GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,329
0 members and 2,329 guests
No Members online

Old 09-16-2012, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you very much, jg_wi (my abbreviation for your username because typing "just" looks awkward to me).

(and justgo looks rude!)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-16-2012, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

I am NOT talking about the Ohio Miami... I got tO the UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, FL! )
Old 09-16-2012, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umiamigirl View Post
I am NOT talking about the Ohio Miami... I got tO the UNIVERSITY OF MIAMI, FL! )
WHAT? oh MAN!

my bad. I am really hazy on anything east of the Rockies. Provincial attitude, I know. sorry for assuming it was Ohio. Ohio, Florida...yeah, one place has gators. The other has ... has ...

nevermind. I'm going back into my corner. They know me there.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 09-16-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:15 PM
GreekChat Member

So you won't be enrolled FT at UM? You can't go through recruitment if that is the case. You'll be enrolled as a visiting student at another school and not attending classes at Miami, based on what you said you'll just be hanging out in Miami during Jan-Feb. You need to be enrolled as a FT degree seeking undergrad during the semester you plan to go through recruitment.

Enjoy your study abroad program and go through recruitment the following year. You'll probably have fewer sorority options as an upperclassman in recruitment, so be prepared for a lot of early cuts based on your class status.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

My study abroad is an exchange program. That means that it is not a transfer or a visiting student or anything like that. It's a UM program, with UM teachers teaching the course...I pay University of Miami tuition, and my transcript will show that I attended the UM at that time... So that is def not an issue.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Look, you can't pledge and not be there.

There are groups that COB that may not advertise it...

I would look into these groups or wait until formal as a junior.

I graduated from UM FYI.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Then how would you suggest I ask if there are any COB's this semester? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then how would you suggest I ask if there are any COB's this semester? Thanks in advance.
Call/email/visit the greek life office and ask.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Ladies: She said in her original post that she attends UM in Florida so calm down about that. And study abroad is a standard part of the college program. It's not unusual for people to do second semester sophomore or junior year abroad as part of their undergrad work. You get regular college credits for the entire semester. Usually, part of the semester is done in class at the college and the remainder on site in a foreign country. For us oldtimers, semester abroad is unusual but it is a standard on many campuses today. Many NPC groups have had to implement policies regarding housing requirements, dues, etc to accomodate these students.

All that being said, it is in the OP's best interest to talk to the Greek Life Office regarding her particular situation.

And as an aside, we've all gotten a little testy this fall, myself included. Let's try to be a bit more PH in our responses. I'm beginning to tire of this and the number of closed threads this fall is sad.

Thanks!
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm PMing you.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Ladies: She said in her original post that she attends UM in Florida so calm down about that. And study abroad is a standard part of the college program. It's not unusual for people to do second semester sophomore or junior year abroad as part of their undergrad work. You get regular college credits for the entire semester. Usually, part of the semester is done in class at the college and the remainder on site in a foreign country. For us oldtimers, semester abroad is unusual but it is a standard on many campuses today. Many NPC groups have had to implement policies regarding housing requirements, dues, etc to accomodate these students.

All that being said, it is in the OP's best interest to talk to the Greek Life Office regarding her particular situation.

And as an aside, we've all gotten a little testy this fall, myself included. Let's try to be a bit more PH in our responses. I'm beginning to tire of this and the number of closed threads this fall is sad.

Thanks!

Thank you so much. I will definitely try to talk to my Greek Life Office... and hopefully I find some luck there!

Not to bring the sob story in, but here it is...I am a commuter at the University of Miami. As a freshman last semester, it was REALLY hard to make friends. Not living on campus like everyone else and living at home with my parents while everyone was establishing friendships outside of class was quite difficult. I should have rushed as a freshman, yes... but I was not aware of registration or recruitment week (my fault of course). So hopefully greek life will make me feel a little more welcomed in college, and I can make great friends along the way too. Seeing how the sisters love and care for each other makes me want to be a part of that too. Hopefully y'all understand !
Old 09-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

So if recruitment is in early January and she leaves in March, she very well could be initiated by March, which should solve any problems. Seems like the only worry might be if she missed most of her new member program, which she shouldn't unless she went Chi O, which has its NM program the whole first semester.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the confusion is in the half a semester exchange program, which I for one have never heard of.

I know it kind of sucks to informal rush and miss out on getting the full picture, but if you want to be in a sorority, it would be a shame to miss out on all of it because of inconvenient timing for a study abroad program, of which I'm a true believer. I would also never suggest a person pass up any opportunity to study abroad.

I would look into informaling this fall and hopefully you will find a home that way. Although the available chapter/s might not be the most competitive of the group, it will still offer you a great sisterhood as well as the lifetime membership that is so treasured by most of us here.

And although the colony talk up thread was accidentally about Miami of Ohio, according to the NPC Recruitment thread, there is going to be a colony coming on at UM, still to be determined which. This would probably happen next fall and could be an excellent opportunity for you to get the best of both worlds. When you're inquiring about informal opportunities, you might also ask when they anticipate this colony to happen.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you all for the help and support.

DubaiSis., just to clear things up...UM semester is January-early May. The study abroad program is early March-Late July
Old 09-16-2012, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
DubaiSis., just to clear things up...UM semester is January-early May. The study abroad program is early March-Late July
I think that may be part of the confusion. I am assuming (sorry if I am wrong) that many of us are familiar with a study abroad program that would run the same time as normal semester schedule, January to May. It confuses us to see a student leave part way through a semester. From what I am reading, you attend a class(es) and then go to study abroad where the professors are accredited/staffed by UM. Are all your classes planned for study abroad? For instance, do all study abroad participants take a set of classes specialized for study abroad?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot