GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,013
2 members and 1,011 guests
Titchou, zabryashulze790

Old 03-22-2004, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

wow, I created a monster.

Purple and orange tigers, huh? The SEC has purple and gold tigers, and their tigers won the National Championship (tied, since someone will think I wasn't fair). I will say the Big 10 is big, but there is so much population up there how could it not be? The SEC has set the record for over 20 years for best football attendance of any conference, and the Big 10 has Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State (all stadiums which can seat over 100,000 if I'm not mistaken). The only stadium in the SEC I know of which can seat over 100,000 is Tennessee. To top that, there's probably more people who go to Big 10 schools than SEC schools, cause Minnesota and Ohio State are close to 100,000 people on their own. Sure Florida and Georgia are big, but overall I'd say there are more people in the Big ten than in the SEC.

SEC football is unlike any other football, period. It's unlike the ACC, the PAC-10, the big 12 (go Mizzou), and unlike the Big 10. I knew a LSU fan who was insane with pride. He never didn't have some purple and gold on his clothes at some point in time. He would rattle on about the earthquake bowl and any other game that happened over the last 20 years. It was amazing, he was hands down the biggest football fan I have EVER seen. To tope it off, the guy was in his 50s. And I soon found out this isn't just LSU, this is the SEC.

Anyway, much love to all conferences, even the Missouri Valley conference to which my beloved Bears belong (who beat So. Illinois in the tourney). But to compare yourself to the SEC is like comparing your weather to Hawaii. There may be days which your weather is better, but you can't beat them day in and day out.

SMSUBear

P.S. Do Auburn and Alabama really hate eachother as much as it's said? I know there's no love on game day, but just as far as the campuses are concerned.

edit: BTW, Michigan's fight song is not the best. The best is Mizzou's , followed by Tennessee (good ol' rocky top), and then Notre Dame (the only fight song my grandma would know). After that is Michigan, then UTEP (if you can't tell I love the old country music).

Last edited by SMSUBear; 03-22-2004 at 11:32 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-22-2004, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Quote:
Originally posted by SMSUBear
But to compare yourself to the SEC is like comparing your weather to Hawaii. There may be days which your weather is better, but you can't beat them day in and day out.

I think I love you.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna
Actually, Alabama has had more Academic All-Americans than any other school in the nation. I like to think we have it all.... we get ranked academically AND in the top party schools in the country! Of course, the legendary greek system speaks for itself. I'm not condoning the actions of "the machine," but where else does being involved in student government lead to becoming a US senator?

Wisconsin's ranked well above Bama in both academic AND party-school charts (U.S. news academics ranks us 32 to Bama's 99 and Princeton Review charts us 2nd to UA's 11 in partying). Illinois and Indiana both chart above Bama in partying and academics. Plus y'all can say what you want about "SEC football being like no other," but it's not an SEC school who was #1 in Sports Illustrated's Best College Sports Towns . . .

I'm afraid some of you might have Wisconsin beat when it comes to Greek systems though.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

P.S. Do Auburn and Alabama really hate eachother as much as it's said? I know there's no love on game day, but just as far as the campuses are concerned.

HECK YEAH!!! There is no rivalry like Auburn/Alabama!
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AUDeltaGam
HECK YEAH!!! There is no rivalry like Auburn/Alabama!
I'll give the Iron Bowl props for most deep-seeded hatred (so I've heard), but the second longest rivalry in all of college football is the Border War. Kansas and Mizzou have been battling it out longer than all except for one (Harvard and Yale). The hatred is deep, but IMO it doesn't get the same respect cause both teams aren't exactly juggernauts of football (until this year, Mizzou-RAH!)

How do you get a KU graduate off your front porch? Give up? You give him the tip for the pizza!!! HA HA HAAA!!!

SMSUBear
Old 03-22-2004, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
but it's not an SEC school who was #1 in Sports Illustrated's Best College Sports Towns . . .

I'm afraid some of you might have Wisconsin beat when it comes to Greek systems though.
Athens was 2nd....Knoxville was 8th, Baton Rouge was 12...Oxford was 17th....I think Gainsville might have been on that list too....but yeah none were #1, even though we had a lot on the list.

Speaking of Sports Illustrated on Campus...What was the #3 thing everyone had to do before they graduate?

I can't seem to remember

Oh yeah and I hear the weather's great in Wisconsin
Old 03-22-2004, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'll give the Iron Bowl props for most deep-seeded hatred (so I've heard), but the second longest rivalry in all of college football is the Border War. Kansas and Mizzou have been battling it out longer than all except for one (Harvard and Yale). The hatred is deep, but IMO it doesn't get the same respect cause both teams aren't exactly juggernauts of football (until this year, Mizzou-RAH!)

How do you get a KU graduate off your front porch? Give up? You give him the tip for the pizza!!! HA HA HAAA!!!

SMSUBear
But you can't forget the south's oldest rivalry...

Auburn/Georgia!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Actually, the BIG 10 rules

Quote:
Originally posted by hottytoddy
Cool. Academics ROCK! I bet their greek systems are cool too.

ooooh Crest toothpase!! I'm sure every state and every school has their claim to fame.

Best fight song? Who decided that one?

