GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,451
0 members and 1,451 guests
No Members online

Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Post Local Recruitment

Locals tell me about your recruitment!!!!!
I am curious as to what is going on all over campuses as the semseter begins for many students. Today is the first day of classes for many people in the state of PA. And i did wear my letters b/c i want to get some publicity for my sorority. This will be our first year trying to recruit women, who ( iguess id call strangers) -- we are excited and i'm wondering if we should set a quota for ourselves. ... any way. I want to know whats up with everyone else and Fall 2007 recruitment for the locals~ Sept tenth, we have our info meeting and until then i will keep a tally of interests to post up for you guys, all the way until we have our rush week which actually starts the day after.
so good luck to everyone... and please fill me in!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

What would be the point of setting quota for yourselves? Just try to get as much positive PR/advertising as you can, try to have current sisters each invite 2 or 3 friends to the interest meeting, and extend bids to girls who truly show an interest in your organization. This is your first rush. I think your goal should be to have as well an organized, publicized rush as possible. That's a big enough job all by itself!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Coyote extended 4 bids last night and welcomed back one new member who deferred her NM period from the previous semester. COB is next week...

A Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech - Class of 2007
Old 08-31-2007, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
What would be the point of setting quota for yourselves? Just try to get as much positive PR/advertising as you can, try to have current sisters each invite 2 or 3 friends to the interest meeting, and extend bids to girls who truly show an interest in your organization. This is your first rush. I think your goal should be to have as well an organized, publicized rush as possible. That's a big enough job all by itself!
ASA sets "Targets" that are different from the campus Quota for many reasons. Sometimes the "Target" is to take Quota from Rush, and then COB up to Campus Total. Sometimes the "Target" is the amount needed to make dues competitive. Sometimes "Target" for a chapter on a campus that's a struggling group is less than Quota, because it's not realistic to expect them to take Quota, and by pushing them to do so, they're accepting sub-par women back, when they really shouldn't. Etc...

It might sound silly to set Quota for a group who's not really "competing" against other groups, but just saying "We'll take however many quality women walk through the door" can be setting yourself up to NOT work hard at PR and just generally be lazy about recruitment of new members.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

We have our informational night tomorrow night, we are SOOOOO excited!

*A sister in Zeta Xi is for eternity*
Old 09-04-2007, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Apparently, Otterbein (all locals) is doing something different this year. They're having a fall recruitment for upper classwomen and for interested freshmen. Now, to make this more confusing...there will be house tours in fall quarter. Upper classwomen and independent sophomores (sophomores who have rushed and chose not to affiliate with a sorority or dropped from recruitment) may be given bids. However, for freshmen women, this is a "get to know you" exercise, where they will be allowed to tour the house, but cannot be extended a bid.

(still with me?)

Add to this the fact that not all sororities will be taking a class during fall quarter. 3 chapters (including my own) took pledge classes in Winter and Spring. Taking a class this quarter would be 3 straight quarters of nothing but pledging/rush, and I don't know if the chapters can handle that sort of stress, especially because Formal rush happens in Winter quarter, which would be 4 straight quarters of rush/pledging, and no time to be a "chapter" as a whole. I'm kinda fascinated to see how this whole thing plays out, who takes girls who doesn't, or if the campus even responds to it.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
Apparently, Otterbein (all locals) is doing something different this year. They're having a fall recruitment for upper classwomen and for interested freshmen. Now, to make this more confusing...there will be house tours in fall quarter. Upper classwomen and independent sophomores (sophomores who have rushed and chose not to affiliate with a sorority or dropped from recruitment) may be given bids. However, for freshmen women, this is a "get to know you" exercise, where they will be allowed to tour the house, but cannot be extended a bid.

(still with me?)

Add to this the fact that not all sororities will be taking a class during fall quarter. 3 chapters (including my own) took pledge classes in Winter and Spring. Taking a class this quarter would be 3 straight quarters of nothing but pledging/rush, and I don't know if the chapters can handle that sort of stress, especially because Formal rush happens in Winter quarter, which would be 4 straight quarters of rush/pledging, and no time to be a "chapter" as a whole. I'm kinda fascinated to see how this whole thing plays out, who takes girls who doesn't, or if the campus even responds to it.
Even if you aren't extending bids, it would probably be in your group's best interest to participate in the event so the freshmen will know you exist. It would not be pleasant when you do extend bids if no one took you seriously because they'd met all the "real" sororities in the fall.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Even if you aren't extending bids, it would probably be in your group's best interest to participate in the event so the freshmen will know you exist. It would not be pleasant when you do extend bids if no one took you seriously because they'd met all the "real" sororities in the fall.
Nonono, we're all required to participate in the Fall Open House (what I think Panhel is calling it), and we see the benefit in it, for sure. But in terms of my own chapter, I'm not sure if our resources could be stretched to do pledging four quarters in the row. If we do happen to encounter some upper classmen or freshmen during this fall round that would be good potential sisters, hopefully we can convince them to come to recruitment events in winter, when formal happens. The upper classmen wouldn't be required to sign up for formal, we can invite them "off quota", the freshmen would have to do the whole thing again.

In addition, we've finally instituted a ceiling. I think it may be 65? With all of the "out of formal" recruitment going on, it is the only way to keep the big from getting bigger and the small from getting smaller. But again, being locals, there's no real "push" to take quota..yeah its good, but our alumn associations (well, at least mine) doesn't really give a hoot if you take quota or not, as long as at least one girl is pledging.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

16 girls showed up! Pretty good considering it's our first semester on campus and we only advertised on Facebook and Myspace, lol.

Rush week begins on Monday and will go until Friday, with Wednesday off.

Yay for Zeta!

*A sister in Zeta Xi is for eternity*
Old 09-06-2007, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

well we ended up changing our minds about doing recruitment for the sheer fact that its tough to advertise on a campus that will not allow you to advertise. So we are now going to continue with an information session, and then based on that give invitations to women who decided to participate in our plegde process.

BTW its nice to hear about the success of the other locals out there. Hope everthing continues to keeping rolling smoothly.!!!!!