GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,603
1 members and 2,602 guests
Tridentia

Old 04-29-2009, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I call BS. Is this an Alpha Xi rule or just your chapters? FYI, there is a way to be classy without having makeup on.
My chapter was like this as well, it wasn't strictly enforced though, just kind of frowned upon to not have makeup done and hair nice.

P.S. I totally agree with you OTW, I dont think its necessary to look like Cinderella in letters, but you definitely shouldn't look like shiz either.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM

And as I've said a million times, if you go to a small school IT DOESN'T FLIPPING MATTER IF YOU HAVE LETTERS ON OR NOT. Everyone knows what group everyone is in and you aren't going to "redeem" yourself by looking like Miss America in your letters when you looked like a train wreck the other day in a plain sweatshirt.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
We have similar requirements, however we must look polished. Most girls in my chapter see polished as make up and hair done, however, there are some girls who don't do everything. I don't know about seeing our letters as sacred, we just want to put the best image forward of our chapter and greek life as a whole because there are many people who don't know what the letters mean and only know them as greek. We are also not allowed to work out in our letters or have them on out bottoms.
I am totally against butt letters, but wow on not working out in letters. If I wear my letters (or have my Alpha Gam waterbottle) with me while working out I feel as if I'm really living the part of The Purpose about "prize health and vigor of body." As an alumna I wear random shirts from previous rushes or events to the gym, as so do most other collegians and alumni and alumnae. I am more likely to wear something that identifies my membership at the gym than I am to wear my badge.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 AM
GreekChat Member

I know this thread is a little old but still....

Although we have the basic rules it seems most GLO's have (no drinking, looking polished), I think we have a different take on what "looking polished" is. We do work out in our letters. Actually, a bunch of us just went in and got sweat pants made (the letters are down the leg and not on the butt) So we can wear our letters while working our, or doing intermurals, or some of the fraternity philanthropys that require sports. We also have hoodies with our letters on it, because it is possible to look cute in hoodies. A hoodie, jeans, nice shoes and your hair done is perfectly acceptable to go to class. PR is important and that does mean wearing our letters frequently, especially since we are smaller then some of the other GLO's on campus.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I am totally against butt letters, but wow on not working out in letters. If I wear my letters (or have my Alpha Gam waterbottle) with me while working out I feel as if I'm really living the part of The Purpose about "prize health and vigor of body." As an alumna I wear random shirts from previous rushes or events to the gym, as so do most other collegians and alumni and alumnae. I am more likely to wear something that identifies my membership at the gym than I am to wear my badge.
That's what I was thinking. To me it seems like working out in your letters is positive. Working out is healthy for everyone just like not smoking, eating right, and getting enough sleep. It's a basic.

I don't think it does any good to look like Barbie in letters unless you are being an enjoyable person at the same time. While personally I don't (or try not to) wear letters if I look like the undead, I figure it's better to look like I need some under eye brightner and a little gloss but be pleasant to be around than just look hot. Though, of course, being both pleasant and cute is optimal...it's just not always feasible for 8 oclock classes and work out sessions. My only pet peeve in the presentation department is not being CLEAN at least (except working out of course) when wearing letters. I've never been offended by a sister not wearing make up and doing her hair perfectly but I have been a little embarrassed when they've shown up in letters with greasy hair and BO. It's happened.

My perspective on it all is very different than it was as an active, especially freshman year, but as our requirements are only that we not drink, smoke, or cuss in our letters, I wasn't ever really bothered by the requirements. On the other hand butt-letters really bother me as do lookatmyboobies letters, so it's personal taste.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

We don't wear letters while drinking, and that's about it. It's discouraged to wear them at a party or bar even if you aren't drinking, although eating at a restaurant that HAS a bar is no big deal.

Personally, I think it's stupid. As 33 always says, people know we're Greek regardless. I ALSO think there's a HUGE difference between having a glass of wine in letters or a drink with dinner and getting blasted at a fraternity house and puking under the pool table at the end of the night.

When I am alum, I will probably drink (not get drunk, drink) in my letters.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
We touched on this briefly in the "Letters on the butt" thread. But, are there things (other than drinking) you're prohibited or discouraged from doing in letters?

No drinking with your letters on huh. So drinking at a Frat or Sorority house that bears the letters on the door would not be considered the same, so long as you are not wearing your letters inside right. But who drinks at Frat or Sorority houses?

Last edited by ChrlzinChrg; 05-28-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrlzinChrg View Post
No drinking with your letters on huh. So drinking at a Frat or Sorority house that bears the letters on the door would not be considered the same, so long as you are not wearing your letters inside right. But who drinks at Frat or Sorority houses?
1). NPC sororities can't really drink in the house, unless they own it and then they can't throw parties.

2). Many fraternities can drink in letters. Those are the ones who throw parties in a house with letters on it.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

As we are the new kids on the block on our campus we are encoureged to where our letters as much as possiable. But we are discouraged from wearing them while drinking. Especially if some asshole has a camera and starts taking pictures at a party (happened to me and i almost got screwed because there was an RA present at the party. He get fired and everyone that was tagged in the pictures had to talk with the dean. Ever since then Ive deleted every picture on my facebook with alchohol present.)
Old 05-28-2009, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
2). Many fraternities can drink in letters. Those are the ones who throw parties in a house with letters on it.
Not true. SigEps aren't supposed to. But, of course, I was at another school's SigEp house and, even though both my chapter and theirs did not have letters on, the house did and the whole basement was branded with SigEp everywhere you looked.

It's odd, though.. we can't drink in the Greek letters but we can drink in things that have our name written out.