GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,157
2 members and 1,155 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-31-2018, 01:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Salisbury University

Hi,

I'm an alum of SU, but went Greek at UMD. Does anyone know why SU placed a moratorium on expansion, and what their next steps are? i would love to see a new sorority on SU's campus-I'd like to see a breakaway from the stereotypes and cliches of the chapters already on campus.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:03 AM

A new sorority doesn't mean the whole Greek system automatically changes. The people who go there are still the people who go there, and a sorority that tries to be too much "the un-sorority" or "not like the other GLOs" often runs into numbers issues a few years down the road.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I also know that quota was around 28, because that was the size of one of the pledge classes this spring. Is expansion really needed if interest and chapter sizes aren't that high?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmak2015 View Post
Hi,

I'm an alum of SU, but went Greek at UMD. Does anyone know why SU placed a moratorium on expansion, and what their next steps are? i would love to see a new sorority on SU's campus-I'd like to see a breakaway from the stereotypes and cliches of the chapters already on campus.
It's always great to see new chapters on campus, but you don't want to put the cart before the horse. And I can guarantee you that a new chapter isn't going to magically erase all of the stereotypes of the current Greek chapters.

I don't know the exact reason for the moratorium, but I'm sure I could make some educated guesses. I'm sure you could, too. But I won't speculate out loud here.

All I know for sure is that these decisions aren't made on a whim. There must be a good reason for the moratorium, and I trust that Salisbury/Panhellenic is making the best decision for their campus right now.

@~/~~~~