GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-18-2011, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23girl View Post
I see...well I'm at home now! And I read these comments on the way to the register! Definitely put it back! Instead I got this dress http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/soprano-...resultback=933
I got a text from my sister making sure to cover my shoulders (Thank you for the heads up 33girl!) And I have a long sleeve cardigan to wear with this...But before I cut the tags, is this okay to wear? (I sadly didn't get this on sale like shown online, so returns are possible)
At least for my sorority, I think this second option is more appropriate with a cardigan.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

In my chapter, we were often a pretty motley crew at First Degree, Second Degree and Initiation time. It wasn't intentional, but none of us knew we had to have white, and scrambled to find something appropriate in September, when they were picked over. Also, in my era, plain white dresses weren't really in style, so terribly hard to find in the first place.

We had the "loving hands made at home" look, the mismatched white skirt and white oxford shirt pairing, the white cardigan from Mom or Grandmom buttoned over a white something on the bottom, and the nurse look.

And yea, verily, the beauty continued unto the next generation, as these wonders tended to be passed down in the "family".
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
amIblue-I agree with you! That is such a big market! It's like, Old Navy and Victoria's Secret acknowledge the importance of representing college teams--you'd think someone would have something like a sorority representation section with white and black dresses. Weird!
I totally may learn how to sew. Thanks to the popularity of the LBD, I don't think there's as much of a sorority-specific market for black dresses, but for white ones - oh my! What do women do for schools who have deferred recruitment? I can't imagine trying to find a white dress in January!

Last edited by amIblue?; 09-18-2011 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Am I the only one who sees buyawhitedress.com or something in the banner ad every time I log on to GC?
Old 09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
OK, I was going from my reading on other posts that white/cream attire required for fomal pledging for most NPC groups. And my Southern/SEC brain not thinking in terms of someone signing up for recruitment at the last minute...sorry!
I don't know where people get that! My group certainly doesn't require it - at least not nationally. Now, what individual campuses do may be a horse of a different color. We simply require "pin attire."
Old 09-18-2011, 09:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Am I the only one who sees buyawhitedress.com or something in the banner ad every time I log on to GC?
Seriously, when you first posted that, I thought, "Really? I've NEVER seen that advertisement. What is she talking about?" As soon as I clicked to look at something else, I saw the advertisement. Oh, wow. How did I miss that? In all honesty, though, I did not have a GC account until after I was an initiated member.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

And then you have the deferred recruitments that start in January- daughter, yours truly and grandmama in Florida were all scouring the stores and internet for appropriate white dresses in the dead of winter. We ended up having the most luck at Marshalls/TJ Maxx.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what I need yet, but I hope that I find out far enough in advance to go out and get things!

MelindaWarren aka Bellatrix Lestrange
Wanna follow me on Pinterest? PM me!
"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 09-18-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
I don't know what I need yet, but I hope that I find out far enough in advance to go out and get things!
Well, you're not as out in the hinterlands as some people are. I mean in some college towns, you're lucky if you can find dressy clothes period, let alone white dressy clothes.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, you're not as out in the hinterlands as some people are. I mean in some college towns, you're lucky if you can find dressy clothes period, let alone white dressy clothes.
Very true (my cousins live in one of those towns. I can't imagine what they'd have to do to find a white dress now!). I might actually look now...if the return policies are good...

"It is our choices that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities."-Albus Dumbledore
Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melindawarren View Post
Very true (my cousins live in one of those towns. I can't imagine what they'd have to do to find a white dress now!). I might actually look now...if the return policies are good...
For the small town girls - the internet is fabulous for just this.

Zappos has free returns and if you are a vip you can get rush delivery for free. Mod Cloth is another good place to look for something different or even Lilly had white and black dresses in the end of summer clearance.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:10 AM
23girl

Yeah, no...where I'm attending college there's absolutely no decent conservative white dresses. Trust me I knew I was going in to recruitment since the beginning of this year and have stopped to look everywhere. I don't know why but it's always sheer white dresses that are out in stores which I would never subject myself to. And before I went through recruitment, we weren't told what to have or anything. They just specified what to wear when meeting the sororities...nothing after.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to frangiblefacade
For anyone reading this thread trying to find white dresses still, I found a few nice ones at Deb this semester!
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

way back when (we are talking '91) I scrambled to find a white dress, stockings and shoes [drama THAT DAY] and then for pledge presents...that was a task...it was a no go for me to find a white dress that look nice on my...I was allowed to wear a very nice off white formal, I think I found at a Dillards in Scottsdale. Of course after the fact, I found out I could rent a white dress...

It really was a comedy of errors, I look back and laugh now, but it was not a laughing situation then.

You know...this should be a part of the recruitment manuals the PHC puts out...because not all PMNs are knowledgeable

The edit button has become my new best friend
Old 09-21-2011, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23girl View Post
Yeah, no...where I'm attending college there's absolutely no decent conservative white dresses. Trust me I knew I was going in to recruitment since the beginning of this year and have stopped to look everywhere. I don't know why but it's always sheer white dresses that are out in stores which I would never subject myself to. And before I went through recruitment, we weren't told what to have or anything. They just specified what to wear when meeting the sororities...nothing after.
I know, right? I know this would be tough for campus panhellenics to do, but it would not be the worst idea to mention that girls should have an all-white outfit if that really IS what the sororities want.