GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,997
2 members and 1,995 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

5-Year Plan

Do any of your chapters have a 5-year plan? I'm putting one together for elections (I'm running for office) and I really think our chapter needs one, for direction and goals to work towards.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter does not have a five year plan. I think that planning and goal setting in advance is a great idea, however, be prepaired for the plan that you draft when running for a particular office to be greatly altered by whoever gets elected for this same office 3, 4 or 5 years down the road. I would personally look at working instead on a 3-year plan so that you or your close friends will still be a part of the collegiate chapter if/when the plan has achieved its goal. Five years may be a bit too long when most collegiates are only around or active in a chapter for only 2-4 years.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

I disagree. Although individual sisters will come and go during that five year period, the organization will be around (hopefully) for much longer. The key to make this work is to make sure you have buy-in from all the sisters, not just the ones currently in leadership roles. The plan has to repesent the goals of all of the future leaders, too, even though they may currently be the newest members in the group.

Take some time to solicit input, review the plan with the whole group, and vote on it. Be flexible and welcoming of the input you receive, and be prepared to make changes in your original vision. Make sure the plan includes an end goal (specific desriptions of what the organization will be like at the end of those five years) as well as action steps and milestones to mark the journey.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Agree ... sort of.

If it is the chapter, likely with the assistance of an advisory board, a 5-year plan is a great objective. However, if you are looking to put together a five year plan for the office you hope to get elected into, I think that the timeline should be shorter because you can only guarantee your own personal participation in this plan (as a collegiate member through graduation). You will need buy-in from the rest of the chapter on longer term goals so perhaps you should focus on running for office on the platform of drafting a five-year plan and hope that the rest of the chapter agrees and votes you into the desired position.