GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,387
5 members and 1,382 guests
acg233, John, Phrozen Sands, Sarak24034

Old 08-22-2012, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I believe that recruitment at big Greek schools, like Mizzou, is so overwhelming that it is actually pretty easy for women to drop, even if they really want to be a part of Greek life. The competive-ness, long, hot days, severe cuts- its enough to make even a triple legacy wonder if it is really worth it (not that I WAS a triple legacy, I'm just saying...)
It is so wonderful that Sigma Kappa will be there to give these women the chance to be a part of Mizzou's Greek Life (if they are a good fit for the SK, obviously).
Old 08-22-2012, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes! I agree with tigerivy. This year, there were almost 1,700 girls for 14 houses. That's just gonna be tough!

So happy to see Sigma Kappa returning to Greek Town! The women that dropped during recruitment still have a great opportunity to become a part of Greek Life at Mizzou.

I hope the OP had a good outcome and comes back and tells her story!
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter went Tri Delta!! She is very excited and felt an instant connection there.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations to your daughter Mizzoutigers!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

My daughter survived recruitment week. There were many tears on preference day, but she rallied with a positive attitude and maturity well beyond her young years (hardest thing for a mom to handle long distance). By bid day she was all smiles and is now loving her new home!
Old 08-29-2012, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizmama View Post
My daughter survived recruitment week. There were many tears on preference day, but she rallied with a positive attitude and maturity well beyond her young years (hardest thing for a mom to handle long distance). By bid day she was all smiles and is now loving her new home!

Thanks for this update, mizmama. It sounds like she did not get her first choice which is always a bit of a shock despite how much the pnm is warned that this can happen. Congrats to your daughter's bid and her mature ability to rally in the face of disappointment. If you can, we would love to hear her story.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

SO, I know it is about a month late - but I've been very busy and somewhat forgot that I had promised to post my daughter's story!

So, we will start with day one.
They attended 7 parties and an informational session on Sigma Kappa's recruitment.

Marc Jacobs: This was the very first chapter that my daughter visited. She said she was extremely nervous at first, but once she started talking to some of the girls in the house, she started to feel more at ease. My daughter was a runner in high school (cross country & track) and had a great conversation with a girl who was also a runner and told her about Mizzou's running club. Overall, she said she enjoyed this house but didn't absolutely love it.

Chanel: My daughter really loved this house. She said every single girl in it was absolutely beautiful, and she met a girl who's cousin went to her high school (a big deal since my daughter comes from an extremely small town and went to Mizzou not knowing anyone).

Dolce & Gabbana: Another house my daughter really loved. She said she felt very at home here, and had great conversations. She said everyone she talked to seemed extremely nice & the president made a point of introducing herself to her. She also had a great conversation with a girl about traveling, which they both really enjoyed.

Stella McCartney: My daughter had, unfortunately, heard that this wasn't close to a "top" house, but she absolutely could not figure it out! She said that all of the girls she talked to were extremely pretty, and they seemed very proud of their sorority. She said she felt comfortable here.

Gucci: My daughter didn't like this house at all. She said that the set-up was very awkward for PNMs to talk to sorority members, and it was so loud that she was basically screaming. She also said that she talked to the same girl the entire time, and the conversation started to get awkward.

Steve Madden: My daughter went into recruitment wanting to love this house, because we have a very good family friend who is an alumna who wrote her a great letter of recommendation and speaks extremely well of her days as an active member. She liked this house, but felt almost as she had to try too hard to impress all of the girls. She didn't love it as much as she thought she would, but decided she would like to go back.

Prada: This was the last house of the day. My daughter said that she didn't remember much from this house since she was so exhausted and her feet were killing her, but she said her conversations were a bit awkward.

Day 2 of Round 1

Alexander McQueen: My daughter enjoyed this house. She had good conversations, said the girls were all very pretty, but nothing really stuck out to her. She said she'd like to go back, but wouldn't be extremely disappointed if she did not.

Calvin Klein: My daughter said that the girls in the house were sweet, but her conversations were a little awkward and she didn't feel that she'd fit in here.

Vera Wang: This was another house that my daughter went in really loving, because of a family friend of ours who was extremely proud of her letters and wrote her a good rec. My daughter said this house definitely lived up to what our friend had said and it was definitely one of her favorites.

Kate Spade: My daughter had heard great things about this house, and how almost all the girls who had visited it really wanted to go back. My daughter said all of the girls were gorgeous and super sweet, but she just didn't feel a connection with any of them. My daughter's friends were shocked (as was I) when hearing that she didn't have a great experience, but she just had awkward conversations.

Betsey Johnson: My daughter said that the outside of this house was gorgeous, and she really enjoyed her time here. All of the girls were extremely nice, and she bonded with a girl who was also from a very small town and didn't know anyone when coming to Mizzou. She said she could see herself here.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Rachel Zoe: [/COLOR]My daughter bonded with the first girl she talked to over running, and was even disappointed when that girl left, ha. She said it was one of the best conversations she had during rush just because they laughed and didn't talk about all of the same old boring stuff.

Ralph Lauren: Last house of round 1! My daughter loved their philanthropy, as it is extremely close to her heart. She liked the girls in this house but wasn't sure it was one of her favorites.

Time to preference! My daughter only had to list the three she did not wish to return to in order, but she informed me that these were her rankings (in her mind).

1. D&G
2. Chanel
3. Rachel Zoe
4. Vera Wang
5. Betsey Johnson
6. Alexander McQueen
7. Steve Madden
8. Ralph Lauren
9. Marc Jacobs
10. Kate Spade
11. Stella McCartney
12. Calvin Klein
13. Gucci
14. Prada
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

On Wednesday, my daughter got her schedule back, and to her surprise and excitement was invited back to all of the houses that she had hoped for!

