GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,197
2 members and 2,195 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Formal Shut Down (Washington U - St. Louis)

On Wednesday, March 23, 2005, Student Life, the student paper at Washington University at St. Louis, published an article about the shutting down of the Alpha Phi formal at the City Museum for alcohol-related problems. According to the article,

"Alpha Phi's formal at the City Museum came to an abrupt end Friday night when the museum's management shut down the formal and demanded the entire sorority leave the building."

The shutdown occurred at 11 pm. The museum's rationale was that "multiple members of the sorority were publicly intoxicated," posing "what the museum called a safety threat to the sorority members and other City Museum guests."

Museum management cited incidents of passing out and vomiting into trash cans in public areas. The sorority chapter president denies some of the allegations of incidents of passing out.

Museum personnel indicated that pre-partying was the major cause of the problems -- sorority members arrived at the party drunk.

The reported incident is eerily reminiscent of other recent reports of Greeks' drunk-and-out-of-control behavior in public -- whether at a Hampton Inn in Charleston, a ski resort (some Penn Greeks), or (a little farther back in time) a Northwestern fraternity's formal at the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago.

As DeltAlum has pointed out, incidents like this, unfortunately, just reinforce public perceptions of Greeks as irresponsible party animals. Incidentally, it probably doesn't help that Washington U. at St. Louis recently had well-publicized Greek drinking issues and a controversial crackdown on alcohol in the Greek system.

For the complete article, see the student paper's web site at http://www.studlife.com

You might have to do a sign-in or registration. You can also try accessing the article through Google News or other search engines.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-23-2005, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Unfortunately, thanks to the students from the Washington U chapter, it will probably have a negative impact on the Greeks here at SIUE (also the St. Louis area), who have had several events at the City Museum without incident.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, being from St. Louis and madly in love with the City Museum, I completely agree that intoxicated members is definitely a safety threat.

It seems strange that there were "other City Museum guests"... when I was in high school (a whole year ago!) a few schools had their proms and formals there and rented out the entire building.

The GLOs at Mizzou have been warned about pre-partying recently... even if members of the sorority in this case had not been "passing out" as their president claims, they should have still recognized that any visible intoxication at a place that is meant to be a children's museum (and by the "other guests" statement, it seems possible children were there at the time) is a very bad decision on their part.

I hate hearing stories like this because, like
BSUPhiSig'92, my Greek community is close to St. Louis and often has events there. It's so unfortunate that one group (especially from a wonderful school like WashU) has to make a poor decision that reflects back on ALL the greeks in a 200 mile radius...
Old 03-23-2005, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
. ... even if members of the sorority in this case had not been "passing out" as their president claims, they should have still recognized that any visible intoxication at a place that is meant to be a children's museum (and by the "other guests" statement, it seems possible children were there at the time) is a very bad decision on their part. ...

Apparently children did see some of the behavior, according to the report on the web site of a TV station (KSDK):

"City Museum officials say several sorority members, some under-age, and their dates were intoxicated when they arrived at 8:00 p.m.

One girl reportedly passed out in front of a group of Girl Scouts and their chaperones. Some were seen vomiting in nearby trash cans."

http://www.ksdk.com/news/education_a...?storyid=77103

Last edited by exlurker; 03-23-2005 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope there isn't a connection, but I suspect there is...

"COPIES OF 'STUDENT LIFE' STOLEN

Many hundreds of copies of Student Life were stolen sometime Wednesday morning
or early afternoon from distribution points around the Hilltop campus, reports
Student Life General Manager Andrew O'Dell.

O'Dell said he and other members of the Student Life staff found copies of the
newspaper stuffed into trash cans in buildings across the Hilltop, including in
Louderman, Lab Sciences, and Holmes Lounge.

Washington University's police department is currently investigating the thefts. "

Some people never learn that they're just adding fuel to the fire
Old 03-23-2005, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Greeks are asswholes?

I used to do wine tastings and did one where the town stalwarts had Pre-Parys to come and do drinnking!

Yeow, and GLOS are Fucked up!

If there is a Formal Function, Please use Your heads and Best Foot Forward. Look and Be Impressive. Fucked up is not really Good! Da!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-24-2005, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

According to KSDK, WashU is not going to penalize the entire chapter. Only the individual members of Alpha Phi who are at fault will be facing the consequences for their actions.

Perhaps this is nothing new (only punishing those who deserve it!) but I'm sure not used to it. At my school, one person or a few do something stupid and it's social probation and investigations and community service for everyone. (I can give you an example or two, but not one you couldn't find yourself from that lovely search function!)

One more thing this makes me think about: signing that little paper that says you'll be responsible for your date and their actions. I'm not sure people really think before signing that... perhaps they should.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm just shocked they aren't being put on social probation. People have been put on social probation for a lot less! Is Wash U punishing the individual members or just the chapter? hahaha how do you know more than me when this is my school?
Haha... it's my spring break so my life since last Friday has consisted of watching lots of movies and the news... and posting on GC!

From what I understand, WashU is punishing the individual members of Alpha Phi who are responsible. In addition, "Karin Johnes, with the Greek Life office at Washington University, says Alpha Phi will be monitored to make sure it follows it's own sanctions." (That's from KSDK's website.)

