GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,522
Threads: 115,514
Welcome to our newest member, Flexiblehxo
» Online Users: 748
2 members and 746 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-12-2010, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Plus size preference dresses

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this site for months, trying to learn all I can, but just registered today as I have a question. I'm rushing a school in New England next month, which I don't believe is very competitive. I'm a bigger girl, and I've done my best to lose as much weight as I can so that I'll look my best for recruitment. I know it's not all about looks, but I also know from real life that my weight does matter at times to some people, so I'm doing the best I can. Anyway, can you let me know what you think of these dresses for pref? I've seen other girls post cute dresses but they don't come in my size. :-(

I was leaning towards the first one with some bold colored shoes and acessories...

Last edited by NewEnglandPNM; 08-12-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Trying to fix pictures
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

The lane bryant ones only take you to the home page.
the last one doesnt look dressy enough to me but I can't say for sure.

to post the pics right click the picture, copy image address and post in here using the picture icon (mountains & yellow)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Ooops. Sorry. I think I fixed it.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I like the 1st and 2nd ones, and I do want to compliment the fact that you understand that a plus sized dress should have a top, a middle, and a bottom, therefore making the waist (or actually slightly above) the smallest part of the dress. Some plus sized women don't get that a mumu has the opposite effect. Good choices! It's all about knowing how to dress the body you have.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the first one with the bold accessories like you said is the best choice for pref, because it will be the easiest to dress up. Also, it's cute. Target is a really good place to find cute shoes and accessories in one stop...that's where I usually go for both shoes and jewelry these days.

If you pick heels bring some flip flops to walk in between houses.

Re: weight...make sure you're being healthy while losing weight...recruitment is NOT worth making yourself sick or developing unhealthy habits. (And I don't mean to assume that you're doing anything extreme, just throwing it out there.)

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 08-12-2010, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

From The Avenue site, I found a few that I like:

(It's denim, so not right for pref, but cute)
-----------------------------------

(Love the shoes and style of necklace she's wearing with it!)

(Pref - Wear a thin tank to avoid major cleavage)

(Pref - add some silver or gold heels with a cuff bracelet)
----------------------------------

(If you're into patterns. This is very slimming because of the vertical stripes and a great color!)

Old 08-12-2010, 11:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I really like the first one you posted. I think it would be awesome with some red shoes! I also like the second one ree-xi posted
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw the dresses ree-Xi posted and couldn't resist going to the same site...to me, these dresses would also be appropriate for pref:

This one with accessories and shoes similar to what the model is wearing would be really cute.

I LOVE this one, but you'd have to pick the right accessories to make it work for pref. I think nude shoes like these:

and some gold jewelry would dress it up enough.

And this is my favorite:

You could wear nude or black shoes with it and pearl or diamond earrings...that would look super classy.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandPNM View Post
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this site for months, trying to learn all I can, but just registered today as I have a question. I'm rushing a school in New England next month, which I don't believe is very competitive. I'm a bigger girl, and I've done my best to lose as much weight as I can so that I'll look my best for recruitment. I know it's not all about looks, but I also know from real life that my weight does matter at times to some people, so I'm doing the best I can. Anyway, can you let me know what you think of these dresses for pref? I've seen other girls post cute dresses but they don't come in my size. :-(

I was leaning towards the first one with some bold colored shoes and acessories...
I like all of these. Good luck to you.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Also these (this time from Lane Bryant):

This is similar to the dress you picked, so like you said bold accessories and/or bright shoes would be perfect.

This one is similar to the paisley dress I posted in that you'd need the right accessories to make it appropriate. The shoes the model is wearing are probably the best way to go (though you could get them in a color) and some simple but noticeable dangling pearl earrings or black glass/onyx chandelier earrings would make it dressy.

Groucho Marx
Old 08-12-2010, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandPNM View Post
I'm a bigger girl, and I've done my best to lose as much weight as I can so that I'll look my best for recruitment. I know it's not all about looks, but I also know from real life that my weight does matter at times to some people, so I'm doing the best I can. Anyway, can you let me know what you think of these dresses for pref? I've seen other girls post cute dresses but they don't come in my size.
I totally understand what you mean!! I'm a bigger girl myself because I have thyroid disease. Really tall, really big feet, big chest, big bones. You should be proud of yourself for losing weight!

This one is from Forever 21's plus size brand Faith 21. Can you believe it's only $25??

Also from Faith 21, also $25

Another good site is Torrid.com. They didn't have the copy image function so I'm posting links.

http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...ess-529849.jsp
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...int-520859.jsp
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...ess-566488.jsp
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...ess-539806.jsp
http://www.torrid.com/torrid/Clearan...ess-544868.jsp

If your style runs into the more vintage/indie looking type here are some more good options.

This one is from ModCloth

Also from ModCloth, goes up to size 3X

Modcloth, up to 3X

Modcloth, up to 3x

Macy's, up to 3x and in many colors

Another one from Macy's that I couldn't copy the image from. http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...tegoryID=51889

Sorry that this post is so long, but I sympathize with you and I just really wanted to help you and let you know that there are beautiful dresses out there for us bigger girls, it just takes some looking!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you!

Thanks for all of the advice and the suggestions for other dresses!! I love them all. :-) I'm going to have lots of fun shopping. And thank you for whoever suggested Target for shoes/accessories. I never think about Target!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't look good in yellow (light hair/skin) but I do LOVE this dress!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
Also these (this time from Lane Bryant):

This is similar to the dress you picked, so like you said bold accessories and/or bright shoes would be perfect.

This one is similar to the paisley dress I posted in that you'd need the right accessories to make it appropriate. The shoes the model is wearing are probably the best way to go (though you could get them in a color) and some simple but noticeable dangling pearl earrings or black glass/onyx chandelier earrings would make it dressy.
Unless she's just barely plus, the waist is too low on that second dress. I do like it though.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Happy to help! Let me know if you need anything else :]