GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,429
2 members and 1,427 guests
bmilesqtivaov13, naraht

Old 08-27-2012, 06:56 PM
GreekChat Member

It is my understanding at SC if a pnm attends two preference parties and lists both she will receive a bid from one of those two. It may not be the chapter the pnm listed first. If a pnm was invited to only one preference party, attended and listed that chapter on her card she should receive a bid from that chapter.

My guess is this year new member classes may be the largest ever at SC.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitKat58 View Post
So would not most PNMs be delighted with the bid they receive?

You would think so, but no, not everyone is thrilled. Some girls are devastated by receiving their second choice on bid day. It may be the first time they haven't gotten something they wanted, or they may genuinely have a huge gap in how they feel about #1 and #2.

They may have lost their favorite early in recruitment, and not really be thrilled about either of their pref chapters. As recruitment becomes more competitive all over, those delicate emotions may be going the way of the dodo.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Slideshow Day at USC

Today the pnms pick up their invitations to Slideshow Day. They may attend up to four parties.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Recruitment Schedule:

Sunday--Conversation Day
Monday--Conversation Day
Women will visit ten chapters. Sigma Delta Tau will participate in this part of formal recruitment.

Tuesday--House Tours
Wednesday--House Tours
Women will visit up to 6 chapters by invitation

Thursday--Slideshow Day
Women will visit up to 4 chapters by invitation

Friday--Preference
Women will visit up to 2 chapters by invitation

Saturday--USC football game in Memorial Coliseum

Sunday--Bid Night

Presents--October 21, 2012

Instead of starting recruitment with “Conversation Day” on Sunday, why didn’t SC start recruitment a day earlier on Saturday? If they had done so, and still followed the same schedule, Bid Night would fall on Friday and there would not be a "need" for an "open day" due to the home football game.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Because it clashes with events for welcome week and the university did not approve. Its the same reason why USC doesnt do recruitment before classes start (a week before) because it clashes with welcome week.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thursday night the fraternities have their "Blue Chip" dinners. These are by invitation only and are essentially the frat version of "pref". Tomorrow (Friday) the frats will extend bids. Not every young man who attends a blue chip dinner will get a bid from that frat.

Two celebs that I am aware of going thru recruitment at USC---Patrick Shriver (Shwarzeneggar...spelled wrong, I know, but I am too lazy to look it up!). Patrick has many good friends from his high school (Brentwood School) in a particular frat. I wont say which one, but it is likely he will get a bid from that frat. Patrick is gorgeous and I am sure the row is buzzing about where he ends up!!

Also rushing is the daughter of Jamie Foxx!!

Wondering, with frat recruitment finished on Friday, but sorority recruitment not finished until Sunday (bid night for the girls), how on earth with the row stay "dry" on Saturday sith USC hosting the first home football game of the season??!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just found out the daughter's friend little sister is rushing!! I am so hoping for a good outcome.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Preference

Friday morning the pnms pick up invitations for Preference parties. A possible new member may accept up to two invitations.

Bid Night will be Sunday evening.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Legacy cut by other sororities

My DD PNM is a legacy to my sorority W which was listed on her recruitment registration and on her resume presented to rec writers. I was not a member of W at USC but at an out-of-state school. She is only a legacy because of me -- not sister, grandmother, etc. I hate the whole tier concept, but allegedly sorority W is a top-tier sorority at USC.

After round 1, DD was cut by XYZ (all so-called top tier USC sororities). She had an amazing rush and was not cut by any other sororities the rest of recruitment. She is hopeful to receive a bid to one of the fabulous chapters she attended for pref!!

My question is: do sororities XYZ automatically cut legacies to W at USC? or I guess it could be any legacies within that "tier"? Any ideas?

I had inquired about leaving legacy information off recruitment registration and other recs (besides legacy rec) altogether but was advised that being a legacy to one chapter showed Greek support.

Is it better to omit W, X, Y or Z legacy status at USC?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Mamagreek, I have no clue, I'm sorry.

I'm expecting quota at SC to be a record high this year... like absurdly so (for us).
Old 09-02-2012, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Look Forrward

From women I have heard about through the years who had legacy daughters it appears some are released from their legacy chapters and others are not. SC has families where generation after generation wish to enroll. Some of the older chapters have more legacies than spots in the new member class. Some are legacies to two or more chapters.

Member selection is private information. Your daughter has had great choices. She appears happy with her invitations and is looking forward to a wonderful experience in her new home.

From what I understand many women were released completely and would love to be in your daughter's place tomorrow.

I wish her happiness Sunday evening when she opens her bid!

Last edited by Football Fan; 09-02-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: Correction: It should read Look Forward
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 AM
GreekChat Member

The unique SC Song Girls....kaeb,

We are guessing now as I can only speculate how many attended preference parties. Do you think the new member classes will reach 80?

Last edited by Football Fan; 09-02-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
GreekChat Member

@mamagreek: each group has their own private membership selection process so I can only say for sure that the only case that it should be left off the information submitted is if your D would definately refuse a bid to her legacy group for some reason...
Did she pref at her legacy house on Friday? Good luck to her (and you) today! All of the houses are wonderful and the Greek community is great at USC ! Please come back and tell us where she ends up or even share her recruitment story

Last edited by Pearly; 09-02-2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Too vain to wear needed reading glasses
Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
The unique SC Song Girls....kaeb,

We are guessing now as I can only speculate how many attended preference parties. Do you think the new member classes will reach 80?
Here is my dumb question. Why do they call them song girls when they are a dance group?
Old 09-02-2012, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Can I profess my love for marqise lee yet? =) I love this year!

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude