GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,988
3 members and 1,985 guests
naraht, Sarak24034, Xidelt

Old 01-02-2011, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

outsider's perspective/

Wouldn't it be more ideal to say something like "I really think you ladies are amazing. I love the way you all seem to get along. Seeing you is making me excited about my recruitment experience."

It shows interest without being creepy.

/outsider's perspective

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-02-2011, 02:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I lived with two women from another chapter my senior year, and absolutely we talked. Mostly it was about blatantly rude PNM's and things like that, though.

PNM's should react to the situation. If you are preffed by someone with whom you have built a relationship during recruitment (or knew before recruitment), and she says something like "I'd love to see you here on bid day", of course you can respond in kind.

If, OTOH, your rusher is saying things like "I hope you've enjoyed recruitment", than saying "this is my favorite house!!!" is going to be a little creepy.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
outsider's perspective/

Wouldn't it be more ideal to say something like "I really think you ladies are amazing. I love the way you all seem to get along. Seeing you is making me excited about my recruitment experience."

It shows interest without being creepy.

/outsider's perspective
It's a bit formal and prepared, but yeah. It's just that this, unlike some things that are universally major faux pas, is very much a judgment call. And even someone who comes across as overly enthusiastic is probably likely to be given the benefit of the doubt. There's no perfect answer.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
It's a bit formal and prepared, but yeah. It's just that this, unlike some things that are universally major faux pas, is very much a judgment call. And even someone who comes across as overly enthusiastic is probably likely to be given the benefit of the doubt. There's no perfect answer.
Got it.

Clearly, I'm still learning about NPC and its nuances

Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I lived with two women from another chapter my senior year, and absolutely we talked. Mostly it was about blatantly rude PNM's and things like that, though.

PNM's should react to the situation. If you are preffed by someone with whom you have built a relationship during recruitment (or knew before recruitment), and she says something like "I'd love to see you here on bid day", of course you can respond in kind.

If, OTOH, your rusher is saying things like "I hope you've enjoyed recruitment", than saying "this is my favorite house!!!" is going to be a little creepy.
Yeah it's not that we never talked at all, it's just that talking about Suzy PNM saying we were her favorite would never have occurred to us. What conversation did happen was more "LOL can you believe X" and "I'm so effing tired."
Old 01-02-2011, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Got it.

Clearly, I'm still learning about NPC and its nuances
Nah you're fine, I just don't picture your average 18 year old saying exactly what you said
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Except I disagree. I think PNMs should use their own judgement. If they really do ONLY want XYZ then saying that is probably fine earlier. A more benign statement about XYZ being their favorite even if they're still interested in other chapters is also probably fine earlier.

I don't think there's a bottom line that we all agree on, nor will there be.
As I've said before, if a girl only wants one group, that's one thing. But the vast majority of PNMs are better off being open minded. This is why it's a good idea to keep an open mind and present an open minded view to chapters until pref. If on pref night she knows she wants XYZ so badly that she'll list them first or even suicide, there's no point in holding that back. If she says that same thing on night 1 there is definitely the possibility that she'll be dropped from other sororities on campus who don't want to waste space on her, and then she's pigeonholed, or worse gets dropped from recruitment. Therefore it's IMO a really bad idea to make it known that Polly PNM only wants XYZ until she's had the time to at least see the other options...unless she wants to take that gamble (or really is fine with having XYZ or nothing at all, in which case, go for it).

Of course "I really like it here"/"I feel at home here"/"I really like your chapter" are nice and much more general things to say that show genuine interest without making actives think that is the only option Polly is considering.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It seems to me that everyone is assuming that the actives in a chapter will know both where the pnm ranked them, and where the chapter ranked her (Bid list #1 or #2). Is that often the case? In my experience, only a few actives and alumnae know how the chips fall . . . which is good. No new member should have a "Bid list #2" label pinned on her, nor should a chapter know if it was not the new member's first choice.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Yeah it's not that we never talked at all, it's just that talking about Suzy PNM saying we were her favorite would never have occurred to us. What conversation did happen was more "LOL can you believe X" and "I'm so effing tired."
Yes, but if you tell more than one chapter that they are your absolute favorite...well...that could get around.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, but if you tell more than one chapter that they are your absolute favorite...well...that could get around.
Eh - it could well be that in the heat of the moment at pref that chapter WAS your absolute favorite. Many a mind has been changed during pref - heck, many a mind has been changed whilst the pnm stared at that preference ranking form.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
Eh - it could well be that in the heat of the moment at pref that chapter WAS your absolute favorite. Many a mind has been changed during pref - heck, many a mind has been changed whilst the pnm stared at that preference ranking form.
After my first pref party I was 90% sure, truly, that I would list them first. I then went to the second and suicided for my organization. I've watched a ton of PNMs pull the exact same thing. That's why I personally caution against saying for certain Polly PNM only wants XYZ...because minds can change so easily. At least once she makes it to pref, saying XYZ is her favorite is very unlikely to effect her chances if she does change her mind right before she signs the card.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx
Old 01-02-2011, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post

Of course "I really like it here"/"I feel at home here"/"I really like your chapter" are nice and much more general things to say that show genuine interest without making actives think that is the only option Polly is considering.
Of course, I was only pointing out that there was no 'bottom line' at all. It's a pure judgment call. One person's "totally safe" is another person's "not really interested." Just like one person's "showing sincere interest" is another person's "OMG FREAK."

There's not a universal consensus on the topic.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
It seems to me that everyone is assuming that the actives in a chapter will know both where the pnm ranked them, and where the chapter ranked her (Bid list #1 or #2). Is that often the case? In my experience, only a few actives and alumnae know how the chips fall . . . which is good. No new member should have a "Bid list #2" label pinned on her, nor should a chapter know if it was not the new member's first choice.
Yeah the average chapter member would probably be capable of knowing where the PNM is on their bid list, but they'd have to be doing it themselves during MS. That would be nearly impossible and highly unlikely. They wouldn't know where the PNM ranked them unless she told them and was honest about it.
Quote:
Yeah and that would probably happen early on, "we had a girl tell us we were her favorite after the first night!" "Really? We did too, and so did OPQ." "Wait was it So-and-so with the yellow dress?" "YES! OMG"
Actives have their own favorites and can probably figure out who any particular PNM is with effort, but off the top of their head there are probably very few PNMs being talked about in detail with other chapters, and many who they won't recall the names of until later rounds just due to shear numbers.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Along the lines of cleaning up your Facebook profile and/or locking it up....I recently looked up a PNM and she had her page locked....not unusual. I do hate it though...she could have at least put up a flattering profile pic and left something - high school or something - so you can tell she's the "Jenn Johnson from Podunk High going to Big State U."

HOWEVER...searching her name on Google turned up where she posted on a page for people searching for dorm roommates at Big State. There is a list of questions that each person answers. Some of her answers were....ahem...interesting.
Example:

"Party or study? PARTAY.....HELLL YEAH!!!!!!

Not that big a deal....it was her other more explicit, even more illuminating answers that raised the eyebrows.
OTHO....go ahead and leave it up, girly....nobody will know!!
Right.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 04-14-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

LOL @ "Podunk High"

I only use the word "podunk" to describe my mother's hometown in Alabama lol