GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,350
1 members and 1,349 guests
John

Old 04-02-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy worried

Hey everyone, I am really interested in trying to get into Kappa Kappa Gamma, thing is i'm shy. Normally how picky are most chapters for their spring rush? I just don't want to go and make a total idiot out of myself. I might get fired from my job for requesting off this week for rush, so if I don't get in I'm going to be really upset. Sorry for rambling, I just don't know what to expect. Thanks

Stephanie
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2002, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Tough question

Hi Stephanie:

Thanks for your interest in Kappa Kappa Gamma!

First things first: what school do you attend? (Or, if you aren't comfortable revealing that information, what area of the country do you live in, how big is your school, and how many other sororities are on your campus?) I only ask these questions because Recruitment (formerly known as Rush) is very different in different settings, and the answers to these questions will give me (and other readers of this post) a place to start when giving you advice.

You asked "how picky" KKG chapters are during Spring Recruitment. The answer? Kappa (like all NPC sororites) believes in holding high standards of membership, in order to foster bonds that will last a lifetime.

In particular, Kappa promotes, through its standards, a broad college experience. Scholarship or intellectual development is our first priority. So you will want to be sure that you at least meet the minimum GPA requirements for the Kappa chapter on your campus (likely a 2.5 or above if you are a freshman)

Cultural growth is important as well. What kinds of activities are you involved in? This does not mean you need to be President of this or Chairperson of that. Instead, just be sure to show that you take an interest in certain causes, events, whatever, and that you support that interest through your actions (volunteering, job, clubs, teams, whatever).

Kappa standards also include an expectation of high personal ethics. Do you consider yourself loyal? Caring? Do you make ethical and helpful contributions (not monetary, but of your time and your spirit) to organizations and causes you believe in?

So, yes: we are picky. But that does NOT (in any way) mean that someone who is shy can't be a member. If you will reread the standards I have outlined above (plus those discussed on our national website, www.kappa.org)
you will note that our standards don't preclude "shyness"!!!

Even still, I know it can be hard for Prospective New Members (formerly known as Rushees) who are shy to have successful Recruitment experiences. My college roommate was a case-in-point, even though she was an amazing, stellar girl.

What you must keep in mind is this: At some point in your life--whether it be on a job interview, a media interview, a public presenation, whatever--you are going to need to begin to overcome your tendency toward shyness. Think of Recruitment as your first lesson in leaving your shyness behind you. This doesn't mean you have to bounce off the walls, but it does mean that you have to show that you are genuinely interested and enthusiastic about the possiblity of pledging your name and interest to a chapter of a sorority as a lifelong member.

Also, I want to point out two things:

First: just because you go through Recruitment--no matter how cute, popular, and un-shy a Prospective New Member may be--does not mean she will get a bid. Some Recruitments are more competitive than others, but this is a general rule. If you can't stand the thought that it might not work out, I would suggest you rethink going through Recruitment.

Secondly: Although I am flattered by your interest in KKG, I sincerely hope you will consider/are actively considering other sororites that may have chapters on your campus. If you do decide to go through Recruitment, keep your mind open to ALL of the choices...you never know where your heart may lead you.

Stephanie, I hope this post is somewhat helpful...and I look forward to your replies so that we can help you have the most successful recruitment possible!

Panhellenically,
imsohappythatiama

Last edited by imsohappythatiama; 04-02-2002 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down irritated now

well, before I was worried, but now i'm kinda ticked. I went through rush and everything was cool. The people actually acted like they really liked me and even four or five told me that i had nothing to worry about and that i would defintely get in. But last night i got the call saying that I couldn't get a bid, no reason was given. It wasnt my grades because i have at least a 3.0, I guess I'm just not good enough as a person. Sorry, i'm just confused and venting. thanks
Old 04-05-2002, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it's against NPC rules for any sister to say "you will get in" or "don't worry, you have a bid." So you do have a reason to be upset ... however, as Imsohappy said, did you rush anywhere else or just Kappa? Putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, is always risky.

On the other hand, no sorority will ever tell you why you didn't get a bid (unless perhaps it's grades, and then if they really want you they will suggest you get them up and rush again). It doesn't mean you're not good enough as a person - there could be any number of reasons, and that's a fast conclusion to jump to.