GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,144
1 members and 1,143 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 09-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapcat View Post
Go Iowa! 907! Is the the actual total? Impressive. The houses will be bursting at the seams. Talk about a "fuel injected" Greek system!
Yes that is the total 907. Up from 872 last year
Old 09-08-2013, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

I just abhor the "top/bottom" tier vocabulary. What makes one chapter "better" than another? I would love to see a study done... Show a photo of a chapter, no definable letters or colors lay them all out and have people rank.. I'll bet, based in looks, most chapters are very similar, but there are some "cookie cutter" houses out there. And I suppose tiers also play into other facets of the college community. I remember way back I went to a state school. There was a sorority, probably a mid to low "tier". But! Their claim to fame? They had the current miss Illinois in the house! She put her crown and sash on display during rush. You never know what type of girls are in the sea of smiling faces!
Old 09-08-2013, 11:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
So they beat last year's numbers! We need a bunch of old broads standing on every street corner saying DON'T DROP OUT!!!! DON'T DROP OUT!!! Kind of like the bible beaters on the Pentacrest. HA! The picture I have in my head is positively hysterical.

Jill, can you confirm the 2 preference parties thing? And do you know the reasoning behind that?
I heard the reason why preference round is only 2 chapters instead of 3 is because one chapter is only doing the first round of recruitment. So, there are 13 chapters that are giving bids through formal recruitment. Which is why they lowered the numbers to even things out.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Just chiming in...

I am a chapter advisor and was on campus yesterday for part of the Welcome Back round. The chapter is enthused with the overall registration numbers and hope that we don't lose too many with this weird broken up schedule.

Three cheers for Iowa Greek Life!
Old 09-09-2013, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still hoping to see a good recruitment story!!! Anyone..... Crickets.... With all this action!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

I know scheduling can be difficult, but they really didn't do the PNMs or actives any favors with having rounds the same weekend as a home FB game and then the ISU/Iowa game.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
I know scheduling can be difficult, but they really didn't do the PNMs or actives any favors with having rounds the same weekend as a home FB game and then the ISU/Iowa game.
Agreed, it's a mess. Our seniors are especially annoyed with the football situation.
Old 09-09-2013, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Talked to my daughter last night. She already has a rush crush who is a legacy at another chapter. We'll see. Hope everything goes well for 3rd Round and Prefs. Good luck to all!
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The football games were a terrible bit of timing! Next Saturday the big rivalry is an away game I believe.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapcat View Post
The football games were a terrible bit of timing! Next Saturday the big rivalry is an away game I believe.
Yes, the game is in Ames. Kickoff isn't until 5pm, which is rather late for that game. I hope girls don't drop out just because they would rather tailgate in Ames. Or, tailgate and then drive back to IC and try to attempt attending parties (I'm not sure what the schedule is for Saturday).
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

If my math is right, its Preference. Since they're only having 2, being completely done before gametime shouldn't be a problem. Although roadtripping would be out of the question.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If my math is right, its Preference. Since they're only having 2, being completely done before gametime shouldn't be a problem. Although roadtripping would be out of the question.
Wow...that might have been a serious deal breaker for me at 18. I am a huge sports fan. I hope it doesn't impact the chapters too greatly.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUKappa View Post
Yes, the game is in Ames. Kickoff isn't until 5pm, which is rather late for that game. I hope girls don't drop out just because they would rather tailgate in Ames. Or, tailgate and then drive back to IC and try to attempt attending parties (I'm not sure what the schedule is for Saturday).
THIS is exactly what I think will happen. Girls who aren't 100 percent committed to the idea of a sorority or who aren't thrilled with their invites will drop out of recruitment and head to Ames.

I could be wrong (and I hope I am). But, I feel like I'm pretty in tune with the general U of Iowa freshman girl vibe -- since I live in Iowa and am the mom of a recent Iowa high school graduate (who decided to head out of state for college). I've also got two rec girls at Iowa and two of my daughter's best friends are Iowa PNMs (but declined my repeated offers to write them recs ).
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to the information in Iowa's Greek life brochure (online), Preference isn't until Sunday. Friday and Saturday are both the Sisterhood round. If my rec girls are giving me correct information, they can be invited to up to 6 chapters for that round -- but I don't know how many parties are scheduled for Friday evening/night and how many are scheduled for Saturday. I think the scheduling is really unfortunate and hope it doesn't cause havoc with retention rates.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I know the girls who it really will impact are the ones who have to travel -cheer, poms etc... Horrible planning two football weekends in a row but such is the nature of fall football in a big 10 world!