Never had Bear Bryant's record (though Paterno and Bowden did) and he was fired for having a temper tantrum. Oh, yes, and...HE'S DEAD.

Eli Manning also won some academic and athletic awards (Can't remember)...and Peyton graduated Cum Laude in 3 years.

Also...I agree that some of the schools in the Big Ten are excellent schools...but don't insult my school.

This has to be the funniest post I've read in days!!!! Much love goes to hottytoddy!!!!!
Old 03-23-2004, 06:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cluey Send a message via Yahoo to Cluey
Come now people...

At least we can all agree that UGA has the best mascot in the nation. Even friends of mine who are fans or alumni of other schools must admit that UGA is one cute dog. Afterall, he was the only mascot to ever have attended the Heisman Trophy Ceremony.

Here's a picture of the current UGA, UGA VI.

Last edited by Cluey; 03-23-2004 at 06:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cluey
Come now people...

At least we can all agree that UGA has the best mascot in the nation. Even friends of mine who are fans or alumni of other schools must admit that UGA is one cute dog. Afterall, he was the only mascot to ever have attended the Heisman Trophy Ceremony.

Here's a picture of the current UGA, UGA VI.

Actually, Cocky won best mascot in the nation. Cute puppy, though.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay no one has mentioned the best SEC yet... who has the best fans and most loyal fans... Who has the most SEC Championships... Who has the most NCAA Basketball National Championships... I mean come on people.... UK. Let us admit that UK should not have been the number one selection committee team but when it came down to who the favorite was... it was UK, just because we are UK.

Our fans travel worldwide to be at games... that is why we are known as the BIG BLUE NATION. That is also why at Sunday nights game, other teams fan's were cheering against UK.

As to the weather, I've been to 42 states and three countries, I've lived in 3 southern states and though I loved each state for something different...
Louisiana... the culture... Texas... the... (I'm drawing a blank, I'll figure something out...) and North Carolina... the green green beauty of the mountains.... But Kentucky is the best... we have mountains but not really over powering ones, we have the BLUEGRASS, we have all four seasons, that last just long enough to soak them all in and our summers aren't as hot as Texas and we get just enough snow to please me. We also have a saying... "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, it will change." Like it did on Saturday... I spent the morning working in the garden (70 degree's outside) and by Sunday it was snowing.

Okay... I'll stop rambling about my favority SEC state.

ETA: We also have the best Cheerleaders in the world... again dominating the championships both at the collegiate level and on the high school level.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Old 03-23-2004, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool

AH, you all speak of the THE BIG SCHOOL!

BUT, My Pittsburg State (Kansas) Gorilla Mascot was one of the top 10 Playboy Picks for Best Mascot!

Thank You For Allowing This Unpaid Announcement!

Please go on with the discussion!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-23-2004, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who has the most SEC Championships... Who has the most NCAA Basketball National Championships...
I know who has the most National Football Championships!

Roll Tide!

And, for the record, most Alabama and Auburn alums don't hate each other that much. In my experience, Auburn alums hate Georgia more than Alabama, and Alabama fans hate Tennessee more than Auburn.

I will say that I can't imagine having gone to Auburn... it's like a gigantic trailer park! But that's just my UA snobbery showing through. lol

Also, I didn't say that UA was ranked #1 in either academics or "partying" (the University brass has taken great pains to lower its "party" standings). Just that we make both lists. And that UA has more academic All-Americans than any other school.

I don't claim that the University of Alabama is all things to all people. It definitely isn't for everyone. But saying that Vandy is the "best" SEC school is crazy! :P
Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up UK & SEC

Quote:
Originally posted by GtownGirl98
Okay no one has mentioned the best SEC yet... who has the best fans and most loyal fans... Who has the most SEC Championships... Who has the most NCAA Basketball National Championships... I mean come on people.... UK. Let us admit that UK should not have been the number one selection committee team but when it came down to who the favorite was... it was UK, just because we are UK.

Our fans travel worldwide to be at games... that is why we are known as the BIG BLUE NATION. That is also why at Sunday nights game, other teams fan's were cheering against UK.

As to the weather, I've been to 42 states and three countries, I've lived in 3 southern states and though I loved each state for something different...
Louisiana... the culture... Texas... the... (I'm drawing a blank, I'll figure something out...) and North Carolina... the green green beauty of the mountains.... But Kentucky is the best... we have mountains but not really over powering ones, we have the BLUEGRASS, we have all four seasons, that last just long enough to soak them all in and our summers aren't as hot as Texas and we get just enough snow to please me. We also have a saying... "If you don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes, it will change." Like it did on Saturday... I spent the morning working in the garden (70 degree's outside) and by Sunday it was snowing.

Okay... I'll stop rambling about my favority SEC state.

ETA: We also have the best Cheerleaders in the world... again dominating the championships both at the collegiate level and on the high school level.
And how about Keeneland in the fall and spring. Got the Kentucky Derby too.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bama_Alumna

I will say that I can't imagine having gone to Auburn... it's like a gigantic trailer park! But that's just my UA snobbery showing through. lol
It's blasphemy!!!

I have an uncle who is a die hard Bama fan that still hasn't forgiven me for going to Auburn. Oh well, I will always bleed orange and blue !!!