GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,579
1 members and 1,578 guests
FSUZeta

Old 07-30-2002, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

seriously these people need to get lives on the show. anything that mtv plays can not be taken seriously. i like the fact that someone referred to it as a single -sexed Real world. Actually its worse. Because in that show and in road rules them are somewhat nicer to each other. Anyway Dede I didn't even know her name until some of you mentioned it on this thread. Damn I can't believe she isn't 21 because she looks older than everyone else. I truly felt sorry for Jessica even though I would have slapped that slut back (and yes sylvia you should know, you were acting like a total slut). The girl was just trying to tell her hey I know for a fact this guy is a loser and because sylvia was ms oh so independent (really ms i am so freakin drunk) she had to get all in a hissy fit. You could have yelled but the slapping was way out of line. I would have de-pledged that girl myself. I am sure a lot of these girls did not finish their pledging because too many of them were probably embrassed to have to live with what they would be latering seeing on tv or they were kicked out. Jordan, I will continue hating forever nothing she can say or do will make me like her. She just looks like the type of girl that you have to hate. Way too much makeup and swears she so wonderful and is always bitching or complaining about something. As for Amanda, I understand because she is probably sick and tired of being in Jordan's shadow since Jordan always steals the spotlight. Now Jordan is angry that her and Candace are becoming friends. As for Candace, I didn't like her at first, but she is slowly warming up to me because she seems like she is making efforts. Mara seems cool and mature and all but for some reason I get the feeling she is somewhat of a hypocrite and not totally trustworthy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2002, 05:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
phisigsigchic--

Amanda just went from being Jordan's shadow to being Candace's shadow. She's a joiner, not a leader. Soooooooooo, un-sigma like
Old 07-30-2002, 05:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by shadokat
She's a joiner, not a leader. Soooooooooo, un-sigma like
Are you sure? Cuz we don't know what "un-sigma-like" is!
Old 07-30-2002, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ThielGirlie
First of all, you guys crack me up with some of your responses... they're great! Thanks for making my day.

Isn't Sylvia the girl in the last episode that made the card for the pledgemaster after the retreat? She didn't have the right to slap Jessica (though Jessica WAS getting on my nerves a bit, I still think Jessica did the right thing.) I can't tell how many times I've been thanked by my friends for "cockblocking," or whatever they called it... Yea, I think Jessica needs to go on Ebay and bid on a spine for herself... just my opinion.

I'm kinda glad to see Candace isn't clinging to Jordan so much, and is starting to hang out with other ppl. Jordan needs to realize she isn't that perfect, and isn't hot-sh** like she thinks she is. For God's sake, buy some lighter-colored lip-liner! Arg! I think she should get points taken off for her makeup being so "un-sigma like"
Old 07-30-2002, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
oh, i wish someone from UCD would get back on the board so we could talk with them about all this crap.
Look no further...someone from UC Davis is here. I can't help but watch since it's supposedly about sorority life (and at UCD), but now I find myself wishing this show would just go away. Like most of you have said, this show does a very poor job of depicting college life, let alone sorority life. Lately it usually just ends up making me laugh at how MTV has edited the show to be less and less like actual LIFE!
Old 07-30-2002, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ThielGirlie
I think she should get points taken off for her makeup being so "un-sigma like"

OMG!! ROFLMAO!! We may not know what is "un-Sigma like", but you are right on about her make-up!!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KDambular
Quote:
Originally posted by James
Are y'all really upset about that?

Whats the big deal?

They aren't making any claims or anything and the last time I checked using Greek Letters in a background is not blasphemy.

Are maybe y'all are just caught up in the thread and are just kind of ventin'?

ACTUALLY...I'm not for sure about other orgs, but I know that Kappa Delta has a trademark on the name Kappa Delta and the Greek letters, but i don't know about others, I assume if we do then other large houses do too.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Granted maybe Sylvia was acting like a little bit of a slut but Jessica was handling the situation really wrong. You don't do the confrontation in front of the guy, that's just humilating and it's going to provoke a bad reaction. And sisters need to look out for each other but there comes a point when a girl is going to do what a girl is going to do. And that doesn't necessarily make her a slut. There is nothing wrong with being young and enjoying yourself as long as you are careful.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via AIM to DZTUBAGIRL Send a message via Yahoo to DZTUBAGIRL
As far as I know the Mason Dixon Line is between Pennsylvania and Maryland. Is this not right?

Anne Marie
Old 07-31-2002, 04:06 AM
wreckingcrew

In regards to the whole, "i can't believe this is being touted as sorority life argument"....no offense to the sigmas, but i don't see them as a sorority. To me, they are a campus club that supposedly has a religious basis. We have lots of these at A&M.

Now, i think this show is freakin hilarious. Granted, i didn't tune in expecting to see the inside of sorority life, one year of living with my AXO sister gave me more than enough of that.

What i don't understand is how after jessica called whats-her-face a slut she was surprised when she got slapped. Let's think about this, the girl's been drinking, and you decide to call her a slut in front of some guy she's trying to hook up with. Beneficial cockblock or no, you have to expect something.

I just want the UC-Davis people out there who are embarrassed about the way this portrays their school to know, last year, when ESPN was running it's 'Sidelines" bull-crap, there were lots of us Aggies who felt the same way. ( I for one think it's an anti-Aggie bias in the media )

-KS 361
"Love, Honor, Truth"
Old 07-31-2002, 06:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KDambular

ACTUALLY...I'm not for sure about other orgs, but I know that Kappa Delta has a trademark on the name Kappa Delta and the Greek letters, but i don't know about others, I assume if we do then other large houses do too.
I would guess that trademark would apply in the event that a new org. decided to be just "KD". As sleezy as MTV is, I wouldn't put it past them to argue that they just "randomly" selected Greek letters to flash across the screen. Although most Greeks know what the letters mean, alot of other people just say, "Oh look at those greek letters."
Old 07-31-2002, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to maggieaxid
UCDPhiGirl- So what does the general greek population at Davis think of these "sigma's"? And can you define what is "UN-sigma like behavior"....none of us can. Apparently it means you can't dance all risque at a bar but you can bitch-slap your pledge sister!
Old 07-31-2002, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
Quote:
Originally posted by AggieSigmaNu361
What i don't understand is how after jessica called whats-her-face a slut she was surprised when she got slapped. Let's think about this, the girl's been drinking, and you decide to call her a slut in front of some guy she's trying to hook up with. Beneficial cockblock or no, you have to expect something.
I don't care what the circumstances were, it's never okay to slap a sister. It's not fair to say, "why was she surprised, she should have expected it!"
Old 07-31-2002, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
UCDPhiGirl- So what does the general greek population at Davis think of these "sigma's"? And can you define what is "UN-sigma like behavior"....none of us can. Apparently it means you can't dance all risque at a bar but you can bitch-slap your pledge sister!
maggieaxid - I graduated from Davis two years ago, but can honesty say I (along with most other Davis students) had never heard of the Sigmas until MTV came along wanting to do a show. There are not a lot of visible local greek organizations, and those that are more visible are usually classified as "clubs". As for all of my sisters in Alpha Phi & most of the fellow greeks from Davis I've talked with....the Sigma's have become "known" all over town, as a joke! :P

I'd love to tell you what "un-Sigma like" behavior is, but the only thing I've heard from friends still at Davis is that it's anything that doesn't exemplifying Jewish Values, unity, trust, strength, & sincere sisterhood....so I guess that bitch slapping your fellow new members is a-ok?!
Old 07-31-2002, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD

I don't care what the circumstances were, it's never okay to slap a sister. It's not fair to say, "why was she surprised, she should have expected it!"
Exactly!