Her schedule was:

1. Chanel
2. Alexander McQueen
3. Steve Madden
4. Stella McCartney
5. Kate Spade
6. Marc Jacobs
7. Ralph Lauren
8. Betsey Johnson
9. D&G
10. Rachel Zoe
11. Vera Wang
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay! Glad you are back!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

excited for the rest of the story!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea! Please keep posting your story!

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

On Wednesday she visited the 11 houses that I listed for skit day.

Chanel: My daughter still loved this house, but was worried because she heard that this house was very much a "party" house and didn't have a very high GPA. Don't get my wrong, my daughter does love to have fun, but her grades are very important to her, so this was a concern in terms of how she felt she would fit in. She did say that their skit was absolutely hilarious.

Alexander McQueen: My daughter enjoyed this house, but said that the skit didn't really stick out to her much. She still felt very neutral about it.

Steve Madden: As I said before, my daughter really wanted to love this house and didn't like it as much as she had expected. However, she really loved going there for their skit. She said that it was really funny and cute. Also, she really liked the girls that she talked to and they definitely turned her opinion of this house around.

Stella McCartney: My daughter said the girl she talked to was absolutely gorgeous, but didn't talk much. She said she had to do almost all of the talking and felt as if she was pulling teeth to keep the conversation going. She said their skit was okay.

Kate Spade: Again, my daughter wanted to love this house because the girls were so sweet and all of her friends loved it, but she just didn't feel a connection here. She didn't like their skit very much.

Marc Jacobs: She said she really liked their skit, and the girls were very nice. She felt as if they were truly happy to see her back again. She liked this house a lot.

Ralph Lauren: My daughter LOVED this skit. She said it was so cute and funny, and the decorations were cute. She also really likes their philanthropy, as I said before.

Betsey Johnson: My daughter liked this house, but didn't love it. She said their skit was really cute.

Dolce & Gabbana: My daughter loved this skit. She had some really good conversations and definitely wanted to return.

Rachel Zoe: My daughter loved this skit! She had good conversations and definitely wanted to return.

Vera Wang: My daughter said that this skit really highlighted their sisterhood, but that it was a bit depressing and lots of people were crying. My daughter thought this was sweet but liked the funnier skits a bit more.

My daughter had a tough time preferencing, but at the end, decided on this:

1. Steve Madden
2. Rachel Zoe
3. Dolce & Gabbana
4. Chanel
5. Marc Jacobs
6. Ralph Lauren
7. Betsey Johnson
8. Vera Wang
9. Kate Spade
10. Alexander McQueen
11. Stella McCartney

She gets to return to seven houses tomorrow for philanthropy/house tours!
Old 09-27-2012, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it wouldn't be a good story without a little drama; she was cut from four houses, including three of her favorites: Rachel Zoe, Dolce & Gabbana, & Ralph Lauren. She was also cut from Alexander McQueen. I think this was a big shock to her after getting all of the houses that she wished for back on Wednesday; it made her a bit over confident. My daughter isn't a crier, but I could definitely tell she was very hurt by this. However, after talking to her on the phone, she said she was going to hold her head high and be accepting of the houses that wanted her back, as they are all great houses with great girls. She also said - "even if I don't get into a house that I 'think' I fit in it, there are over 200 girls in each sorority - there has to be SOMEONE I click with". I'm very proud of her.

Fortunately, she has a full schedule, and seven amazing houses left, including her number one choice. For Philanthropy day, she will be visiting:

1. Chanel
2. Steve Madden
3. Ralph Lauren
4. Kate Spade
5. Marc Jacobs
6. Stella McCartney
7. Betsey Johnson
Old 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

A full schedule is always encouraging, even if she did lose a few of her favorites. Glad she was able to see past the disappointment and soldier on!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I need to correct my last post - the third house she will be returning to for Philanthropy day/house tours is Vera Wang, not Ralph Lauren. So, she is returning to seven wonderful chapters for Thursday!

Chanel: My daughter really liked this house, as usual. She enjoyed their philanthropy video and said it was very heartwarming. She still had a few reservations about them not having the best grades.

Steve Madden: My daughter absolutely loved this house again. She really bonded with a girl over both coming from small towns and not knowing anyone at Mizzou. Each house had a "theme" for house tours and she said that this one was really cute. This house is currently her favorite.

Vera Wang: She likes this chapter's philanthropy, but said her conversations here were a bit awkward.

Kate Spade: Well, folks, they say that everything happens for a reason. After trying to cut this house since she didn't feel a connection for two days straight, she absolutely LOVED this house today. I got a text from her afterwards saying how grateful she was to get cut from a couple houses that she liked since she got an opportunity to go back to Kate Spade. She really connected with the girl she talked with and she loved their theme for house tours. This replaced Steve Madden and became her current favorite.

Marc Jacobs: She really liked this house and felt as if the girls were always happy to see her when she returned. However, she didn't really feel as if this was the house for her.

Stella McCartney: She liked their house, but said that the girl she talked to, once again, was just not very talkative and it was really awkward.

Betsey Johnson: This was her last house of the day, and she was exhausted going in. She had felt neutral about this house all week - liked it enough to keep it, but didn't necessarily love it. However, she LOVED this house today! She thought their house was decorated so beautifully for house tours and said that they really put the most effort into their decorations and theme out of all the houses that she visited. She truly connected with all of the girls that she talked to, and their philanthropy really hit home with her. She said she felt so at home here that she didn't even think about how exhausted she was and how bad her feet were hurting; she was just so happy to be there. I got a text afterward saying "I know this is where I should be. I feel so at home."

So, this is how she preffed:
1. Betsey Johnson
2. Kate Spade
3. Steve Madden
4. Chanel
5. Vera Wang
6. Marc Jacobs
7. Stella McCartney