GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,307
1 members and 1,306 guests
No Members online

Old 11-23-2013, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

That's probably an attempt to minimize the Miss America dresses that would undoubtedly show up without clear direction. While I do have cocktail dresses with bling, I would consider it over the top, even for preference. This isn't prom. Or even a New Year's Eve party.

But I agree about carefully reading your school's rush website. If it's a low pressure school and there's not much stated, you probably want to defer to a less spectacular dress and if it's a high intensity rush school they probably have a lot of rules, in which case you may be required to defer to a less spectacular dress. On the other hand, from just about every website I've seen, you want to go one notch fancier than they say. In their attempt to downplay the clothes they seem to go overboard on the casual. Ask around for protocol.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
GreekChat Member

There isn't anything about sparkle/bling/beading/etc on my school's rush website. Even though we have a large & established Greek system and it's a selective process, I'd say about 85% of girls who don't suicide a chapter make it through rush and we don't have a very strict dress code as long as you attain the appropriate level of formality for each round (while still being fashionable). A certain brand, like Lily, doesn't really dominate the recruitment wardrobe. I asked a few of my sophomore friends in the system, and they replied that sororities don't tend to be nitpicky about decorative accents such as an embellished hem or neckline, as long as you don't look like you're going to prom or are as reflective as a disco ball.

So, I think a little bit of decorative beading would be fine, as long as it isn't overdone and minimal jewelry is worn with that particular outfit. Perhaps the designs on the embellished dark purple dress might be pushing it, even though the beading is dark, but the magenta dress is definitely fine and I believe the black long-sleeved one would also be suitable. I may order both and try them on before returning one.