GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,421
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, LeahArguet
» Online Users: 2,720
1 members and 2,719 guests
Xidelt

Old 12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by breathesgelatin
Actually, I know of a lot of American schools that do this, but it's more predominant with technical colleges with an emphasis on computers/engineering/the like. I know both Virginia Tech and NCSU have these types of programs, I have friends in both of them.
My school has the largest co-operative education program in the world... and like the schools you menioned is a very technically based university. (I just can't use the word college - it just means a very different thing up here!)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kappaloo
My school has the largest co-operative education program in the world... and like the schools you menioned is a very technically based university. (I just can't use the word college - it just means a very different thing up here!)
I don't like to use the word college, unless the institution is actually a College.

Regardless of size, University refers to Institutions with more than one College. For instance, at NCSU we have the College of Humanities and Sciences, the College of Engineering, etc. There are Universities with 3,000 students (and less) and there are Universities with over 30,000 students.

Anyway, that's one of my peeves. End of hijack
Old 12-07-2003, 11:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
What does the word 'college' mean in Canada?
Old 12-07-2003, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
What does the word 'college' mean in Canada?
Traditionally, a college (in Canada) grants diplomas instead of a degrees. Its programs usually range from 1-3 years. Colleges are considered very applied, while a university is far more academic.

That's changed a bit now, but I won't get in that here.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I pledged in the second semester of my Freshman year. My Big Big is a legacy and when she transferred here she pledged in the first semester of her Junior year. One of the girls from the last pledge class is also a junior who transferred in.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally posted by ChaosDST
I don't like to use the word college, unless the institution is actually a College.

Regardless of size, University refers to Institutions with more than one College. For instance, at NCSU we have the College of Humanities and Sciences, the College of Engineering, etc. There are Universities with 3,000 students (and less) and there are Universities with over 30,000 students.

Anyway, that's one of my peeves. End of hijack
I have many friends in CALS!

For non-NC people: College of Agriculture and Life Science... pronounced like COWS. I'm such a farm girl.

I guess I'm different on this issue. Although W&L is technically a University, I usually refer to it as a college, although it technically has 3 divisions. I usually go by size I guess. I'm technically wrong I suppose.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

I was so programmed to be a Greek, that I honestly thought that anyone who wasn't in a fraternity or sorority had tried to pledge but wasn't accepted! Yes, I was that naive!

I pledged the first term of my freshman year. I was 17!
Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Traditionally, a college (in Canada) grants diplomas instead of a degrees. Its programs usually range from 1-3 years. Colleges are considered very applied, while a university is far more academic.

That's changed a bit now, but I won't get in that here.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
I did it at the end of my second year ( I guess you could call it my sophmore year), but I was a Junior credit wise. So in total I am getting 2 full years and 1 semester of sorority. (Even though I have tons of credits, I will still be graduating in my 4th year, its all complicated and technical!) I was actually contemplating staying active while getting my Masters Degree the year after I graduate to get in some time that I missed!

edited for my horrific grammar!
Old 12-07-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to efcheerBB
I joined my house fall of 2002--my junior year. I went through so late since I transferred from a community college back at home to MSU.

GO GREEN GO WHITE
Old 12-07-2003, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

sophomore year (a.k.a. now) fall pledge class.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

fall of my freshman year...10 years ago! I too was 17.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

I pledged second semester of my freshman year.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I pledged Fall 1998 - first semester of my sophomore year.

I am kind of 50-50 on whether I wish I had pledged freshman year. On one hand, I wish I had pledged my first semester there because I would have had a whole extra year with my sisters, and would have made more friends and gotten more involved campus-wide, I think. On the other hand, I'm glad I waited, because I had a MUCH better idea of which group I wanted to join (and which ones I didn't! ), so I know for a fact I made the best choice for me and will never wonder if I did. Make sense?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

2nd semester freshman year for me...that's the first opportunity you have to be greek at Butler!