GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,425
0 members and 1,425 guests
No Members online

Old 08-23-2023, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Indiana University Kappa Sigma placed on Cease and Desist

Kappa Sigma placed on cease and desist for alcohol, hazing, endangering others

The chapter just rechartered last semester - it had been suspended in 2018.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2023, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

As a 20+ year fraternity advisor, I don’t even react to these closings ⬆️ anymore. I just shake my head and hope my guys have better sense.
Two song titles came immediately to mind:

“When Will They Ever Learn”
and
“Another One Bites the Dust”

We’re slowly killing ourselves—in every way that word can be interpreted…
Old 08-23-2023, 11:14 AM

What I've noticed in a certain organization that I am very familiar with (read between the lines) is that newly chartered or re-chartered chapters are getting into trouble on average within two years.

There are what I call the "big, historical" chapters; usually a state flagship school or a private school that's been around since forever. Then there are the "regional school" chapters; these are the schools like SouthWestCentral State University or University of State-Smallville.

What are we noticing?

The "big, historical" chapter, was shut down due to RMF. When they are re-established, they start out with the attitude "We're bring back Kappa Tau Gamma! We're going to be better than ever!" They do everything correct during the re-establishment period. They get re-chartered and then, "We've got to make pledging harder. The other fraternities on campus are saying it's too easy to become a KT." Alumni and legacies of the chapter: "Guys, y'all need to do this tradition that we had since the 50s. What? HQ is forbidding that? Screw 'em. Everybody keep your mouth shut. What HQ doesn't know won't hurt 'em."

And, then the re-established chapter gets right back into the same RMF issues that got them shut down because the new members are listening to the alumni who screwed up the chapter in the first place.

Does it happen at the "regional" chapter? Yes, but not as often and usually takes them a bit longer to get back into RMF issues.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-24-2023, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
I'm just surprised how short of a time it took between official recharter to cease and desist - not even 6 months!
Old 08-24-2023, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

LaneSig—You are so astute with your evaluation and comments on RMF issues regarding chapters in different stages. I’ve actually shared your thoughts with other advisor friends who found them “spit on” as one said.
THANK YOU for your post.
Old 09-17-2023, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen a lot of the same pattern with regard to mainline schools versus smaller schools and RM issues.

But that said, there are some organizations which did a lot of expansion a long time ago at the smaller schools and those groups have a lot of the same issues as groups which focus on mainline schools. I'd suggest that the issue is more with the age of chapters and the availability of old school alums who advocate their old school traditions.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 09-18-2023, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

It's funny, I used to think that longer bans from Campus represented additional Punishment, but now I think of it more as an effort to make sure that the alumni of the chapter are less involved in any new effort.

I wonder whether an open statement that any effort to return the chapter to the school will be under different letters is basically an effort on the Fraternity's part to do the same thing.