I'll be happy if they are not put on social probation. I believe people should be accountable for their actions, but I don't believe people should be held accountable for the actions of others. Just to throw an example out... let's say 15 women from my chapter caused a scene at our formal. (Which has not and will not happen... because Sapphire Ball already went off without a hitch two weeks ago... ) But if the actions of those women caused my whole chapter to go on social probation, there would still be more than 200 women completely innocent of any wrongdoing that are facing the same punishment of those who are at fault.

I mean... it just seems like we're always saying that when one chapter ANYWHERE makes the news, it effects Greeks everywhere and suddenly we're all defending ourselves. But the reality is that it only takes one member of one chapter to effect all of us.

If a chapter gets in trouble and has to do, say, 100 hours of community service... that's nothing. If the five people who are responsible for getting the chapter in trouble have to complete those 100 hours by themselves... that makes more sense to me. I guess I just feel like punishing everyone takes away from the actual root of the problem. If those at fault are facing the same consequences as those who aren't... what kind of message is sent?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to gpb1874
i see the point of not punishing the whole chapter, but i also see the other side too. i'm a former chapter advisor and now a greek advisor. the chapter advisor in me says "why didn't someone see their sorry drunk ass and send them home in a cab?" someone should have done something about it. what about those that did nothing....shouldn't something be done to them so that they know next time to send those drunks home? i would address those that were drunk and those that did nothing, but from the chapter's descipline process.

as for the greek advisor in me, i would make sure those drunks are getting punished by the chapter and make sure it follows through with the punishment. i would also want to make sure the chapter knows the alcohol policies of the chapter and the school. this would probably be in the form of a mandatory presentation or perhaps a police ride along or both. if i know the chapter is taking care of it's own problems, i am less likely to impose something on them. if they are not taking care of it, i will step in more.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by STL Kappa
According to KSDK, WashU is not going to penalize the entire chapter. Only the individual members of Alpha Phi who are at fault will be facing the consequences for their actions.

Perhaps this is nothing new (only punishing those who deserve it!) but I'm sure not used to it. At my school, one person or a few do something stupid and it's social probation and investigations and community service for everyone. (I can give you an example or two, but not one you couldn't find yourself from that lovely search function!)
man i wish our greek advisor would have taken a cue from this. we were in trouble for hazing and instead of punishing those involved, the whole chapter was punished.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

From what I understand (don't quote me on this though... it was a while ago), in the past a GLO at my school did something that resulted in a punishment of social probation and community service. The next year when a new pledge class was recruited, they were exempt from the community service but were still on social probation with the rest of the chapter... doesn't seem fair that they didn't even go to the school at the time the incident occurred, nor did they have any knowledge of it.

I understand that a chapter advisor would think those who "did nothing" are just as much at fault... but hopefully there are measures taken to avoid this even happening in the first place. For example, my chapter has "bus babies" as part of risk management that watch the busses that take us to and from events. One woman watches the busses at the house, and another at the place of the event. If women are visibly drunk they are not allowed on the bus to the party or into the party... and we double check to make sure alcohol is not brought onto the busses. In addition, all members were given the numbers of our risk management chair and our president in case of emergencies.

I don't think this incident is anyone's fault but the women who made poor decisions by drinking so much, but I am wondering about City Museum as well. Why is there a cash bar open when there are children present? Why were children present in the first place? I'm sure the City Museum felt that the event would go off without incident, as it seems many similar events have in the past... but the one difference is the alcohol. I understand that City Museum can do nothing about women who came to the event drunk, but they also weren't helping the situation by serving alcohol...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Two of our organizations were put on social probation for an off campus party they hosted (with a 3rd party vendor), at which underagers were served (by the vendors). The result? All off campus parties were cancelled indefiniately (two others were allready selling tickets for their function by this time). Many of the fraternities and sororities paired up for these events and made a good deal of money from them and the Greek and non greeks alike attended in large numbers. And the rulling of the Greek Governing board was overturned by a dean, who thought that the punishment wasn't enough, which makes the board look bad...grr...so frustrating.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to The1calledTKE Send a message via Yahoo to The1calledTKE
http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_articl...&storyid=77103

The above link has a video newscast about the subject,
Old 03-25-2005, 05:40 PM
GreekChat Member

The Alpha Phi chapter at Washington U - St. Louis has apologized to City Museum. The chapter has also offered to do community service at the museum, or to assist with fundraising. The museum has politely declined the offers, citing the time that would be needed to train volunteers, and suggesting that the chapter might want to do things at the university instead.

http://www.studlife.com/news/2005/03...s-902742.shtml

(You might or might not have to sign in or register at the student paper's site.)

The article reports that City Museum has received many call from parents of Girl Scouts who were at the museum when the alleged incidents happened.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Museums many times have functions where groups are envolved with Alchol as Money making opperations.

Now, it seems that A Greek Organization had such a Party.

If, This Greek Organization did this sort of thing, it does besmirch all Greek Organizations.

To me, a Museum is a place to enjoy and admire. I want to find fault for the St. Loius Museum for allowing this to go on. I have been there and found it outstanding. This sounds like a ski weekend at a Mountain Slope.

It actually sounds like a Party that was not controlled by either The GLO and The Museum.

Respect is earned, not learned!

LX Z # 1
Alumni