be very beneficial. I am not trying to cause a ruckus or anything, but isn't there some OTHER way they can screen potential members that don't qualify under the normal requirements, such as an essay, or possibly check out the posts or something that they have written (there can't be that many if they are under fifty). When I first saw this idea a week ago, I was SO excited to potentially become part of possibly one of the greatest things for greeks and nongreeks everywhere. Now, I am just sad, and very hurt to be excluded, and not allowed to participate, just because I have not posted very many times.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Because the very first post was just the first proposal! How many ideas are carried out without some change to them?

You are not being denied membership to Gamma Chi. All the rules say is, maybe you can't be in the first class.

It's like being a high school senior. No, you can't join a GLO - yet. It doesn't mean the sororities/fraternities won't want you WHEN YOU ARE ELIGIBLE.
Old 05-03-2002, 07:31 PM
UMgirl

As FuzzieAlum so brillantly stated, the unedited post was an Oopsie, I guess. It was wrong of me to assume that people would know that A) and B) were either/or things and I should have made it more clear.

*Now thats its editied its clear*

We thought this decison would be fair because as stated in another post, we have many people who dont post very often, but have been on Greek Chat for a long time. And we also had people who have a ton of post but just became members.

No one is going to be excluded from Gamma Chi. It still is open to all members. However, like many things in the world, its just a matter of when you can get in. Everything has requirements.If you dont have a 2.5, you can't get into certain orgs at that moment. But if the next semester you get a 3.0, they can't deny you then. Its the same for GX.
And in all honesty, it doesnt take much to get 50 post. For example, if someone did one post everyday for 2 mos. they would be eligible for Gamma Chi. Even if you didnt post everyday you could surely make it.
Point is..., and if this sounds harsh I really don't mean for it to be but it just seems like people are becoming a tad bit overdramatic..., if we made exceptions for one person, we would have to do it for everyone. Somethings just might not be fair to a degree, but thats how life goes. It's not going to kill ANYONE to wait 2 months or so to get the 50 post or 6 months requirement. You'll still be a Gamma Chi just like everyone else. If people would like I am willing to skip the alpha new member ceremony and I'll wait for the Beta new member ceremony. People just settle down and relax. Everyone will get their turn.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Shouldn't it be Recruitment?
Old 05-03-2002, 11:04 PM
UMgirl

Leslie Anne-- Just type your name in at the bottom with the date

Dzsaigirl-- That's right... Beta Recruitment
Old 05-04-2002, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by UMgirl
Leslie Anne-- Just type your name in at the bottom with the date
Does this mean your full name, or your first name and/or GreekChat username? At the top of the form, you say that name is optional...
Old 05-04-2002, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to canadajen
Question help! need an application

umm ... a quick question ... I am on the alpha list but I do not have an application form to fill out - how can I get one?

Right now I am travelling for the next month, so I will only be able to access the net briefly each day.

Thanx for all your hard work Gamma Chi committees

GLAM,
Jen - alumna
Alpha Gamma Delta
Old 05-05-2002, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Hey, I may have missed it . . . but isn't one of the requirements that you be Greek?

After all, isn't Gamma Chi's purpose to foster Greek ideals and Greek life around the world?

And if so wouldn't it make sense that in order to foster Greek Life, you would have to have experienced it?

Not just read or watched movies about it?

In fact, wouldn't it be ludicrous to have non-Greeks spreading Greek Life?

Kind of like sending out non-Christians to convert people to Christianity?

Sorry but would someone please clarify about this membership requirement?

Thanks,

James
Old 05-05-2002, 02:48 AM

Good points James. Plus all of these gammachi topics should be in their own glo forum (despite not being an org yet)instead of having 2193 threads in the greeklife forum.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Also, would whoever posts under this name, please sign their actual name so the rest of us can respond directly. . . otherwise someone needs to introduce us formally to Mr./Ms. Gamma Chi Membership Committee.

Thanks!

Quote:
Fraternally,
Gamma Chi Membership Committee
Old 05-05-2002, 02:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Although, actually, they should move all their posts to Chit Chat . .. which is where this topic should be based.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ex greek
Good points James. Plus all of these gammachi topics should be in their own glo forum (despite not being an org yet)instead of having 2193 threads in the greeklife forum.
Old 05-05-2002, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Although, actually, they should move all their posts to Chit Chat . .. which is where this topic should be based.

Or maybe the "locals" forum
Closed Thread