GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,086
0 members and 2,086 guests
No Members online

Old 07-02-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
I've never been to Starbucks but I really hope they don't get rid of the two Starbucks on South Shepherd and West Gray (right across the street from each other) in Houston. Can't help but think about Lewis Black's standup and laugh everytime I drive by.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't really like Starbucks coffee. It's way too strong.

If all of them closed I wouldn't miss them.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 07-02-2008, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojapeach View Post
I'm proud to be a Caribou Coffee fan, and I bet the people in their corporate offices are having a pretty nifty day.
Naw, they are too busy training Palestinian suicide bombers to even notice.
http://www.snopes.com/business/alliance/caribou.asp

Sorry, but I couldn't resist.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar281 View Post
I've never been to Starbucks but I really hope they don't get rid of the two Starbucks on South Shepherd and West Gray (right across the street from each other) in Houston. Can't help but think about Lewis Black's standup and laugh everytime I drive by.
Ha! That kills me too. I remember when I heard that Lewis Black routine and remembered driving by those 2 Starbucks all the time when I lived in Houston.

I don't drink coffee, but I used to get dragged to Starbucks with friends and the funny thing about those two locations across the street is that they have completely different clientele.

For those not familiar with Houston, these two Starbucks are in a commercial area that has River Oaks to the west (River Oaks being one of the two best neighborhoods along with Memorial Villages which are just to the west of River Oaks) and then Montrose to the east which used to be more of the artsy area and still is, but is also more young professionals now with the condos going in.

The Starbucks on the north side of West Gray is where all the River Oaks people go, and the one on the south is where the Montrose people go- notably some very freaky nasty lesbians who would smoke cigars on the patio.

So while it seems odd to have two locations so close together, it actually makes sense.

What has NEVER made sense to me is having 5 Starbucks in or within a block of the Galleria.

Either way, Starbucks is a fad and they sell a very unhealthy product for a high price. Even the food they sell is all horrifically bad for you. I have never invested in the company on moral grounds and also because I firmly believed that once we hit hard times, designer coffee would be the first thing to go and the company would tank hard and fast.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:32 PM

I won't miss them because I don't drink coffee at all, but I wonder if either of the two of them withing two minutes walk of my house will close.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
From what I read initally, it seems like the majority (unfortunately) will be in Florida and California because that is where the biggest housing crisises (whatever the plural of that is) are taking place.

They do have too many on top of each other. At first there was one in the SuperTarget I used to work in. Then one near the movie theater two towns (down the road) over. It has a drive through and is 24 hours. Then they put one a street light down from the Target. Then one in the old mall (a bit further away). Then one in the new mall. Now that B&N has opened at the new mall, they have one too, but it's like right NEXT to the other one! You exit B&N, walk up, and cross the little road that goes through it! Same plaza!

I knew it was ridiculous when I saw a sign going up in East side of my city. The majority of the people who live there don't even drink coffee!!! (Did they do any research?) My sorority sister lives there and she said it looks like they're not even going to bother opening anymore though.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 07-02-2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
From what I read initally, it seems like the majority (unfortunately) will be in Florida and California because that is where the biggest housing crisises (whatever the plural of that is) are taking place.
I can understand them closing a lot in Florida. During the last few years it seemed as if there over all planning/expansion plan was a little off. They would open 1 store just a few months after another in the same exact area. Not very smart....

My campus had a Starbucks and their were 4 other just across the street at the mall and another 2 and a Badd Ass just a few miles away.

Where I live they have been popping up left and right. A few years ago if I wanted Starbucks on the commute I had one store to choose from...I now have 4!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
I have a number of Starbucks opening in my county and seeking employees. Good luck, Starbucks. Low paying retail/service jobs are played out around here.
Actually Starbucks pays pretty well, at least around my area from what I've heard from friends (and friends of friends..lol).

I know my friend & her boyfriend were living together, each had their own job (he was a manager for Keva Juice, and she worked in a daycare), barely squeaking out a living. He moved to Starbucks to try and work up to manager (if he wasn't there already) and they were able to live off his income alone. And he kept about the same hours he did at Keva.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
I knew it was ridiculous when I saw a sign going up in East side of my city. The majority of the people who live there don't even drink coffee!!! (Did they do any research?) My sorority sister lives there and she said it looks like they're not even going to bother opening anymore though.
Yeah, that's the problem with how they expanded.

Most of the stores in Miami are pretty popular, but then there are some that are bordering lower-income neighborhoods and are in areas where people don't drink coffee. They should've done their research.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANTHERTEKE View Post
Yeah, that's the problem with how they expanded.

Most of the stores in Miami are pretty popular, but then there are some that are bordering lower-income neighborhoods and are in areas where people don't drink coffee. They should've done their research.
coffee is pretty universal. people drink coffee everywhere, whether its a $4 latte or a 50-cent cup from the cart, or even the Folgers they brew at home. its a matter of whether ppl are willing to pay Sbux prices and consistently enough.

If one went up in my neighborhood (in Queens), it wouldnt make money. not because they dont drink coffee, because they cant afford it. and Sbux intimidates the average Joe. (yes, i know you like my puns.) why screw up an order for a Grande Double Shot of whatever when you can order a Large coffee with cream and sugar at DD for a lot less and you know exactly what youre getting?
Old 07-03-2008, 01:38 AM
Unregistered-

According to a local article I read, we only have 84 stores in Hawai'i and the bulk of them opened before 2006. I imagine the ones opened after 2006 are located in areas where rapid development's going on.

Starbucks and their partner company Jamba Juice are pretty big here -- and the stories are usually right next door to each other.

I get the feeling on a handful of stores might be affected, if any.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
According to a local article I read, we only have 84 stores in Hawai'i and the bulk of them opened before 2006. I imagine the ones opened after 2006 are located in areas where rapid development's going on.

Starbucks and their partner company Jamba Juice are pretty big here -- and the stories are usually right next door to each other.

I get the feeling on a handful of stores might be affected, if any.
i thought Jamba Juice was owned by the folks who head up Chipotle. oh well.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I don't know anything about JJ corporate, so you may be right.

I think it might just be a Hawai'i thing.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epchick View Post
Actually Starbucks pays pretty well, at least around my area from what I've heard from friends (and friends of friends..lol).

I know my friend & her boyfriend were living together, each had their own job (he was a manager for Keva Juice, and she worked in a daycare), barely squeaking out a living. He moved to Starbucks to try and work up to manager (if he wasn't there already) and they were able to live off his income alone. And he kept about the same hours he did at Keva.
Yeah, they pay pretty well for food service....part-time employees get health insurance, and they try to pay a living wage. As many justified complaints I hear about Starbucks, I'm quick to defend them over how they pay their employees.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Not sure about now, but at one point McDonald's owned Chipotle. I used to like eating there until I looked up the nutritional data online. Even the rice itself is loaded with fat from whatever they put on it to give it that appealing taste. Sadly enough, healthy as it seems, in some ways Chipotle is just as bad as fast food.