GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,135
2 members and 2,133 guests
John, Low D Flat

Old 07-27-2003, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Rush at Georgia Tech

Hey girls! Any GCers from Georgia Tech... or anyone know anything about it? I have a friend who will be going through rush this year and I offered to write her a recommendation if she would like me to.

a) Do houses pay attention to rec's or are they just kinda glanced at and not really considered?

b) What is the Alpha Chi Omega chapter like there? Does anyone know? They sound incredible from their website (all the amazing National awards they've won and their campus awards as well!) and I can really picture this girl as an Alpha Chi (well, she would at least fit in with all the fabulous AXOs I know). Needless to say, I really want her as a sister!

Is my opinion of her worth anything to the chapter at Georgia Tech? Is it worth it for me to write her a rec or should I just let her do her own thing? Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Recs are important to at least 4 of the groups there and Alpha Chi is really good!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the response! You mentioned that rec's are important at 4 of the houses.... is AXO one of them? I'm getting all excited thinking about possibly helping someone out with Alpha Chi!
Old 07-27-2003, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Quote:
Originally posted by IHeartAXO
Thanks for the response! You mentioned that rec's are important at 4 of the houses.... is AXO one of them? I'm getting all excited thinking about possibly helping someone out with Alpha Chi!
I'd just write her one anyway. Even if it's not "important" it will make her stand out to the A Chi Os.

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-27-2003, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I worked with a girl who was an Alpha Xi at Tech two summers ago (a great rep of her org) and she didn't know anything about rush (her parents actually made her) but she went through fell in llove and is totally happy. I doubt she had any recs and she had a full schedule for pref. night. I'm sure recs can never hurt, but I don't think it's ANYTHING like UGA. I've never heard any horror stories.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Hey-- I'm pm'd you
Old 07-28-2003, 05:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Our alum panhellenic has done recs for five girls from our area who are going thru rush at Georgia Tech next month. We have gotten recs for all six of the sororites at GA Tech -- (Alpha Gam, Zeta, ADPi, AChiO, AXiD, and Phi Mu). All the houses there look good, although I personally only know women (some alums and some collegiates) from two of the chapters (Zeta & Alpha Gam) and they are wonderful.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:41 AM
GreekChat Member

I have several friends from high school who are AXOs at GTech. (I'm one at UGA.) They won the National Council Trophy a few years ago and are a "continuing excellence" chapter now. AXO is definitely one of the top chapters there. I know they would be thrilled to have a rec for your friend so that they are well informed about her. Good luck to her.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

As a Georgia Tech grad, I would definitely suggest writting a recommendation for anyone going through recruitment. While recruitment is not as cutthroat as UGA, getting in can still be difficult (especially when you consider the scholastic achievements of many of the PNMs).

If you have any questions specifically about GT recruitment, I'd be happy to answer them - just let me know.

Gerogiat Tech's sororities all happen to be made up of high quality girls. Of course, I'm partial to my own (Alpha Gam), but they all have smart, talented members. I have many Alpha Chi friends from GT. They all loved their time at Tech.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 AM

I would go for the rec, myself. After all, this is the state of Georgia we're talking about and I would say that in general, rushing in the ole south is C-O-M-P-E-T-I-T-I-V-E!
Old 07-28-2003, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

My brother's girlfriend is the VP of Recruitment for ADPi at Tech. I helped her with some of her rush stuff last weekend, and loved hearing about all of her plans for this year. Brings back memories of my rush days!

Anyway... I would say that recs are nice if you can get them. It's always good for the girls to know as much about a rushee as possible so that they are more apt to remember her at the parties.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I know some ADPis at Tech as well. Wonderful, wonderful ladies. Their house is next door to the AXO house at tech.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gt_agd
As a Georgia Tech grad, I would definitely suggest writting a recommendation for anyone going through recruitment. While recruitment is not as cutthroat as UGA, getting in can still be difficult (especially when you consider the scholastic achievements of many of the PNMs).

If you have any questions specifically about GT recruitment, I'd be happy to answer them - just let me know.

Gerogiat Tech's sororities all happen to be made up of high quality girls. Of course, I'm partial to my own (Alpha Gam), but they all have smart, talented members. I have many Alpha Chi friends from GT. They all loved their time at Tech.
I have to agree about the GA tech sorority women -- ultra smart and cute to boot! The daughter of a friend is in the Alpha Gam house at Ga Tech now -- her name is Lindsay Kerns. She is a doll! Do you know her, gt_agd? ? Her mom says she (Lindsay) is in charge of Day one stuff and has been working hard all summer!
Old 07-29-2003, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

GPhiBLtColonel-

No, unfortunately I don't know Lindsay. (Gosh I'm getting really old when I don't know the ladies organizing recruitment) I am usually so involved with recuritment, but this year I've been too busy at work to make my way down to the house to help out. Being a day chair is a huge responsibility, so it is completely understandable that she has been planning all summer. Though, I'm sure that in true Alpha Gam style, Lindsay will make it a great party!
Old 07-29-2003, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to curlyagd
I'm an AGD at Georgia Tech, I'll be a senior this year. Everyone has a different opinon about whether recs are important or not. I know personally, I was kept longer by the houses I had recs for, so they definately can't hurt, especially because more girls have been going through recruitment in the past few years, I think having a rec will probably help your friend stand out! Keep in mind that recruitment at Tech starts early (August 16th is the first day... the 15th is the kickoff) so make sure to send the rec soon if you decide to do so!
A lot of girls on my hall freshmen year are in Alpha Chi. They are very smart and involved girls on Georgia Tech's campus. They were first in grades my freshmen and sophomore years. There are Alpha Chis in most of the other organizations I'm involved in on campus.
The great thing about Georgia Tech is that, in the time I have been there, all the sororities have been very strong organizations. Your friend really can't go wrong in any of the houses!
Also, I know Lindsey Kerns! She's just one year younger than me. She was a day chair for Day 2 last year, and did a great job, so I'm looking forward to how good day 1 will be this year. gt_agd, you have me wondering if we've ever met now. I'm in the 2000 pledge class. PM me and we can play the name game to figure out who we know in common!
If your friend has any other questions about recruitment at Georgia Tech, feel free to ask me. I'm getting really excited about it!
~Kathleen